Hondo's Bar

Hondo's @ World of Warcraft

The NZA

• 4 weeks later...

That comic strip was awesome, tho I will never understand why WoW is the target of so much hatred, even from those that are avid videogame players.

I don't see the difference (and I don't really want them explained to me, it would change nothing). I suspect some people just resent the time their friends spend on it, it's like hating the dude your girlfriend is hanging out with and fucking all the time instead of hanging out with you. Perfectly understandable reaction, I suppose.

Personally, I've found myself bored to death of WoW at the moment. I hop on and fly around with my kid, but I've ceased to do anything productive on the increasingly rare occasion that I'm on.

I just can't find the motivation right now. I find myself sitting around in Dal or Org, watching /lfg and running the occasional Heroic. None of my friends are ever on anymore when I login. I've got about 680 hours on my main and a couple hundred scattered across a dozen alts, I have my pimp ass Mechano-hog motorcycle and I've pretty much done all the game has to offer me at this point.

I'll prob'ly play for a bit when the next big patch comes out and I'll definitely be playing Cataclysym, but I'm pretty much "done" with it right now.

/e cracks his knuckles and scowls at his gamerscore

I don't see the difference (and I don't really want them explained to me, it would change nothing). I suspect some people just resent the time their friends spend on it, it's like hating the dude your girlfriend is hanging out with and fucking all the time instead of hanging out with you. Perfectly understandable reaction, I suppose.

for me, its pretty much this.

i know, like anything, it can be enjoyed in moderation. however, by many, many accounts that's not how the game plays/lends itself to, and i dont jump on the "evil blizzard" bandwagon, but frankly i do think those that bury their social life in it - or any other game - are weak-willed and there's no exploitation nor sympathy here, but you gotta understand, to a lot of us who've had/seen others come off it like junkies in withdrawl, its hard to have a favorable opinion of it.

i dont outright hate it, there's more than enough room on the market for things not catering to mys specific gaming tastes. but im wary of it and quietly resentful when it siphons off hondonians or offline friends for a while. im not gonna indulge the point of "the difference" much here - you already said why, plus its laughably bad hearing guys like gunsmithx rationalizing here - suffice to say if you played the game fulltime like some and dont see it...i dont know what to say, check back a few months after quitting and tell me if you still don't. my games arent commitments.

but yeah, i take the piss in this thread (Ly and i do this to each other back & forth plenty), there's my thoughts but im not really hateful of the product or the players one bit.

i know, like anything, it can be enjoyed in moderation. however, by many, many accounts that's not how the game plays/lends itself to, and i dont jump on the "evil blizzard" bandwagon, but frankly i do think those that bury their social life in it - or any other game - are weak-willed and there's no exploitation nor sympathy here, but you gotta understand, to a lot of us who've had/seen others come off it like junkies in withdrawl, its hard to have a favorable opinion of it.

i dont outright hate it, there's more than enough room on the market for things not catering to mys specific gaming tastes. but im wary of it and quietly resentful when it siphons off hondonians or offline friends for a while. im not gonna indulge the point of "the difference" much here - you already said why, plus its laughably bad hearing guys like gunsmithx rationalizing here - suffice to say if you played the game fulltime like some and dont see it...i dont know what to say, check back a few months after quitting and tell me if you still don't. my games arent commitments.

but yeah, i take the piss in this thread (Ly and i do this to each other back & forth plenty), there's my thoughts but im not really hateful of the product or the players one bit.

wow is a game, a social network of friends and a hobby all rolled into one, in many ways it's a club, if you removed any of those ascpets people don't spend the time in there. Everyone who has a really strong hobby puts hours and hours into, and you put tons of hours into games(and you get to play at work for instance, I don't) what I don't get is how you bust my chops for the hours I put in(btw when was the last time I missed a party?) but not once have I seen you give george shit for the hours he puts in(and he puts more hours in games then I do) you say I'm buriing my social life, but I'll tell you I'm spending time with my friends(some of whom I've know for 5 years now, and I've visited and hung out with).

