Hondo's Bar

Cloverfield

Kinda??? Nigh on identical....

Eh, it's been a few years.

Either way, that would just be lame...

It's this scary monster of some sort! No-one's ever seen anything like it!

Wait...what?

Except Final Fantasy fans...oops.

Well, no-one who's had sex has ever seen anything like it!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw it tonight.

This is not the monster:

2001230418515999011_rs.jpg

The actual monster (or monsters(s)) ,it's hard to tell as you don't get a really good look at it till the end and it seems to change sizes and look entirely different all throughout, is cool and scary and everything but I still would have liked to have seen whalezilla. There are mutant lice things but they look nothing like that they look

like the spider things from The Mist

The main character of Rob I feel isn't the protagonist of this film in my opinion, it's the cameraman Hud. He's simple, funny, buddy character-ish and he's easily the most likable character there and though he's following Rob you're seeing things as he sees them and have a running commentary.

The movie has it's scares of shocks, suspense, laughs, and sad moments, all in all it's the best monster movie I've ever seen. However it also has a few problems namely we learn nothing about the creature that Hud doesn't see. We don't know what the monster is, if there's one (though they speak of it in singular tense but it does seem to be a lot of places at once and change shape and size), why the lice bites cause some sort of infection, why the doctors freak out so much about said infection like she's gonna turn into a zombie or something, what happens ultimately

They nuke Manhattan and after the credits we hear Rob say "It's still alive"

, or why the fuck the movie is called Cloverfield.

So I don't know if there's a sequel or how they plan on doing it but all in all I give it a 10.

It doesn't need to show or tell you much, you wonder but for the most part you don't care. It's a character driven monster movie, just like Romero's movies aren't really about zombies, this movie isn't really about a giant monster attacking New York.

There are a beginning and an end but it's a monster movie, how do they ever end?

I saw it on Thursday it was outstanding!! JJ Abrams and his team have created a classic!! Clocking in at a just under 90 minutes (credits included) it is lean and mean! What the beast looks like is not important. The funny thing is you see it a lot in the movie and I still could not accurately describe it. The movie's focus is the unfortunate people caught in the middle. The perspective of the handy-cam is a brilliant stylistic choice. It locks your view to the characters surroundings, making it suffocating and visceral. Also, those demon fleas make every scene nail-biting, it does not let up!

It does not show the Godzilla rules... (The professor debating the use of force, the mayor sitting in a control room with the a map of the destruction, the generals debating how much force they should use) you know it still happening off camera. This film does not need it, besides you've all seen it before. The movie does not show many "money shots" it shows you just enough that you constantly want more. Cloverfield makes the tired monster movie feel fresh and new.

I know some people have complained about the shaky cam comparing to the Blair Witch Project (a movie that I love). The comparison is accurate.

So just take some Dramamine toughen-up and go see this brutally fun movie!

or why the fuck the movie is called Cloverfield.

Cloverfield, its a street outside JJ Abrams office in L.A. it means nothing. Some think it was the decoy title like "Blue Harvest" for "Return of The Jedi"it might have just taken a life of its own, just another part of marketing masterpiece.

Dude why did you even bother putting the spoilers up at all? Spoiler tags are like a big red button that says "Do Not Push" to me. Despite the fact that ive just ruined the ending for myself I cant wait to see this.

Like I said, the ending isn't hard to guess. Spoiling the end of a monster movie is like spoiling the end of The Passion of the Christ.

Hey guys...

if they had nuked it...the EMP would have wiped the tape/card clean in the camera.

Or it would have vaporized said camcorder.

Plus there would have been a HUGE FUCKING FLASH instead of debris falling everywhere and 2 smaller flashes.

All in all...they didn't nuke it.

Its called Cloverfield cos that was the secret working title originally but I read an interview in Empire with Abrams and he said he just decided to name it that very late in the game cos it was what everyone was calling it anyway. He said theres "something wonderfully incongruous" about naming a monster movie Cloverfield.

So yeah it was pretty much the fans that named the movie!

i saw this last night and that shit was intense. i know a lot of people are complaining about the shaky camera but it really wouldn't have been the same movie by far without it having been filmed in that manner. it only really takes a few minutes to get used to, unless you have perpetual sand in your vagina. for me, it felt more like an experience and gave me more of a visceral reaction than any movie has since signs, which i know a lot of people didn't like but when they were in the basement, i had a mini flashback to how i felt during hurricane andrew, being trapped in my brother's room, not knowing what was going on outside but thinking i was going to die and actually feeling that scared again...which is pretty powerful since i never had PTSD from that hurricane. but i digress. anyway, i think that this is one of the best monster movies i've ever seen.

No it wasn't a giant rubber monster with granny thighs. In retrospect... why do people still think that classic Godzilla looks cool?

that's unfair; there's no fire coming out of his mouth in that pic. you'd totally get it if there was.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was a bad comedy and an even worse love story, at best.

The camera wrecked my head, the only likable character was killed too early and the fact that they somehow survived a fucking helicopter crash seemed fucking stupid to me, and i mean, not only is it unbelievable they'd survive a heli crash, but the camera does too... For fuck sake's like, its just stupid.

I thought it was a bad comedy and an even worse love story, at best.

The camera wrecked my head, the only likable character was killed too early and the fact that they somehow survived a fucking helicopter crash seemed fucking stupid to me, and i mean, not only is it unbelievable they'd survive a heli crash, but the camera does too... For fuck sake's like, its just stupid.

it only really takes a few minutes to get used to, unless you have perpetual sand in your vagina. for me,

You're right Dr Linds. Surgical extraction of the sand may be our only option from here. You're a right mad bastard Dr Linds.

Archived