Hondo's Bar

Final Fantasy XIII

The NZA

I'm at the comic book store when we started talking about RPGs. When someone asked me which ones I liked. Threw out some names and one of them said what about FFVII. Told them that game won't even make it in the top ten RPGs when it came to real fans.

They started bitching about how it was the greatest game ever and so on. I then asked them a very simple question.

Have you ever played any other FF game before 7 or any of the RPGs that I named.

Answer: Nope

At that point I told them to fuck off.

I like FFVII but even I'm fed up with that game already.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was really just going for more of a "If it's still okay to like Thriller after Michael Jackson hangs a baby out a window I think it's okay for me to like Ctrl-Alt-Del despite the fact that Tim Buckley's an arrogant prick" Jax did a far better example of presenting the exact same point, read his post.

And I'm not trying to say there weren't important OR pivotal, what I mean is you get releatively little play-time with them kind of like Seymour in Final Fantasy, he was an important character but not one of the main protagonists and was playable for a brief portion of time, the series has always had characters like these (in the case of Final Fantasy 4 with the exception of Rosa, Cain, Cecil, Edge, and Rydia they were all like that) so I meant of the main protagonists (Squall, Zell, Selphie, Irvine, Quistis, and Rinoa) Quistis and Irvine were probably the two most intersting of the bunch while secondary playable characters like Edea, Seifer, Laguna, and well pretty much everybody except the guy with the anchor were more interesting. The characters they wanted us to pay the most attention to were the weakest character-wise.

And trust me, you're not the only one, I keep trying to point out to them that their ultra badass Sephiroth was an ultra pansy and reminding them that at least 3 villains with an affinity for make-up and womens' clothing (That's Kefka, Seymour, and Kuja for those keeping score) have out-eviled him at every corner. I wouldn't have used it as an insult (fake or otherwise) if I actually thought you were one.

That point I can respect. Apologies for misunderstanding your meaning in that case.

Seymour definitely had incredibly low play time ((though I appreciate the fact they gave me the next level of heal for that fight. I needed that. I needed that something FIERCE)) but I'd say he counts. He's still a playable character. Only in the case of Laguna, Kiros and Ward, though, do I feel that I don't get enough time with them - they were really fantastic characters, and remain to be some of my favorites. Kiros helped me fall in love with the katar as a weapon, and Man with the Machine Gun is one of my favorite battle tracks, as well. Being told they didn't count, hurt.

Chicken wuss and Boo-yaka chick were somewhat annoying, but their boisterousness belied the fact that they were incredibly damaged. Squall was irritatingly one-dimensional, Rinoa often seemed more concerned about seducing gunblade masters than overthrowing the galbadian government. Quists and Irvine were both good characters, and as such they were in my main party with squall at almost all times that I could choose it. Still, I love VIII a lot, largely because of the well-written backstory that Laguna, Kiros, and Ward were a part of. Then time travel made it weird, but that's neither here nor there. I paid more attention to the story than the characters in it, and I think that worked in the game's favor.

Alls i can say is, i agree with the point that some people are happier that sony don't have this to themselves than they are about getting a game. Joel for example sums this up pretty well. I, like newt, will most likely get this on the ps3 because of my point that i made earlier in the thread which was skipped over in place of baytor and maldron cock fencing.

baytor and mal, you guys need to calm down man. This is getting a bit absurd.

honestly, I really didn't want to shell out the other 500 bucks to buy the damn PS3 and the games with it, so this makes Joel a happy Panda. I always felt the first incarnation of PS3 was shitty (slightly more shitty than the XBox), and so made that choice. The games were much better, and it sucked that I wouldn't be able to play one of my fav. franchises without going to a friend's house. Now, I don't have that problem.

Oh, and FFVIII was the weakest of the Franchises. The story was meh, the characters were meh, and there's really only one memorable character (and I use that word very liberally). It's all about FFVI.

baytor and mal, you guys need to calm down man. This is getting a bit absurd.

Please, Arch. You don't react any better when somebody dismisses your points out of hand. Plus, from where I'm standing, we already did calm down. Don't start a fire where one's been put out.

Please, Arch. You don't react any better when somebody dismisses your points out of hand. Plus, from where I'm standing, we already did calm down. Don't start a fire where one's been put out.

True. But you two are level headed. I'm an over-reacting schmuck. Don't be like me.

That...and I didn't notice there where two other pages before I responded, so my response was to your arguments two pages ago...so my bad.

haha, he must hail from the Skeeter school of economics. Kid did that with a wii like twice, no?

yea, and all of his rare Sega Games too

• 3 weeks later...

to answer newt's question about the US game delayed: looks like yes.

And this is why you should buy games on their original platform most times.

We're making the PS3 version first, and then porting to the 360 later.... I'm telling [the development team] to not think about the Xbox 360 right now. We can think about it after the development kits arrive... Right now, we're fully concentrating on the PS3 version.

anyway, here's to hoping we all get a great FF like 12 was buy, uh, 2010! oh, and just to tease DoJ:

boomybestbuyps3.jpg

It's a delay, but no more of one than we would have normally gotten, mainly because Square always takes at least a year to translate FFs over to the US anyway. I can't remember any of them that didn't have a LONG fucking localization. So in the year that they are adding a couple of new features and other miscellaneous shit, they will be porting the game from the PC (Crystal Tools) to the 360. God knows how the port will be, but that's how it goes. I'm kinda surprised that MS hasn't gotten them dev kits yet. Pretty crazy.

how do we know they havent, though? i sort've assumed that was a given by now. then again, maybe MS secretly knows how far along production is and know they dont need to send that shit express mail.

PS i see you're trying to hide your excitement about FF VII PS3 in like a week and a half! boy, you think square wouldve mentioned something like that at the pressers. this could be a new kind of a-publicity stunt we're witnessing.

Team ICO is owned by Sony, so I hope to GOD they haven't been lost. As for Vs, I'll believe that one is exclusive when the generation ends and it hasn't come out on 360. Again, not that I care all that much, if it reviews well, I may check it out.

Still Agito 13 and Parastie Eve 3 for the PSP is AWESOME!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Yup, details are trickling in: latest rumor is, if you dont want to buy the Advent Children blu-ray and get the pack-in FF XIII demo, you can buy the demo separate, no price info yet. the online community is busy both cursing sqaure's name and saving for said demo. that said, no idea how/if itll come to 360, but if it doesnt, you miss out on a 2-hour preview but still get the full game, so no huge loss i figure.

Especially if it turns out at all like VIII did. Fucking VIII.

15cj5te.jpg

• 2 months later...
Developers don't have any problem releasing multiplatform titles on the 360 before the PS3 version but when it's the other way around they act like the world is going to end if they release a multiplatform title on the PS3 before the 360 version.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Wrong thread :asshole:

Edited by newtype

Eh, theyre building the PS3 one first, still doing it around the system's strengths, then they go back to the 360 one. theyre technically not calling it a delay 'cause the japanese one goes on sale right out the gate, PS3 only, then we get both over here once they finish localizing it, which they swear nearly matches the 360 port timeframe. its square, so i dont doubt the port'll be solid, but i cant see not buying this for the system it was made for if youve got it.

i just want details on an LE already.