Hondo's Bar

World War Hulk

The NZA

Im enjoying the event, but im kinda with arch, its why my favorite stories are street-level vigilantes. This one's like a fun story idve kinda had when playing with my action figures the other d...years, years ago. ^_^

completely disagree with Jumbie; the Frontline stuff feels oddly out of place, plus i really hate that reporter bitch after how she was in the civil war arc, meanwhile, the x-book is all about the mindless fighting i expect from this event.

though i do agree, im wary of that "let's all unite against an even bigger evil!" 90s answer too.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i dont see how, the books are selling well and no one (that im seeing online, anyway) is feeling alienated by the big-guys-are-hitting-each-other-again comic storyline here tho.

Also, im not sure what DC's got going for them right now. Personally, the only DC book im reaidng, outside of Batman (and mebbe the Superman All-Stars stuff) is Green Lantern, cause i love the character and his universe is getting its ass beat right now in an interesting way.

they have to be! no way you could pull off this "Hulk vs Marvel Universe" thing if they werent! I mean, if this event's kinda bothering you, imagine if it was just Hulk alone against all the Avengers, how silly you think that'd look?

You guys are such winey, spoiled bastards! We FINALLY have stories that have balls and don't cop out and do what needs to be done... ENTERTAIN... and you guys want it to go back to the 90's! The comic industry as at an all time high in sales because the stories are actually GOOD and you guys give these guys shit! I wanna see you write something better than what's going on right now in the Marvel Universe! Shut the fuck up and let the story fuckin finish before you start to bash it!

P.S. FUCK DC!!!

The comic industry as at an all time high in sales

...since 1992 anyway....

that said, i agree with Panch here; this is clearly nu-marvel cause shit happense and it wasnt a dream, about clones. I wish people stayed dead, but otherwise, yeah, its a whole new game and i loves it.

I'm just saying! In the 90's people complained that comics had no substance! People said that if they saw another clone or big titted Cap again they were gonna kill themselves! Now people complain that comics have TOO MUCH substance and thier little minds can't process the "farfeched" consepts of God-like characters! It's fuckin' comic books for crying out loud! Just sit back and enjoy the progress that they've made in thier existance cause you may not know how they are gonna be 10 years from now! Shit, you'll probably complain then too!

I'm just saying! In the 90's people complained that comics had no substance! People said that if they saw another clone or big titted Cap again they were gonna kill themselves! Now people complain that comics have TOO MUCH substance and thier little minds can't process the "farfeched" consepts of God-like characters! It's fuckin' comic books for crying out loud! Just sit back and enjoy the progress that they've made in thier existance cause you may not know how they are gonna be 10 years from now! Shit, you'll probably complain then too!

Well we don't want extremes we don't want stupid ass overdone stories but we also don't want James Paterson's X-Men. Ultimately people are tired of giant crossover events. We want individual stories.

you're not understanding me, Panch.

I want a series with substance...but that's just what WWH is lacking. Planet Hulk had substance. WWH is just a pissy Hulk killing an ENTIRE PLANET FULL OF SUPER HEROES after traveling God know's how many millions of miles just to fight. It was a good idea but it's execution has been :love:.

When you have a situation where a team of moderately powerful heroes, the Planet's finest, cannot take down an antagonist there's a problem. When the only solution is a Deus Ex Machina or a battle of Gods...that's boring.

If they were to bring in Galactus and Silver Surfer, or a combination of Sentry and Thor....it would get stupid. If there are heroes that have the capability of destroying the planet by boring a hole through it's core yet they can't kill the Hulk...it gets stupid, both that they can bore a hole through the planet and, having that potential, they still can't kill the Hulk.

It's DUMB. It's overpowered. it's flavorless. i prefer a good fight between Spidey and the Kingpin than this BS in WWH.

You want flavor? Read Back in Black.

Ultimately people are tired of giant crossover events. We want individual stories.

