Hondo's Bar

World War Hulk

The NZA

:jedi: planet hulk was indeed a classic. in the last five years marvel has matured in story and art. i have to admit that Marvel has succeded in what DC has been trying to do, and continues to thrive. although, its becoming a little annoying lately to see certain heroes you grew up with, die. i kinda miss the innocence of the 80's and 90's, where the good guy always wins.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Naaaah. In retrospect it'd be great to have more mainstream titles that were less theme/mood-heavy, but good always outing evil just really limits options. As it is to this day there's bugger-all stories that involve villians truly coming out on top without some kinda epiphany or moral breakthrough(and therefore ceasing to be villians).

although, its becoming a little annoying lately to see certain heroes you grew up with, die. i kinda miss the innocence of the 80's and 90's, where the good guy always wins.

true, but vertigo & indie books showed me how awesome non-franchise characters can be, cause the fear of them actually dying makes encounters way more intense. Hell, you reading Walking Dead? there's no one, no matter how cool, in that cast that cant be bumped off at any moment...same feeling from 100 Bullets sometimes.

Hey, im just as down about Cap still, but a) their mortality adds a lot to the stories for me, and b) it aint like we dont all know he's back before the movie in '09. I mean, shit, they managed to keep :kotter: dead for 1 freakin' issue in his own book a while back, and it sucked.

there many things that have happened to wolvie over the years that make you wanna wince. i do love the way current issues are being written though. avengers, spider-man, DD, hulk, all these are just examples, but less with the death thing would be nice. and of all the characters i am inetersted seeing what happens, is iron man. tony has been a major prick and asshole combined. will he eventually die and the iron man suit will be donned by someone else, or could it be that he is a skrull.... who knows.

there many things that have happened to wolvie over the years that make you wanna wince.

amen to that. i once had the entire volume 1, all 180+ issues i wanna say, and there was like a solid dozen really worth keeping, when i looked beyond my love for Adam Kubert's art in the 90's.

gotta disagree on Stark, though: i like that he think's he's doing the right thing all along, he's got way more character than he's had (for me) in years, and i typically find the villain who doesnt think theyre one - Magneto, early days of Herr Starr - the most interesting, myself.

I can see your point, lotta folks rightfully hate him, but either way, if he's called out as a Skrull? huge cop-out, and one id not soon forget.

Don't gotta sell me on the questionable motives he may've had for his less than loyal actions. You are right about the Skrull thing bein' more than a little bit of a cop out. What would make things interesting is if they had him become more villainish (without the later outside influence/temporary insanity excuse). They don't have long time heroes become Villains too often in Marvel, do they?

No; sadly, the reverse is way more common (Sabretooth, :kotter: , Magneto and the like) but seeing that happen sounds infinitely more interesting.

That said, as Chief can attest, Iron Man did become a villian once, even killed some fellow Avengers! its not as cool as it sounds; they ended up getting a younger Tony from the past to take him down & take his place, and...look, this is the kind of 90's storytelling that kinda makes me cringe, my hopes right now are that they dont bring back Cap like this or some shit.

not the aspect they're going with.

As much as you guys might think otherwise, the fact is Tony is (along with the other 50% of the Marvel Heroes) still a HERO.

My only problem here is that they made him cross the line more than once in Civil War, and that kinda thing has a habit of bitting you in the ass (as we all saw).

But to say they're going to turn Pym and Richards and Stark in villains? I'd say that's a bit far fetched.

Did either of us say that was the way they were going with this? We stated that the situation was more than a little morally ambiguous, but we didn't say we thought they were making him into a villain (just that it would be new and interesting if they did). He's flawed (is he ever) but they're very unlikely to go that way.

Edit: By the way, a person's status as a hero is very open to interpretation (esp. Tony Stark's).

Archived