Personally I also have less of a need to go out, I did that all in my early 20's(and I went out alot) and I'm getting married next year so hittting the town is much less important to me then it used to be and I enjoy staying at home. can wow be additicve? of course, but clubs, social groups, games and shit always are, wow seems bad sometimes because it combines them(and most people in my guild for instance, are married, have kids, hold down full time jobs or are in school doing well) I would give a fuck you got on people who spend a ton of time on their hobbies, or in a club or say an online social club(hi hondos!) but you seem to harp on wow more then any of those by far. Do you really feel that those of us who play wow would see you more if we didn't? Like I honestly don't get where you come from. This maybe be bullshit rationliaztion to you and I may be weak willed(hi lets be more insulting btw) but I have a good time with my friends, I party decently at this point, I hold down a full time job, take some classes on the side and I'm getting married next year to a wonderfull women... man maybe more people should be addicted to shit.

im not gonna indulge the point of "the difference" much here - you already said why, plus its laughably bad hearing guys like gunsmithx rationalizing here

(insert weak-willed rationalization nonsense/junkie logic)

14l6nib.jpg

see you again when the server's down, pal!

...- suffice to say if you played the game fulltime like some and dont see it...i dont know what to say, check back a few months after quitting and tell me if you still don't. my games arent commitments.

I won't see it. I'm committed to anything I do, that's just the kind of person I am. My head is...strange. I spent no more time per week playing WoW than I did a shit-ton of other games before I started. Or any of my other myriad obsessions throughout the years. Nothing suffered for it, I didn't call-in to my 50 hour a week job, my lady-friend was still carnally satisfied (well...as much as I can take credit for anyway. And even if she wasn't, it wasn't WoW's fault. We can blame that on my comically small penis and nervous sweating), my kid wasn't being neglected, I still saw my friends and made a few more in the process. I wasn't spending time here for a while, so I picked up WoW to fill that gap. Not the other way around.

I don't spend my time off sitting and staring at a TV or whatever the fuck everyone else does with the half of their day they aren't working. I play games/music/read/draw or write. I usually choose one. Almost every day. I wouldn't call it "burying my social life".

I say that you just say "I don't like that game" and make no attempt to explain your reasoning. You don't have to have a reason, and none of them are going to be valid to people who dig it. It's too personal.

And it's a really solid, polished game. :excellent:

Reason for edit: Beer = Overshare...sorry 'bout that...

Edited by Thrizzle

See, this is why i didnt want to really get into gun's particular situation (its not the same as most of what i was talking about in my prior post, even the bits on personal resentment from losing hondonians/etc which is anecdotal at best and nothing to do with his case). his rationalization goes down this road, and im not trying to have people over-analyze where they decide to spend their time, its your life to use however, i try not to judge there most times.

while were on the personal note, though: what you're saying is kinda obvious. no one with a gamerscore over 100,000 is gonna sit there and tell me they're not committed. :excellent: seriously, you and mal (and space cowboy, to an extent) strike me as (i think the term is?) meta-gamers, playing the fuck out of your titles. its a different extent than i game, but i cant say one's better than the other...but yeah dude, you obviously dont half-ass your hobbies, ill give you that, heh.

but yeah, without getting into gun's personal business (moreso) online, i again say i dont hate shit, and certainly have nothing to say with those that casually enjoy whatever. But opinions aside: an MMO with clans, planned raids etc is not the same beast as finite console/PC games. its not. i dont go to forums with threads trying to help "recovering addicts" of Arkham Asylum or Mario Galaxy. you're just as free to ignore these differences, but they're still there. MMO's (when played hardcore) are simply different beasts - good or bad, depending on what you do with them.

I killed that monster a while ago and I'm mostly glad I did. It was fun to play but it became too immature for my tastes. Too many instances came up where I would find myself saying, "hey, it's just a game."

