Hondo's Bar

Haggis

soldier of fortune

Have you eaten haggis - see below for description  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In honour of our newest member, Spicy McHaggis, i wonder out of all our many members of Hondo's are there any of us who've eaten it.

If you have, tell us what you though.

See below for what wiki says.

Haggis is a traditional Scottish dish. Although there are many recipes, it is normally made with the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately an hour. It somewhat resembles stuffed intestines (pig intestines otherwise known as chitterlings or the kokoretsi of traditional Greek cuisine.), sausages and savoury puddings of which it is among the largest types. As the 2001 English edition of the Larousse Gastronomique puts it, "[a]lthough its description is not immediately appealing, haggis has an excellent nutty texture and delicious savoury flavour." (p592)

Most modern commercial haggis outside of Scotland is prepared in a casing rather than an actual stomach. There are also meat-free recipes specifically for vegetarians which are designed to taste similar to the meat-based recipes.

It is often asserted (e.g., on the packaging of MacSween's haggis) that the dish is traditionally served with "neeps and tatties" (Scots: turnip and potatoes; these are boiled and mashed separately) and a "dram" (ie. a glass of Scotch whisky). However, it might perhaps be more accurate to describe this as the traditional main course of a Burns supper, since on other occasions haggis may be eaten with other accompaniments. Whisky sauce (made from thickened stock and Scotch whisky) has recently been developed as an elegant addition.

haggis%20in%20dish%20with%20knife%20-%20colour.JPG

DOJ HAS RABIES

you fucker, with your acronyms..... all these beatings in chess and still no respect....

unverified, but likely true.

has anyone here, who never ate this stuff growing up, eaten it at some point, and enjoyed it?

and yes, i never ate this growing up but ate it at some point, and enjoyed it a lot, enjoyed it enough to badger everyone i know who goes to scotland to bring me some back

Archived