Hondo's Bar

Transformers - More than Meets the Eye

ban_him.jpg

Oh fuck off, Die Hard 4 was overrated. They did several things that just don't fly for Die Hard, one of the main ones being that they made it PG-13. What the fuck?! It wasn't a Die Hard movie, John McClaine was in it but Die Hard it was not. It's not Die Harder, but nothing can be.

Oh fuck off, Die Hard 4 was overrated. They did several things that just don't fly for Die Hard, one of the main ones being that they made it PG-13. What the fuck?! It wasn't a Die Hard movie, John McClaine was in it but Die Hard it was not. It's not Die Harder, but nothing can be.

Oh i dont think die hard sucked. It was great but i thought transformers was much better.

Did we watch a different movie? i didnt once think "man, theyre puling punches cause its PG-13!" That was at least better than Vengence, at worst, still edged out over Die Harder, for the most part. what the hell was missing? Explosions, one-liners, Mcclaine?

ps youre dead to me, mistah falcon.

• 2 weeks later...
Yippekayyaymuthafuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Stupid Die Hard 4. Stupid McClaine not hungover or rocking a wife-beater or having an island. He looked like Hostage. Stupid Die Hard 4.

Transformers on the other hand was the best.

:welcome: you can feel the banhammer, too, my friend.

• 1 year later...

I'm with NZA on this one, Transformers blew. Much like Alien vs Predator(both of em), they put the focus on boring, bland, 2 dimensional human characters, and you know, the big DRAW of the movie, the reason people were seeing it(ie, the predators and aliens fighting, and the Transformers) were given bit parts.

Fuck, the animated Transformers movie absolutely blew this one away, even in the acting department!

Yeah I think they kinda got the point with peoples' complaints about the first one. This movie looks much darker for one, I got a feeling this was a more serious film and there seems to be more robot action in this one. I'm glad to see Ravage and Soundwave are making appearances and from what I've seen of Devastator he's going to kick ass as well, hopefully he doesn't go like a bitch like Bonecrusher did in the first one.

If anything i'd say this will be bigger and more awesome than the 1st

Agreed. Anyone looking for anything deep or thought provoking in the new movie is bound to be disapointed. I think it's going to be a very fun movie, like the last, but with more action scenes. I'll be happy as long as there are tons of robot fights with people in immediate danger running around like ants under a massive mechanical war.

And maybe some T&A, but not a lot.

• 4 months later...

Well just got back from it and I gotta say I was a little disappointed. Yar! Thar be spoilers ahoy...

First off it was dripping in cheese. I was getting hungry watching it there was so much cheese. The standard Bay-splosions and that were awesome and the CG was top notch.

One scene in the woods with Optimus fighting a whole bunch of baddies was the standout for me visually.

The story was weapons-grade shite though and the film in general took itself a little too seriously. That trademark throwaway humour that made the first one so great felt forced here. A real low point for me was the

"Autobot twins", a pair of comic relief bots whose only purpose seemed to be setting the civil rights movement back a few decades or so.

When the end credits rolled (

sometime before another Linkin Park song and long after the word "destiny" had lost all meaning

) I felt a little cheated because the movie had all the potential to be absolutely great but just kinda fell on its arse somewhere between

Optimus' death

and

the gang arriving in Egypt

6/10 cos alphanumeric ratings are all the rage these days.

PS Almost forgot! Megan Fox was fiiiiine as usual.

Edited by crimsonfire

I enjoyed it for what it was - something I could watch without having to think my way through it.

Lots of good shiny robots who's names I couldnt keep track of, fought lots of bad shiny robots whose names became more and more lame, and even harder to keep track of.

When Optimus Prime died, I got sad, because I like him, despite his cheesy end-scene conclusions (duty to earth this, protection that, que misty scene together with Sam on a hill) and then I got angry, because without seeing a blue and red coloured robot fighting another shiny non-coloured robot,

I struggled to tell who was who, and thus who was kicking who's arse. You know, until bumblebee came in and started going all craz-ay. Shits easy to fgiure out when a bright yellow robot starts bringing the pain. *grimace and muscle tense*.

I agree with JZA (Who will no doubt come online tomorrow first thing and post about how he coulda-hit-that with the blonde girly - Isobel something - who was mediocre famous here on a terrible, terrri-bibble soapy called Home and Away before she fucked off, tried to save some dolphins by pissing off some Asian people with Heiden Penetentiere or however its spelt, and started fucking the goofy guy from entourage.... And its true, he coulda made a pass at her,

but if shes going to be a flesh covered robot who attempts to date rapes a guy with a 15foot extending metal tongue, maybe he saved himself some pain by opting not to, and marrying me instead....

