Hondo's Bar

The Best Doors Album Ever

alive she cried

The Doors' Albums  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

I fuckin love the Doors more than alive loves fucking up polls, and that's a lot.

But to be honest, ill throw on the Doors greatest hits if im kinda in the mood, or their box set (one of the few i still have, its that, Cash, Tom Petty & Zeppelin basically) if i really wanna hear some shit. As with any, Greatest Hits has you covered for the usual, "Break on Through", "Riders of the Storm" (my favorite), and such, but if im in the mood for "Soul Kitchen", "Alabama Whiskey Song" and such, the box set has that plus some of the unreleased tracks that arent bad either.

I couldnt get into Morisson's poetry, much as i tried with American Prayer, but Stoned Immaculate, their tribute album was surprisingly good. To this day, im still impressed by Creed's cover of Riders of the Storm, way better than i thought them capable of.

A two disc set without Peace Frog? I know they left it off the one disc one, but two discs an no Peace Frog?

I like Waiting for the Sun, and if this was a poll, I'd vote for it, as the eponymous, Strange Days, Morrison Hotel and LA Woman get so much love and I feel Waiting gets forgotten sometimes. The Soft Parade deserved the criticism it got in its day, and I'll leave it at that.

Great topic.

Shoulda beena poll.

If anyone knows anything about me and my taste in music... The Doors, for me, are right at the the top of the list.

I love this band...everything, not just Jim... about them.

I have almost everything they ever recorded, picking up The Rareties package a little while back and playing it constantly... it's the analog original track sound so it's not tampered with.

B00004U8DW.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

1. Hello to the Cities [Live]

2. Break on Through (To the Other Side) [Live]

3. Roadhouse Blues [Live]

4. Hyacinth House [Demo Version]

5. Who Scared You?

6. Whiskey, Mystics and Men [Live]

7. I Will Never Be Untrue [Live]

8. Moonlight Drive [Demo Version]

9. Queen of the Highway [Alternative Version]

10. Someday Soon [Live]

11. Hello, I Love You [Demo Version]

12. Orange County Suite

13. Soft Parade [Live]

14. End [Live]

15. Woman Is a Devil [*]

Here's a great link for them, their discography and such...

-The DOORS Link-

This site is pretty cool featuring many genres of music and artists.

For me... fave album - Morrison Hotel -

B000002I2I.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

1. Roadhouse Blues

2. Waiting for the Sun

3. You Make Me Real

4. Peace Frog

5. Blue Sunday

6. Ship of Fools

7. Land Ho!

8. The Spy

9. Queen of the Highway

10. Indian Summer

11. Maggie M'Gill

Fave song - Roadhouse Blues, Ship of Fools close second... that's why I chose this album.

wanted.jpg

Edited by MusicManiac

Great topic.

Shoulda beena poll.

I know, I know. It's just since the forum was updated, Polls won't work for me, I don't know why.

So if you or Jax as mods would like to create the poll, fire away

I think the non-Jim albums should be included too, despite never hearing 'em

Here's my ratings

1. The Doors ***** (best songs - Break On Through, Light My Fire, End Of The Night, The End)

2. Strange Days ***** (bs - Strange Days, Love Me Times, People Are Strange, When The Musics Over)

3. Waiting For The Sun ***** (Summer's Almost Gone, Spanish Caravan, Unknown Soldier, Yes The River Knows)

4. Soft Parade *** (bs - Wishful Sinful, The Soft Parade, Touch Me, Wild Child)

5. Morrison Hotel ***** (bs - Roadhouse Blues, Waiting For The Sun, Maggie Magill, Blue Sunday)

6. L.A. Woman ***** (bs - Cars Hiss By My Window, Been Down So Long, Hyacinth House, Riders On The Storm)

7. American Prayer **** (bs - Ghost Song, Feast Of Friends, Roadhouse Blues-Live, Bird Of Prey)

8. Other Voices (never heard it)

9. Full Circle (never heard it)

The Doors IMO are the best band ever, Most great bands have either brilliant music or brilliant lyrics,

The Doors have both.

and now one the best quotes ever

"Jim: Listen man listen, do any of you believe in astrology?

girl in crowd: I do, are you a sagittarius?

Jim: Yeah baby, I am a sagittarius

girl: I am too, I look up on it all the time

Jim: well anyway, I don't believe in it

girl: I don't either

Jim: I think it's a pile of bullshit myself, well I don't know what's gonna happen man, but I want to get my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames, alright, ALRIGHT"

Edited by alive she cried

I know, I know. It's just since the forum was updated, Polls won't work for me, I don't know why.

So if you or Jax as mods would like to create the poll, fire away

It is done. I have breathed life onto that which you have besmirched.

I completely disagree with you regarding putting non Jim albums on this poll, therefore I deem it acceptable to limit the votes options available for others. Draconian Jax's word is now law!

This is what happened,

Jim recorded some of his poetry, for a possible future release or something, anyway Pam kills him, so the Doors are fucked, but decide they can make albums without jim. They were wrong.

So after this, what the remaining members did was get these recordings and put music around them, and I gotta tell you it works.

