Hondo's Bar

Whats with all the hype?

ill not defend a musical, but you prolly didnt get The Graduate because you quit on college.

oh, it burns!

ok, fine. also, youve said before how you hate Simon & Garfunkel, and Dustin Hoffman, and mom/daugher combos. there was nothing there for you, dropout.

it was largely summed up when he was talking to his father in the pool, his old man asked him what he was gonna do next, and he said he didnt know, he was just drifting. he pretty much does that, gets deduced etc until he choses a direction in the famous finale by not letting the daughter go after banging her mother senseless for a few months. its a story about all things american.

they teach you things like that, in film classes. in college.

wow, uh, maybe non-americans didnt get borat? that's a shame.

Hot Fuzz - saw a bad bootleg, mebbe i should see it again - good, but not as good as Shaun i thought.

Team America - eh, had its moments here & there.

didnt see the other 2, Clerks 2 was great indeed but i cant say i laughed at any of these like i did with Borat - did you guys see the Ali G show at all beforehand? Broat was the funniest of his 3 characters, its kinda funny cause many people here dint see Ali G i think but it killed over here. anyway, this is surprising to me.

i Love the ali g show, but i never really liked borats character, it was always ali g i loved, i especially loved ali g, in da house, the movie

and i could also pitch up supertroopers, old school and snatch as funnier movies

• 5 years later...

This is kinda it, ASC. We still need one for underrated.

Know what movie I saw for the first time that sucked? Pretty In Pink. That Ducky guy shoulda gotten to bang Molly Ringwald, but that douche bag James Spader.

YES! I saw that a couple of weeks ago, it ended and I was like "what the fuck? This is a horrible ending to a dumb movie". It was the dingleberry on top of a shit sandwich.

It wasn't Spader though, it was his buddy.

When Transformers came out, everyone was telling me over and over things ranging from "it's actually pretty good" to "fucking epic!".

It was a painful trudge through summer movie mediocrity, and I'm dumber for having seen it.

I've seen the Star Wars movies exactly one time, and I have no desire to revisit them. I think the universe itself is interesting, and I've certainly experienced and enjoyed many forms of media involving it, but the movies are only cool if you saw them when you were young and impressionable (i.e. an idiot).

Shakespeare In Love was gay as fuck.

The Hurt Locker was absolutely nothing special.

Chicago was retarded, as are most musicals that aren't The Wizard of Oz, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Dancer in the Dark or South Park.

The Life of Brian is an entire movie revolving around a couple of weak gags and it's by far the worst Monty Python film (The Meaning of Life is the best, btw, not The Holy Grail).

Saving Private Ryan can suck my dick.

Transformers was shit, but it's still better than any non-comics/non-Beast Wars format available up till that point so it gets a pass. Parts 1 and 3 were fun and explodey so they get a pass.

There are reasons to like Star Wars beyond nostalgia. I actually hated them when I was a kid because I though they were boring and didn't gain an appreciation of them until I was in my late teens, they're a love letter to drive-in movies and B-cinema in general and a lot of fun even if only 1 of the three leads was a very good actor. They were all fun and entertaining and vastly better than any of the attempts to cash in on the trend.

I can't blame somebody for not liking Life of Brian, I've kind of warmed up to it after repeated viewings but the humor is... very very dry. It certainly is their weakest but I think it's also unfair to compare it to really anything else they did as it's really an entirely different animal. I still prefer Holy Grail to Meaning of Life but I can see why someone would rank them in opposite order.

Haven't seen Pretty In Pink, The Hurt Locker, Shakespeare in Love and have no desire to ever.

Chicago was pretty bad (I would also like to say I didn't much care for The Wizard of Oz, but that's more because I'm a fan of the universe and thinking musicals are usually unnecessary, especially as adaptations of legitimately cool fantasy universes. Return to Oz is the best Oz movie.)

With Saving Private Ryan it's about an hour too long and the whole premise of the story is kind of dumb when you take a step back and look at it. That said: the final shoot-out, a few of the mid-way ones, and that scene where Nathan Fillion loses his shit because he thinks his kid brother died are all good. Still: Kelly's Heroes, The Great Escape, and The Dirty Dozen are the only World War 2 movies I feel are required viewing with a handful of others that are entertaining. (I'm of course not counting Holocaust movies as World War 2 movies, so be quiet Jax/Hakujin/Whoever)

What eclectic shit do I like just because it's eclectic?

You bear the Baytor seed of liking eclectic shit for the fact that it's eclectic.

Bullshit.

This is what people say when they can't comprehend why someone would like something. "well, I can't see anything good about it, so surely anyone who says they do is just saying it to be cool or something". You should know better,

You realize by now that there's a great many things about people that are alien to you. You even seem to acknowledge this.

So don't fall into that trap. There is not a SINGLE fucking thing that I force myself to enjoy just to maintain some image, and it's a cunty thing to imply.

I was once told by a poster on the IMDb message boards that I and anyone else claiming to have legitimately enjoyed A Serious Man (The Coen Brothers' least popular movie from the No Country to True Grit cycle) was just lying to sound smart or some nonsense. I have never felt more justified to call someone an asshole on the internet.

