Hondo's Bar

Ireland's National Soccer Team

alive she cried

Man i'd a great reply which didn't post.

I do respect your opinion man, but to thats a bit hard to take when they were in the World Cup 2002, and Came close for 2004, and 2006.

Rugby is leaps and bounds ahead because the team is successful, beaten England 4 times since they won the world cup.

When Ireland were qualifying for tournaments they always had the public behind them

To be honest its sickening to see people jump on teh Rugby band wagon cos we're doing well, you should support your country no matter what type of sport. Whether its

rugby, soccer, compromise rules, cricket. But for people to dismiss the Irish Soccer team now cos of the success (Triple Crowns in my opinion are a waste of time, when its counted in the 6 nations, we've choked)

of the Irish Rugby team is a tad hard to take cos only a few years ago it was all about teh Irish Soccer team.

Its like all these Chelsea "fans" who've come out of the woodwork recently, you support your team through thick and thin, people who understand sport know this!

Its been a hard couple of years as a man united fan let me tell ya!

The state of Irish Football at the moment leaves a lot to be desired especially considering the muppets who are running it.

It proves one thing, Roy Keane was right!

• 4 weeks later...

today, he showed how inferior of a manager he is... finnan, a right back , playing at left back, o shea, someone who can play at left back no problem, at right back...

stephen ireland out wide right when he's a center man... douglas and carsley in the same midfield... two overly similar players who never want to be on...

doyle starting on the bench....

WHAT THE FUCK

• 6 months later...
This is my opinion on the Irish "soccer team": we have a soccer team?

Fuck sake, we have an absolutely world class rugby team (which is cross-border i might add, you dont see an Northern Ireland rugby team do you? rugby is leaps and bounds ahead of soccer in every aspect in this country) 3rd in the world when last i checked. At least get behind the winning side. Nobody'll judge you cos half the bloody country hopped on the bandwagon once the Irish team started kicking ass left right and centre (3 victories in a row over southern hemisphere sides anyone?).

I'm not a bandwagon hopper as ive been behind Irish rugby for a number of years but im sorry guys Irish football is an absolute joke and its always going to be.

Still thinking that way after the world cup eh?

Anyway our prayers could be answered tonight, word is Staunton has been given the bullet

not literally unfortunately

Liam Brady, detest why, he's head of Youth Development at Arsenal, so he should get loads of credit for that, but not the Ireland Job.

Roeder, you're having a laugh right, we should be looking at someone who's currently employed @ international level, or look at an experienced manager who's not out of the game too long, personally i'd like to see either Souness or Jewell

my skin curdles at the thought of having a washed up hack of a pundit (brady) as our manager, yes, im thankful for what he's done for our kids, but in charge of our country, you're talking kerr mk.2

as for roeder, he's been a good astute manager regardless of his club...

Jewell i can't disagree with but souness just seems like a right prat.

I'd not mind souness, he'd probably be one of the few managers out there with the stones to drop robbie keane!

my thoughts exactly, that's one of the main reasons why i want a non-irish manager.

everybody irish seems to love him, even brady, giles and dunphy never criticise him, and they hate everybody who is'nt scholes or fabregas.

ha ha true.

I know he was a stinking Hun (managing rangers and all) but he's managed all over europe, and has done quite well at most clubs he's been at.

I'd definitely prefer him to O'Leary thats for sure. At least you'd see passion, and possibly an ass kicking handed down to one or two of our better players!

Archived