Stuff like, my guild wouldn't consider me (or any other member) unless we had our Hodir rep up. I was doing like 20 rep quests a day just cause I wanted to stay in a guild with my real life friends. I wasn't considered for gear because I didn't have any enchantments on my gear, or I wasn't applying the proper poisons (yes, I was a rogue).

Heh, I got yelled at for dying in a void zone in Sarth during my first run of it and for not standing in the correct place when we fought, oh what's his name...last guy in Naxx...anyways. True I would "tch" a warrior who couldn't hold aggro or a healer who forgot to stay under threat, but those are basics and in the 70s and 80s you would think a class knows their role. But for positioning and tactics?

Anyway, I think I strayed from the topic. WoW was fun when it was fun, but the group dynamic can get bitchy and it's hard to find a mature level of player on there.

I still have my 80 rogue with no tier gear, but a canceled account. I doubt I will get back into it with all the ridiculous drama that goes on (check out the photos a few pages back of the Lobo pet thing, I was reading the chat and it looked like usual guild drama). If I ever do get into it when cataclysm comes out, you can be sure that I'm going to be a free agent.

moving on from nick(thats right nick I have moved on!)

I have to say dante that while I think some of that is shit and I understand some of it(except yelling, I personally never stand for that shit) it isn't much different then what people say on xbox live and other shit, that amount of shit talking that goes on or yelling at someone you think is the problem never seems to change, except it proabbly feels more personal when it's your guild yelling at you since your more likely to consider them friends then XXcumeaterkillerXX on xbox live.

Also you said that you would 'tch' a warrior if he could hold agro or a healer who couldn't watch their threat(btw something is very very very wrong with the tank if heals are pulling.) since those are the basics, I'd guess that having rep(thats just for the shoulder enchant though) and enchants are looked at the same way, I know I do that but I play at a very high level where I try to squeeze out each last dps and I expect those around to do the same. but I think you let someone know upfront about shit like that not take them along and then yell at them or not give them gear because of it.

...(check out the photos a few pages back of the Lobo pet thing, I was reading the chat and it looked like usual guild drama).

You have no fucking idea, or I guess you do. That guild wasn't hardcore at all, it was the exact opposite: super-casual. It was awful. A bunch of moms and chicks with annoying auto-greets that used the term "huggles" too often (that is to say, at all). There was always someone who was pissed at someone else. I completely ignored it for the most part. I said something once and someone replied "Language Clobber, please!", so I said "Go to hell cunt" and /gquit. That's the story of that guild...

It's really a damned if you do/ damned if you don't scenario. I can't deal with the elitist hardcore guys, with no offense at all to gunsmith, I just can't have fun running with the big boys most of the time. I never wanted it to be like a job. I might be on when ya'll are doing that 25 man, but don't fucking require me to be on at 7 server time or some shit. Don't bitch that I'm Survival spec'd instead of Marksman just because it's the fotm. While we're at it, don't bitch that I'm a Hunter. Don't accuse me of buying my account because I'm "only" pulling 3.5K dps and I have a lot of expensive shit. I work the economy and farm ore & cloth. It adds up.

I finally found a guild of chill guys, all older dudes (like me). We would just casually joke around, occasionally someone would say "Hey, anyone wanna run H ToC?" or something. Then it dried up. Spent most of my time in my guild, which has all my alts, a handful of my IRL friends and my kid (The Brotherhood of Steel :2T: ).

I hear ya. I was actually on a West Coast server (bad idea). The raids were usually from 9 - 1 am my time, so I had to leave early most raids. A lot of things got rolled on, however, most of the high ticket items would be given to the person who met certain criteria. Sometimes I would luck out and they all already had good items, but sometimes it would be like, "well, so and so already has three pieces of tier gear, so this would be more suitable for him". There were too many "boys clubs".