Edited by Iambaytor

Bullshit.

This is what people say when they can't comprehend why someone would like something. "well, I can't see anything good about it, so surely anyone who says they do is just saying it to be cool or something". You should know better,

You realize by now that there's a great many things about people that are alien to you. You even seem to acknowledge this.

So don't fall into that trap. There is not a SINGLE fucking thing that I force myself to enjoy just to maintain some image, and it's a cunty thing to imply.

Well i clearly acknowledged in the next unquoted phrase that i might have missed some ethereal highbrow point to the flick, but I guess you'd already put together your indignant little piece and god forbid we miss any beautiful words you put together in response to figmentary accusation. It was a harmless goddamned jab. I wasn't making a serious character assessment. that's what italics are for.

I wrote that last year and I've been waiting to copy paste it, you aren't getting off. And getting indignant about someone getting indignant just makes a death spiral of indignacity.

I don't think the movie was highbrow or anything, but I've probably seen it a half dozen times and I quote it pretty regular.

I was once told by a poster on the IMDb message boards that I and anyone else claiming to have legitimately enjoyed A Serious Man (The Coen Brothers' least popular movie from the No Country to True Grit cycle) was just lying to sound smart or some nonsense. I have never felt more justified to call someone an asshole on the internet.

I can only hope you e-punched their e-faces in. A Serious Man was fantastic.

I wrote that last year and I've been waiting to copy paste it, you aren't getting off. And getting indignant about someone getting indignant just makes a death spiral of indignacity.

I simply pointed out that your offence was completely unjustified and went on to nail the fact that you used pre-loaded script made invalid by my followup remark. That's how Joel communicates. I do like the word indignacity though and may just call a cat that one day.

Watchmen(book) is obvious, a few of you have griped about Hush previously too. I dug that for the same reason other people like action movies though.

Why did I encourage this?

When Transformers came out, everyone was telling me over and over things ranging from "it's actually pretty good" to "fucking epic!".

It was a painful trudge through summer movie mediocrity, and I'm dumber for having seen it.

Transformers is one of the worst films I've seen in recent years, I actually fell asleep watching it. It's so fucking boring.

Never seen it and I don't plan to.

I've seen the Star Wars movies exactly one time, and I have no desire to revisit them. I think the universe itself is interesting, and I've certainly experienced and enjoyed many forms of media involving it, but the movies are only cool if you saw them when you were young and impressionable (i.e. an idiot).

I watched the trilogy so long ago, if Star Wars wasn't ingrained in pop culture I'd know nothing about it. I've tried watching IV three times since, but I can't get past C3PO in the desert. There is no fucking way Jar Jar could be more annoying.

Huge meh, never knew it was rated highly by anyone.

The Hurt Locker was absolutely nothing special.

It so was though, it has some of the most tense scenes I've ever seen filmed.

Chicago was retarded, .

Never seen, never will.

The Life of Brian is an entire movie revolving around a couple of weak gags and it's by far the worst Monty Python film (The Meaning of Life is the best, btw, not The Holy Grail).

I can't blame somebody for not liking Life of Brian, I've kind of warmed up to it after repeated viewings but the humor is... very very dry. It certainly is their weakest but I think it's also unfair to compare it to really anything else they did as it's really an entirely different animal. I still prefer Holy Grail to Meaning of Life but I can see why someone would rank them in opposite order.

:suicide:

Is...is this a thing? Do Americans not like (dare I be cuntish?)/get The Life Of Brian? I am a massive fucking fan of The Holy Grail and it was always my favourite, but over the years The Life Of Brian has surpassed it. For me they are the two funniest films I've ever seen. The Meaning Of Life a good bit down the scale, though I really need to rewatch that, I've only ever seen it once about 10 years ago, I need to give it another chance. But ah back to Brian, Jesus..I'm genuinely lost for words...

Saving Private Ryan can suck my dick.

It's fine.

Is...is this a thing? Do Americans not like (dare I be cuntish?)/get The Life Of Brian? I am a massive fucking fan of The Holy Grail and it was always my favourite, but over the years The Life Of Brian has surpassed it. For me they are the two funniest films I've ever seen. The Meaning Of Life a good bit down the scale, though I really need to rewatch that, I've only ever seen it once about 10 years ago, I need to give it another chance. But ah back to Brian, Jesus..I'm genuinely lost for words...

I said I could see why someone would feel like Logan, I didn't say I didn't like it. It's horrendously dry and coming from a place where Monty Python never really tried before, it's a bit disarming but it did finally click with me. It's still my least favorite of the trilogy but that's really because it's not as fun as the other two (it is above And Now For Something Completely Different if that helps assuage your pain)

Huge meh, never knew it was rated highly by anyone.

It won the Oscar for Best Picture, as well as 6 other Oscars, so somehow, there are a lot of people, at least within Hollywood, that thought is was. I mean, 1998 was not a GREAT year for movies (unlike 1999, which WAS a great year for movies), but there were lots of better movies than Shakespeare in Love.