Hondo's Bar

The offspring

Wow, must be some sort of something going on, because I spent yesterday listening to all the good offspring from back in the day, on youtube. I had got Bad Habit stuck in my head somehow and decided to listen to them again for the first time in almost a decade (aside from the occasional radio play). Didn't even know they were still around, but it sounds like it is best to just remember the older stuff and not listen to the new stuff, just like just about every other band I liked back in the 90's.

Bad Habit is one of my favorites.

And how the fuck do they crowbar this song into a live show w/out it sounding like someone switched the PA system over to a bad pop radio station?

Come Out and Play

Can't Repeat

Self Esteem

Gotta Get Away

All I Want

Gone Away

Bad Habit

She' Got Issues

Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)

Cruising California (Bumpin' in My Trunk)

Why Don't You Get A Job?

The Kids Aren't Alright

one+of+these+things.jpg

Haku listed most of my favorites, here's a few i never posted here that i'd add:

^possibly my favorite of theirs, depending on the time of day. not featured: Want you bad, Original Prankster, Hit that.

and to answer Jax's prior inquiry: i don't dislike Green Day like say 2T does, but i do put this catalog above theirs, personally.

and to answer Jax's prior inquiry: i don't dislike Green Day like say 2T does, but i do put this catalog above theirs, personally.

Yeah, but I was talking about this terrible new song. Heh, I was about to post What Happened to You? as a question posed directly to Offspring.

I love Staring at the Sun.

So this was one of my favorite Offspring song back in the day. Most of you probably haven't heard it. It's off their 1989 self-titled indie debut. Back in 1997, my friends and I used to play this song over and over again and sing along the way obnoxious 14-year old white kids do.

i don't dislike Green Day like say 2T does

Hey, I was only listening to Kerplunk this morning. Fuck, I even took the pilgrimage to Gilman Street. Lookout! Records Green Day were solid gold. I never liked The Offspring, though will admit "Come Out and Play" is a top tune. I actually tagged along with a buddy to an Offspring show many years ago but I spent the time at the bar and chatting to the laydeez. So far as I remember The Vandals supported.

Fresh faced young Offspring sure was trying hard to be Dead Kennedys/Suicidal Tendencies.

Yeah, you can hear in that first record (and their second record, before Smash) the kernel of what is the unique Offspring sound, but there's still a lot of biting off their punk idols.

• 6 months later...