) Wow, I digress much. I agree with JZA when he stated LOUDLY, IN THE CAR, LOUDLY that the movie was an hour too long. (That was my original point, I got way-laid.)

Holy crap if it wasnt almost 3 hours. I dont DO almost 3 hour movies. By almost 3 hours, you have to be aware of the plot thus far. This movie had a plot, sure, and for the most part I followed it mindlessly, but I was too engrossed in the robot-arse-kicking, I didnt really take much notice of it until Megz BITCHED THE WHOLE WAY HOME about how much she hated it, and why. And yeah, on reflection, plot is very long winded and needlessly involved, while simultaniously being kind of lame. I mean, its not going to be a realistic depiction, because uh - were talking about alien robots who morph into electrical or mechanical items here - but yeah. Someone tell me how the fuck they arrived in Egypt instantly? Did they travel through the Earths core? BECAUSE I DID GRADE 10 SCIENCE, AND THAT SHIT AINT RIGHT!

And we all agreed as a famblee that the scene where they go to

find the jet or whatever, and then freak out because OH MY GOD ITS A DECEPTERCON when they would have FUCKING EXPECTED A DECEPTECON was pretty lame and silly

. Jay compared it to a german WW2 soldier, capturing a jew and saying "I am going to take you to see my master, who we all obey" and then you (as a jew) flipping out because OH MY GOD, YOU TOOK ME TO HITLER? WHY GODDAMN YOU? WHY???" And that pretty much summed it up pretty well.

All in all, I got what I wanted - Lots of awesome high-tech robot action (which will look outdated in 2 years), Some cheesy jokes (WHICH I LIKE, SHANUS), Mr Fergie looked hot as usual, Megan Fox in tight blue shorts has probably given my husband some more spank bank material for when Im not around, or too tired, (THANKS MS FOX!)

and Isobel whatever got run over by a car -

which I think she should work on IRL, because she seemed to struggle with that part and she might need to practice... (And I say this NOT because my husband 'could-have-hit-that', but because shes a terrible, terrible actress who needs dental work and makes australians look like brittish book of teeth advocates) Nicole Kidman has actually stopped tormenting the world with her 'acting' because she finally got herself sprogged up with Sunday-Roast, do we REALLY need another terrible Australian actress fucking their way to a screen career by sleeping with goofy, self involved Americans? Eh.

Overall, Id give it a 8.5, but id prefer not to be forced to listen to Linkin Park again, thankyou, so I deduct a point to a 7.5.

All's these people posting above, that I saw the movie with, held the first movie on this big old pedastal that somehow this plucky little sequel couldn't live up to. The first one suffered from the same problem as the second: Terrible pacing meaning any interesting sequences are lost among fucking establishment shots and 'character moments'. I still can't stay awake through the first one(and therefore can't remember it), whereas this one only saw me nod off momentarily a couple of times. Crim's right about those black autobot twins though(one of them rocking a gold tooth, no less), they were the arseface of the TFU.

Here's what I got for my money(or Meg's money. I dunno): Dinner(Nando's FTW),

some genuinely funny John Turturro shit,

a superhot Megan Fox straight off a 50's Coca Cola board,

Optimus Prime playing Bad Cop(

'You're under arrest', then two shots to the fuckin' head! Awesome!!

),

Tyreese Gibbons playing the same surly but loveable character he's known so well for,

Devastator's balls,

another conspiracy theory regarding aliens & pyramids(of which I am a fan)

a Doom's mentor-style villian that sure, was a little confused in his motivation, but genuinely intimidating(much moreso than robo-sapien Megatron)

I vaguely recall Starscream being a conniving twat in the first one, but he really shone here, especially his remark at the end

'I don't mean to call you a coward, master, but sometimes only cowards survive' before turning tail & bolting

soundwave as a remote control truck! On the downside though, he sounded like a fifties fucking mobster.

a genuione attempt at explaining how the fucking these things become the shapes they do. On a side note my arguement re: upholstered transformers has been sated.

Movie also loses points for not having Van Halen's You got the Touch anywhere.

After the terribleness that was Terminator Salvation, I agree at least that fucking robots need to go back to toasting bread and don't deserve anymore screentime.

Well yes but they didn't rewrite the entire script to incorporate Christian Bale's ego in this one.