Gah, talking about WoW again gets me itchy. Damn you. If I do get back into it I'll probably be very casual and start a new character. Cause there's no point in continuing with my 80 and not raid...

damn you. heh

Gah, talking about WoW again gets me itchy. Damn you. If I do get back into it I'll probably be very casual and start a new character. Cause there's no point in continuing with my 80 and not raid...

damn you. heh

Before I lost interest I was using my 80 as a sugar daddy. Play for a few hours, make some cash and send it to an alt that I actually enjoyed playing to make my life easier. It's amazing how helpful a few hundred gold is @ 30 and how borderline useless it is @ 80.

I really wanna play a Goblin, godammit, so I'm pretty sure I'll be playing again at some point. All goblin guild FTW, lets get this shit goin' early guys. It's a viable lineup, no Pallys or Druids...but we can do without them, really. Just a couple less tank options and none of those badass tree HOT's, but our For The Horde raids will look epic.

Name should have "Cartel" in it somewhere.

• 1 month later...

Rumor: WoW to require mandatory authenticators?

WoW.com has learned through trusted sources close to the situation that Blizzard is giving serious consideration to making authenticators mandatory on all accounts. According to our sources, while this policy has not been implemented yet and the details are not finalized, it is a virtually forgone conclusion that it will happen.

This response is a direct effort to stop the massive number of compromised accounts by gold sellers and keyloggers. The seriousness of the situation with compromised accounts has reached such a level that wait times for item and character restoration are entirely unacceptable, even to Blizzard executives. Blizzard has taken other internal measures to deal with long wait times of people in account restoration queues, and we'll be covering those measures tomorrow.

However, with the inclusion of mandatory authenticators, this should solve a major problem for Blizzard's support and account administration teams.

The number of compromised accounts under the mandatory authenticator plan should plummet, if not be virtually eliminated, and players should be able to enjoy a much more secure gaming experience. While some might have a hard time with the transition, Blizzard can provide excellent support in getting all of their 11.5 million players up to speed. Indeed, we have already seen some incentive programs appear; the price of authenticators has dropped recently thanks to free shipping, and we are now rewarded with an in-game pet for having an authenticator attached to our accounts.

A few months ago we postulated such an idea as one of our Breakfast Topics. In Why Blizzard should make authenticators mandatory, player reaction was mixed. Some saw it as a great opportunity to eliminate compromised accounts, others thought it would be an unnecessary money grabbing scheme by Blizzard.

Perhaps the best option put forth by commenters on WoW.com was to make the authenticators mandatory with Cataclysm. Many people agreed with this, and it will be interesting to see how Blizzard rolls out their mandatory authenticator system.

On the down side to this plan is a serious logistics problem, in that Blizzard can barely keep authenticators in stock now. They have yet to prove that they have the capacity to distribute them to millions of additional players. We are currently investigating this issue and will report back once we have more information to share.

We do not know if authenticators will be mandatory on just WoW accounts or on any Battle.net account.

...is hacking really that big a problem here? hope you guys have/can afford/debo some of these things if you needs em.

My account got hacked, and I've lost my characters. Permanently it seems. I'd want one of these if I was playing WoW. Requiring them just seems like a good idea to me. It will be a pain in the ass in the beginning, but worth it in the end. This is one of the biggest problems with WoW.

Every person I know who plays WoW in my inner circle got their account hacked, including myself. It's a pain in the ass and fucks up not only your shit but your Guild's shit. Guild's have communal banks in which they share rare materials and items, and when someone with tons of access to it (like, say, an officer to the guild) gets his account hacked that asshole also plunders the Guild Bank, fucking over the rest of the guild.

It's too common.

• 3 weeks later...

Question: I'm thinking of doing Engineering with my DK, but I've never really ever strayed from tailoring or leatherworking in all my years of WoW. (I started my alliance Dranai alt with Jewelcrafting, but I haven't really played her much AT ALL. I'm still around the starting area for the most part, and I doubt I'll be going back to it anytime soon).

I really wanna be an Engineer, but what compliments it? Mining? HALP PLZ.

NVM! Everyone says Mining, so that's what I'll do :wank:

Edited by MetalHeart

• 2 weeks later...