Hondo's Bar

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

It's certainly better than The Matrix Reloaded.

Dead Man's Chest is good. It's got more plots and twists than it needs and it suffers from being the middle film of the trilogy (it doesn't resolve anything) but it's good. If anything, the cg work on Davy Jones is worth the price of admission.

• 4 weeks later...

I fucking hated dead man's chest. The first 20 minutes or so was promising and then it all fell apart into the most boring, bloated, convoluted shit in the world. Who the fuck thinks that that random british dude is a satisfying villain?

Most of the time people were fighting I had no idea why or who I should be rooting for... gave me a fucking headache. THe Kraken scene was pretty fun also tho. I'm gonna watch part 3 for chow yun fat, and because I know somebody's gonna drag me to it, btu I think it's gonna blow.

if Hondos had one of those options "Rate (1-5) how usefull you find this comment about the movie" I would rate "4". You said "good", to me it was okay. I too think that it had more plots and twists than it needed... at one point i got lost. But yeah.

It's certainly better than The Matrix Reloaded.

Dead Man's Chest is good. It's got more plots and twists than it needs and it suffers from being the middle film of the trilogy (it doesn't resolve anything) but it's good. If anything, the cg work on Davy Jones is worth the price of admission.

I give this a 3. I didn't think it was that bad, certainly not watchable again.

The first 20 minutes or so was promising and then it all fell apart into the most boring, bloated, convoluted shit in the world. Who the fuck thinks that that random british dude is a satisfying villain?

Most of the time people were fighting I had no idea why or who I should be rooting for... gave me a fucking headache. THe Kraken scene was pretty fun also tho. I'm gonna watch part 3 for chow yun fat, and because I know somebody's gonna drag me to it, btu I think it's gonna blow.

Saw tis one last night. It was absurd, bloated, convoluted, confusing, overblown, over-the-top, excessive, rediculous nonsense. In other words, it was just what I was hoping for. The last hour of the movie has raised the bar for oh-my-fucking-god crazy action like no movie since The Matrix Reloaded.

If you're of these people that ned to follow the plot(s) at all time, and feel that if a Pirates movie doesn't make sense it can't be fun, this movie like like Dead Man's Chest on PCP. More double-crosses, mixed alliances, plot lines and plot twists. If not being able to follow it all stops you form enjoying it, you just don't get it.

Much fun and many laughs. I very much enjoyed the movie.

Saw tis one last night. It was absurd, bloated, convoluted, confusing, overblown, over-the-top, excessive, rediculous nonsense. In other words, it was just what I was hoping for. The last hour of the movie has raised the bar for oh-my-fucking-god crazy action like no movie since The Matrix Reloaded.

Well said.

I guess I'm still the hater. I thought there were two good scenes in the movie,

when they rocked the boat. and the whirlpool fight thing

. Other than that, yes, I had a problem that I had no clue what was going on for 90% of the movie. Fights can still be fun when you don't know what's going on (though not nearly as fun as they could be), but double-crosses, mixed alliances, plot lines and plot twists, are absolutely no fun at all when you don't know nor care what's going on.

And holy shit, every time they cut to british people on a fucking tea boat like 25 members of the audience at a time would go for a bathroom break. That was kind of interesting to watch.

I didn't even feel like there were enough legitimate action scenes in this. It was mostly boats getting taken over by other boats with little resistance. See, if this movie were dumb wall to wall action with a thin plot, I could get behind that, no probleml The problem is that the vast majority of the movie acts like its making sense while it gets bogged down in clumsily handled relationships, indecipherable geography, and random pirate lore; and on top of that, expects me to remember details from one of the most confusing movies of all time (Dead man's chest).

I tried to enjoy this, as I had bottom fo the barrel expectations, but I simply can't enjoy a three hour movie where I'm not even sure who is where half the time, much less why their there.

Well I'm not gonna hold a little confusion against it when I see it tonight. Dead Man's Chest made perfect sense by the second viewing, I've seen plenty of movies that don't make sense no matter how many times you watch them. In fact, you know, it's almost nice to have a summer movie that doesn't feel the need to explain everything to me.

My understanding, and this is purely speculative until proven otherwise:

First, the lyrics::

Yo, ho, haul together,

hoist the Colors high.

Heave ho, thieves and beggars,

never shall we die.

The king and his men

stole the queen from her bed

and bound her in her Bones.

The seas be ours

and by the powers

where we will well roam.

Some men have died

and some are alive

and others sail on the sea

– with the keys to the cage…

and the Devil to pay

we lay to Fiddler’s Green!

The bell has been raised

from it’s watery grave…

Do you hear it’s sepulchral tone?

We are a call to all,

pay head the squall

and turn your sail toward home!

This dirge, sung at the beginning of the movie, is begun if you remember, by the little boy clutching the piece of eight. While we discover later on that the "nine pieces of eight" is a figurative description for the trinkets that the pirate lords carry, this bit of foreshadowing is very important. Later on in the scene, Elizabeth Swann-Turner-Norrington-Turner-Sparrow-Turner quietly sings the same song to herself as she rows through the canals of Singapore. The guards at Sao Feng's bath house threaten that such a song should not be sung carelessly, especially by one unknowing of its true meaning. Later in the movie a few small mentions are made of a summoning call, which is why the nine pirate lords have come to meet at Shipwreck Cove. Also, Sao Feng is told in a feisty exchange by Elizabeth that he can't ignore the "call" by staying hidden with his steam. By my powers of deduction, the undeniable, unavoidable call to action is the sound of the people singing "Hoist the Colours" as they're being executed by the command of Lord Cutler Beckett and the EITC.

The lyrics themselves have a bit of foreshadowing in them. For example, "The king and his men took the queen from her bed and bound her to her bones" tells of what Davy Jones ('king' of the original bretheren) and his first crew of pirate lords did to Calypso. "with the keys to the cage and the devil to pay" could be the key to Davy Jones' chest, and the debt owed him by signing your soul to the Flying Dutchman, etc.

If I'm wrong, I'd like to know. But it makes sense to me.

Sounds right to me. The issue here is that it's convoluted and difficult to follow, but everything does make sense and things happen for a reason, it's hard to follow. The point is, it really shouldn't stop you from having fun.

Yeah. The problem I had with that scene was

how that song being sung in Port Royal was supposed to call for the meeting, and how the East India Trading Co. guy knew that.

But yes, still had a good time.

Well, my fun was stopped dead in its tracks. Although my confusion was more like I'm watching someone talk, and I can't even remember who's ship they're on. I can't remember why character a is mad at character b, and have no clue why they stopped being mad at each other, etc etc. Much more basic "I don't even understand why these two characters are having this conversation or where they are" kind of stuff.

The overly complicated pirate lore stuff I would never really expect to understand, it just added to the confusion. I just think the very basic building blocks of storytelling were clumsily handled, and they movie didn't have nearly enough legitimate action sequences to get me through it when I didn't know or care what was happening.

Also, as hard as it would have been for me to believe, Keira Knightly comes off as genuinely badass. The cliche in movies ever since Princess Leia is that helpless damsel in distress is not cool, so a chick has to be able to have a badass "I am woman hear me roar" moment or two in the movie. Elizabeth Swann was now different in Pirates 1, and even in Pirates 2, despite being rougher around the edges, she was still not a badass. In this one, she comes into her own.

Archived