Hondo's Bar

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

I searched this corner of the forum for a post about this movie, but I couldn't find one. So I apologize in advance if it had already been made. I saw it mentioned in a few threads, but didn't find a post just for this...

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

"He lived to find beauty. He killed to possess it."

414710549_6dad0e83cd_o.jpg

Trailer

Perfume is based on the Best Selling Novel by Patrick Suskind. Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, born in the stench of eighteenth century Paris, develops a superior olfactory sense, which he uses to create the world's finest perfumes. His work, however, takes a dark turn as he tries to preserve scents in the search for the ultimate perfume.

The film stars Ben Whishaw (Jean-Baptiste Grenouille),

414720095_71f0e6d03d_o.jpg

Dustin Hoffman (Giuseppe Baldini),

414720101_7446e174d2_o.jpg

and Alan Rickman (Antoine Richis).

414720088_d4a0cdc382_o.jpg

I'm certainly not an expert, but the acting was divinely superb and you believe every second of it (Whishaw, especially). (I'm also a sucker for Hoffman. He's an awesome actor).

414727696_09c57408ec_o.jpg414727211_3ad02a3083_o.jpg

Screenplay Written and Directed by Tom Tykwer (Run Lola Run, Princes and the Warrior), this movie serves as a beautiful breath of fresh air for fans of his work. I could not get over how stunning this movie is visually and The story is most amazing. The movie's soundtrack is also composed by Tom Tykwer, along with Johnny Klimer and Reinhold Heil. (Though they are not credited as such on the soundtrack, these three make up the band Pale 3. They also composed the music for Run Lola Runn and Princess and the warrior). I know I got a delightful treat out of the soundtrack, not because of it's beauty and ability to place you where Grenouille is in the film and submerse you in his emotions, but it's a different kind of sound for the group to make. The music is performed by the Berliner Philharmoniker, complete with a choir that is not overpowering.

Also a treat, John Hurt narrates the film, and from what I've read on the IMDB boards, the majority of the narrative is taken directly from the book.

414727221_d723fe2f77_o.jpg414729521_065b003825_o.jpg

The film was released in Germany and the UK September 14th, 2006, and here in the US December 27th 2006(limited release) & January 5th, 2007(wide release). Cj and I unfortunately did not see this in theaters (I'm kicking myself in the ass right now as I'm sure it would be ten times as awesome on the widescreen with amazing audioattack5000 rather than at home on the computer). We watched it early February I believe and I had been bugging the shit out of Cj to watch it again with me until he relented last night, haha. THAT is how much I loved it. We don't purchase many DVDs, but this will be one that we get as soon as it is released on DVD.

414727209_34fb3583d1_o.jpg

Anyhow, I've been listening to the soundtrack straight for the past few days now. I cannot get enough of it, as well as the movie itself.

414710550_11c5743176.jpg414710548_2a1fca454b.jpg

Some information taken from IMDB.com

It is so amazing! It's not playing in theaters near me anymore (sad) but I'm not sure about FL. You may have to download this or wait for it's release to DVD.. I haven't been able to find a date for the USA yet/

Here is a better Synopsis of the film:

In 18th-century France, Jean-Baptiste Grenouille, orphaned as a newborn in the streets of Paris, is alone in the world. A peculiar child who rarely speaks, Grenouille is alienated from others but blessed with a remarkable gift. His sense of smell is so refined, so attuned to every blade of grass and blossoming flower, that it's tragic when he's sold into servitude to a tannery at the age of 13 and surrounded by the foul odors that accompany his labor. But there comes a day when Grenouille does an errand in town and discovers the object that will transform his life: perfume. Eager to learn the art of creating sophisticated fragrance, he apprentices himself to a once-renowned perfumer, and proves to be a savant whose almost mystical knowledge of scent surpasses anything that can be taught to him by masters of the craft. Ironically, he was born with no scent of his own, a distinction which colors his undistinguished life. But Grenouille is fearless when it comes to the pursuit of a perfect perfume. When he discovers the most intoxicating scent he has ever experienced--the natural fragrance of a beautiful young girl--he learns that the only method to preserve her innocence and fresh beauty will require murder. Plaguing the countryside with a series of gruesome killings, Grenouille must stay one step ahead of the authorities until he captures the final ingredient for his greatest perfume--the essence of a beautiful redheaded girl whose wealthy father earnestly protects her. Only then, he believes, will he earn the attention and adulation that his extraordinary talent deserves.

I just can't resist saying it, but did they cast this film based on the size of the actors' noses? Because it would seem appropiate.

But seriously, I did want to see this film when it came out but unfortunately I couldn't find it playing anywhere (technically, I couldn't even find when it was playing). I had heard that Kubrick himself wanted to do a film based on this novel but gave up and called it unfilmable. So yeah, I definitely wanted to see how Tykwer and company pulled it off. Guess I'll hafta wait for dvd.

• 1 year later...

Listening to the Score for this film (which is brilliant, btw) has me itching to watch this again. I swear I must've seen it eight or ten times by now, but it's such a lovely film! I read most of the way through the book (haven't finished yet. argh!) and so far I'm pleased with the film adaptation (normally I get annoyed by certain changes or differences). Nick, DJ, Cindy, and anyone else ever get around to seeing this? It's been out on DVD for quite a while now (eight or nine months) now you guys have no excuse! lolz.

<3

• 2 weeks later...
I loved the movie.

My only setback for ir was the massive orgy scene where all the chicks get it on with other chicks and none of the guys get it on with eachother.

typical hollywood.

I'm looking for the novel, becuase the books are almost always even better.

PM me your address. I get it for you!

Archived