Hondo's Bar

Starcraft II

Stilly

thats cool.

I was just reading on wiki that pretty much every game id had in mind, save Fandango, was from the SCUMM engine, its cool that all of that came from the same team. What was different about Fandango, wasnt it Luasarts as well? Just played in 3rd person, or?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

What can I say? I absolutly love Blizzard. I'm a big fan of the warcraft, starcraft and Diablo. And I too was very dissapointed with all the stuff that happend with Starcrat Ghost, but I can't help to be very excited about this game...

• 6 months later...

They're doing pretty good thus far though it irks me that they haven't shown anything on the zerg race on their website and even in beta about all I've seen are zerglings and banaelings (zerglings that explode) as well as some kind of giant dune sandworm thing that spits them out.

And I still maintain, this one will happen. Yes Lord of the Clans and StarCraft Ghost got cancelled but they got cancelled for real reasons, Lord of the Clans was too dated by the time it came out it was to be released the same year as Monkey Island 3 and Grim Fandango was also announced that year it also needed drastic re-writes and new animations and all in all it just looked like something that would've done better three years prior so they scrapped it. The odyssey of Ghost is a bit more complicated, but they had to switch developing studios twice and after several years in development it was going nowhere and fans never were that gungho about the idea, they wanted StarCraft 2 so they scrapped it, simple as that.

The point is this is a game in their core series and one that has one of the highest fanbases in the world, they aren't going to flake on this they flaked on two games that would have done "okay" but they're not going to back out on a future bestselling title. Plus a lot of the original staff that left after WarCraft 3 are back including Chris Metzen who was pretty much the mind behind just about everything Blizzard has created.

No, Ghost had a demo at E3 after they switched studios to Swingin' Ape but it was only a demo of multiplayer and the only classes available were firebat and marine, no psychic powers, no zerg or protoss, no cloaking, no nuke/airstrikes, just a 3rd person action game. And lots of ultimately doomed games had demos at E3.

This is in beta production that means they have all the games mechanics put together they're just field testing units, looking for glitches, recording voice overs, and preparing campaigns.

• 6 months later...

I picked up the Starcraft battle chest the other day as I havent played it in about 6 or 7 years. I forgot just how awesome this game was back in the day and while the graphics have obviously dated its still a hell of a lot of fun to play and the storyline is the best ive seen in an RTS.

• 10 months later...

...what?

No LAN Play For Starcraft II

One of the reasons Starcraft is still such a big hit at LAN parties is that, like most "older" PC titles, it supports multiplayer over a local network. Starcraft II will do no such thing.

Blizzard's Rob Pardo has said "we don't have any plans to support LAN...we will not support it". Which for anyone that still lugs their PC around for LAN parties means no, Starcraft II won't be on your LAN party menu. If you want to play against other humans, it'll have to be done via Blizzard's online gaming portal Battle.net.

i totally dont get this decision. LAN parties still happen all the time, even outside of dorms, computer labs, and uh, korea. dont get me wrong, the beauty of the PC format is the day-1 workaround this'll have, but...why leave the feature off, knowing that its a huge part of why part 1 still gets played to this day? ive heard people talk about it being some form of anti-piracy measure, but how does that make any sense at all? I just...blizzard's usually better than this.

I think the explanation you're looking for resembles and s with two vertical lines down the middle. You forget that Blizzard just up and decided "Oh, by the way, you know that free online service we've provided for like a fucking decade? Well, fuck you loyal supporters, you have to pay now!

So I would assume, since there's no good way to charge for LAN, that they're doing this to make more money. (You know, cause the company is hurting so much since that one World of Wearcraft or whatever thing didn't work out and was such a flop)

You know I wonder how many people really lan at the moment as opposed to just playing online, it might be lan is more of a thing from our gen then the younger folk(or not I really don't know) no body really knows how battlenet will work atm but we should know more at blizzcon(sigh I'm gonna order the damn internet fed, too much I want to see for myself) since there's a decent chance starcraft will launch by the end of the year or early next year. If I had to guess I'd say you'd have some form of free battlenet and some form with 'premium features' and I'd guess you can play mulitplayer with the free version, or maybe it's all free keeping with the earlier version since they plan to release 1 game a year. They also said it's for piracy issues as well, and if it keeps their drm low(they've said they don't like heavy drm before) then I'm ok with it, and honestly this doesn't really effect any of us. we do diablo online!

I really dont think battlenet will be pay only, it's out of line with battlenet and I think they would have gone to that a while ago if they really wanted to go that route. but be on the lookout for some sort of premium service package though.

You know I wonder how many people really lan at the moment

folks, this is what a blizzard fanboy looks like rationalizing. When MGS5 comes out one day and you have to pay $5.99 per level, i hope i defend konami with such insanity. "who really plays the last few levels, anyway? i for one welcome the savings being had by our konami overlords!"

LAN is hard to call a niche. its colleges, its gatherings all over the place. this is a boneheaded move with no attempt at justifying it, coming from a company that's supposed to be keen on its fans. its a disappointment man, call it what it is - the house of WoW is fucking up here, and if i was one of this game's many fans, id at least be grateful for the inevitable workaround.

DIABLO 3 BABY!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!!!.. wait am I in the rite forum??? o_O... *ahem sry... can't wait to but a new computer just so I can play SC2 at full graphical blast and have an eye orgy of ridiculous gaming orgasmic pleasure at my mouse... tip... im cool i swear it! @_@

• 1 month later...

I'm at work so I'll link the video later but look up youtube, SC2 map editor!

fuck the game I just want that, not only will it work for rts style stuff( with the ablility to make your own units and control what ablitities they have by playing with data files(no programing required) but you can even make 3 person or first person fps/rpg/action games, redo the ui completely, add extra npcs to talk and script them and even do overhead shooters(there are examples of all this in the video) it's fucking crazy and if it's as easy as the sc1 and wc3 editiors it's awesome. They also talk about how blizzard has hired several people who came up with really popular maps (such as tower defense and the monolith that is defense of the ancients) god I can't wait for that game!

Archived