I don't mind giant crossover events: i tend to prefer them, actually.

what bothers me is Marvel's singular inability to make the crossovers have any real timeline and continuity among the other titles. How is it that Hulk was fighting Iron Man, Ghost Rider, and the X-Men all at the same time at different places? How is it that Spider Man is hunting down the Kingpin and fucking him up while simultaneously being in Japan to deal with Ronin and Elektra AND evacuating Manhattan/fighting the Hulk?

Continuity people, for the love of Stan!

you just cant manage a huge crossover (and im not with 'tor here: i dont want them every season or so, but a big annual thing is good...i admit, some marvel readers gotta feel exhausted at this point) and completely respect continuity. it just wont happen, unless editors force each writer's hand more than id want to see.

so, when :welcome: is in space, underwater, russia and like 5 other places in one month's worth of books, i assume its not going on simultaneously, or you know, uh, clones.

i admit, its hard on the feel of a book if some big shit's going down and its being ignored elsewhere; i.e., i didnt want civil war getting in the way of Daredevil's lockup time, and im glad it (largely) didnt, its awkward seeing characters act like everything's cool cameoing elsewhere.

for others, its not even contunity for me, its the problem of not having a character nailed down just yet so different wrtiers give me the feel of very different characters: sentry kinda comes to mind, ares definitely does.

Eh I don't mean stop completely lets just let some stories develop a little bit here. I mean shit, Marvel Zombies has evolved more than most other series'

By the way, does anyone know if they actually made a trade of the 7 core Civil War issues? I can find everything but.

you just cant manage a huge crossover (and im not with 'tor here: i dont want them every season or so, but a big annual thing is good...i admit, some marvel readers gotta feel exhausted at this point) and completely respect continuity. it just wont happen, unless editors force each writer's hand more than id want to see.

yes you can. Check out DC.

Don't even get me started on DC. First of all they did the retcon in history and changed their entire universe so we have pre and post crisis DC. They're the kings of retconning, more of a mess than Marvel has ever been even in the 90s and they just happened to have gotten their shit together in the last few years.

well, i see what joel's saying to an extent: Infinite Crisis was heralded as their big event and everything sorta served it. Id argue that if you followed up with the "1 year later" stuff, it was a huge mess for me; for isntance, the 1 year later books started before the event ended! meaning, i knew who lived and who died from the fucking aftermath of some stories a week or more before they died. :no:

the reason i think marvel cant manage that streamlining these days is the fact that with the regular/616 universe, ultimate, side-projects that kinda fall between where youve got TV/movie/freakin stephen king/etc writers on limited projects going simultaneously, or writers like Bendis/Brubaker on Daredevil, again, in the middle of up to 5-year continuous runs that theyve planend out, and frankly, im greatful their book gets to go on its own and not have a forced, awful crossover non-issue or two thrust into its timleine to make shit really come off awkward, personally. Erik Larsen once had a run on :FHD: that was fucked by such side-events; if Ennis' MAX Punisher had to even mention civil war, idve been pissed.

anyway, i see your point, i just prefer it this way: its all over, yeah, but the good writers are getting pissed and leaving like they did in the past.

you misunderstand: Joe Q spent years trying to get some of those writers/artists to return to marvel, some that'd never worked comics as well. you cant just tell everyone to put their projects on hold, or else you get pissed writers and forced, shit stories. Again, same examples: if DD or Punisher were forced into the event with their main books, id drop both titles.

Editors coming down heavy on writers to force an event/sales is why we lost a lotta people in the past. And stan lee should keep it in his pants and stay out of comics, or else we'll end up with this.. again.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, so issue 5 of WWH made the series for me! Planet Hulk, of course is an instant classic, but WWH wasn't living up to the hype, for me at least. I mean, it had cool moments, but the first 4 issues weren't awesome, awesome. Issue 5? Great issue! Just loved every minute! Can wait for the next chapter of what I think is some of the best Hulk stories to date!

Archived