Hondo's Bar

Baytor's Horror Review Thread

i went in with my limited knowledge about the film, expecting to have felt like i just watched a snuff film but i ended up feeling like i was emotionally raped by a freight train. i felt dirty for weeks. surprisingly well-made though.

is their board comparable to the ridiculous mpaa though? i just want to get a sense of how fair-minded the bbfc is.

Edited by La Lindsay

Doesn't really matter here. It just means it gets an "Unrated" straight to DVD release and it won't be carried by Family Video.

All Unrated means is that it wasn't submitted to the MPAA, and most theaters will not run a movie that wasn't submitted (read: most) and I don't think they expected a theatrical run anyway.

In this country, if you want to release something on DVD, your only obstacle is whether the production company will finance it in it's current form.

so the bbfc doesn't have an equivalent to "unrated?" either they have to approve it on some level or it can't be released in any form there?

Yupyup. There's no legal requirement for the MPAA here, it's all voluntary and sustained by the film industry itself, distributors are not forced to comply with anything they say.

The BBFC, in contrast, is required to classify any movies, dvds and occasionally videogames and issue them a video certificate. you cannot SELL something without a permit, that includes over the internet if the store is based in the UK. Trading standards will give harsh penalties and fines to anyone illegally selling media that hasn't received a certificate of rating by the BBFC.

Yupyup. There's no legal requirement for the MPAA here, it's all voluntary and sustained by the film industry itself, distributors are not forced to comply with anything they say.

can you imagine it just being quietly dropped like the comics code was

that was a great day

• 5 weeks later...

<object id="vid_4e73df8c7ebbd8254f000001" class="ign-videoplayer" width="480" height="270" data="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf"'>http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ign.com/ev/prod/embed.swf" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="flashvars" value="url=http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/09/19/the-thing-red-band-trailer"/></object><div style="width:480px"><a href="http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/09/19/the-thing-red-band-trailer">More The Thing (2011) Videos</a></div>

it's gonna be here soon. it doesn't look ass-awful from this, either...we should talk about this.

Despite being a huge fan of The Thing, despite hating CGI constructions especially when used in comparison to superior effects work from the past, and despite hating half-cocked prequels I remain cautiously optimistic about it. Mainly I just want to see the Thing kill some more people: also I want another decent scary story with The Thing. It doesn't need to be as good or better than the original, that just won't happen, it just needs to not suck.

• 6 months later...

haven't seen a good asian horror flick in a minute, is Reincarnation good?

also, i think i asked this but, of the other 2 carpenter apocalypse movies, which is better: mouth of madness or prince of darkness? i intend to see both, just wondering what to expect - i'm not thinking either will touch Thing for me though.

haven't seen a good asian horror flick in a minute, is Reincarnation good?

also, i think i asked this but, of the other 2 carpenter apocalypse movies, which is better: mouth of madness or prince of darkness? i intend to see both, just wondering what to expect - i'm not thinking either will touch Thing for me though.

I watched that by myself one night when it came on the ScyFy channel all late at night (I believe it was part of that big Horror Fest thing...After Dark maybe? I know they elect a scream queen most years, and she is usually a Suicide Girl), anyway, long story short, I watched an hour of it at 3 am, and turned it off because it was too scary on my own. Then I dl'd it on Demonoid, and made a friend watch it with me at like noon a couple days later. I was still super scared. Shimizu is probably my favorite horror director, because he knows how to seriously terrify an audience. There wasn't a lot of gore, but for days after I was sleeping with the hall light on, and checking my closet because OMFG WHAT IF SOMETHING WAS IN THERE AND I DIDNT CHECK IT....laugh if you want. Ill probably check my closet tonight just in case, now that I think about it.

/super scared now :(

I know they elect a scream queen most years, and she is usually a Suicide Girl),

Ugh... I wish that trend would just hurry up and die already.

Anyhow: Between Prince of Darkness and In the Mouth of Madness it's hard to put one ahead of the other: Mouth is sharper and has Sam Neill (which never hurts anything) and Prince is really fucking creepy. They both have their own downfalls: for Mouth it's a meandering plot, for Prince it's the lead. Watch In the Mouth of Madness first.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Okay... I'm going to tell you about Suspiria because I doubt you've dipped your toes into Italian cinema very much so I want you to have the right expectations. Dario Argento is a shitty shitty bad awful shitty film-maker.

WITH THAT SAID, the man can frame a scene like a boss and his scripts are often pretty solid (as Italian horror movies go) just expect:

A) Awful dubbing, just the worst shit ever.

B) Bad special effects, there's some good ones but there's one involving a dog (you'll know it when you see it) that's hilariously terrible.

C) A twisty nonsensical plot that will only kind of make sense on repeat viewings

But it's creepy, it's atmospheric, and it's got moxy. It's an awful movie but if you accept it's deep and obvious flaws you can appreciate the beauty and talent that manage to make it very endearing.

As for Banshee Chapter... eh. I didn't hate it, didn't love it, pretty standard government conspiracy with Lovecraftian spookiness thing.

Edited by Iambaytor
  • Upvote 1

I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Okay... I'm going to tell you about Suspiria because I doubt you've dipped your toes into Italian cinema very much so I want you to have the right expectations. Dario Argento is a shitty shitty bad awful shitty film-maker.

WITH THAT SAID, the man can frame a scene like a boss and his scripts are often pretty solid (as Italian horror movies go) just expect:

A) Awful dubbing, just the worst shit ever.

B) Bad special effects, there's some good ones but there's one involving a dog (you'll know it when you see it) that's hilariously terrible.

C) A twisty nonsensical plot that will only kind of make sense on repeat viewings

Literally nothing but good things.