Two of my favourite doors songs are on this album, Ghost Song and Feast Of Friends

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To Alive She Cried/Extinct She Died and others interested in Jim Morrison news, check out this site for all you need to start petitioning the governemnt of Miami-Dade County and the state of Florida to grant 35 years dead Jim Morrison a full pardon for the charges against him.

The edict lifting Galileo's excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church for contradicting Psalm 93:1, Psalm 96:10, Chronicles 16:30 ("the world is firmly established, it cannot be moved"), Psalm 104:5 ("[the LORD] set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved"), and Ecclesiastes 1:5 ("the sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises"), came in 1992, only 359 years after his sentence was handed down. I wonder if Miami-Dade County can hold out longer than the Roman Catholic Church.

• 2 years later...
It is done. I have breathed life onto that which you have besmirched.I completely disagree with you regarding putting non Jim albums on this poll, therefore I deem it acceptable to limit the votes options available for others. Draconian Jax's word is now law!
DENIED! The poll has been corrected and deserves more than 3 fucking votes

8. Other Voices (never heard it)

9. Full Circle (never heard it)

Heard both of 'em Pile o' shit

Edited by alive she cried

To Alive She Cried/Extinct She Died and others interested in Jim Morrison news, check out this site for all you need to start petitioning the governemnt of Miami-Dade County and the state of Florida to grant 35 years dead Jim Morrison a full pardon for the charges against him.

The edict lifting Galileo's excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church for contradicting Psalm 93:1, Psalm 96:10, Chronicles 16:30 ("the world is firmly established, it cannot be moved"), Psalm 104:5 ("[the LORD] set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved"), and Ecclesiastes 1:5 ("the sun rises and the sun sets, and hurries back to where it rises"), came in 1992, only 359 years after his sentence was handed down. I wonder if Miami-Dade County can hold out longer than the Roman Catholic Church.

Why are we pardoning a dead man? Is it so he can reveal his death was an elaborate ruse and come back and hang out and maybe bring Andy Kaufman and Tupac?

• 1 month later...

The targets of these parodies more often than not love Weird Al's parodies. Dweezil Zappa, who tours the country playing his father's songs in a show he calls "Zappa does Zappa", played guitar on a Weird Al song homage to Frank Zappa. MJ gave Weird Al access to his sets, wardrobe, props, etc to recreate the Beat It and Bad videos. Kurt Cobain said he didn't feel he truly "made it" until he Weird Al asked him if he could parody Smells Like Teen Spirit. Chamillionaire appear in the White & Nerdy video. The two most notable exceptions are Coolio and Eminem, and with Coolio it was a miscommunication, and Eminem said he was ok with it at first then said he didn't want a video made once he heard the song.

• 2 years later...

For ASC:

That is Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek playing in this song.

The cover art for the single.

:FHD: for that man, how have I never seen this before?

Oh also I came to post this

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1KtXdL/notalwaysright.com/singleminded-surcharge/935

(I am running the lights for a concert. The listing online shows the doors open at 6:30 and the music starts at 9.

A woman approaches me at my console.)

Customer: “Excuse me, do you know when each band is on?”

Me: “Yes I do, which band are you interested in?”

Customer: “Did I already miss ‘The Doors’ play, or are they going to be on stage later on tonight?”

Me: “Um. I think you may have missed your opportunity to see ‘The Doors’ play by a little while.”

• 1 year later...

Ray Manzarek, keyboardist with the Doors, dies aged 74

FILE-Musician-Ray-Manzare-010.jpg

Ray Manzarek at the Sunset music festival in Hollywood in August 2011. The keyboardist in the Doors has died aged 74. Photograph: Joe Kohen/FilmMagic

Ray Manzarek, a founding member with The Doors whose keyboard work was a touchstone of hits like Break On Through to the Other Side and Light My Fire, has died at the age of 74 after a battle with cancer.

The musician died at a clinic in Rosenheim, Germany, surrounded by members of his family, according to a statement issued by his publicist.

Manzarek formed the Doors after a chance meeting in July 1965 on Venice Beach, Los Angeles, with Jim Morrison, a fellow alumni from the film school who was to become the band's vocalist.

After they were joined by Robby Krieger on guitar and John Densmore on drums, the band released six albums, all of which were successful. After Morrison's death in 1971, the band continued on as a trio, releasing two more albums.

Manzarek, who was born and raised in Chicago and studied at the Department of Cinematography at UCLA, Manzarek occasionally sang for the Doors and was portrayed by Kyle MacLachlan in the 1991 film biopic about the band.

"I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek today," Krieger said in a statement.

"I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him."

Manzarek played in several other bands after the Doors, including Nite City, a rock group which released a number of albums in the 1970s.

In 1998 he wrote a best-selling memoir about his experiences, Light My Fire: My Life with the Doors. He is survived by his wife Dorothy, a son, and three grandchildren.[/font]

I was just talking about him last night, about when I saw him and Robby Krieger live in Dublin. Hearing him play the intros to Riders On The Storm and Light My Fire is one of the best moments of my life.

RIP you fucking legend.