Hondo's Bar

Silent Hill 5: Homecoming

The NZA

*sigh* i hate this, but you'll just wiki it if i dont say, anyway.

the big complaint was that Pyramid Head should only manifest for James somehow, right? He could very well be just in his head, as a manifestation of his guilt/desire for punishment. once James "gets" that, at the end, when he accepts what he's done to Mary, the pyramid head(s) are no longer invincible, and having played their roles, bow out violently.

I always figured James got the vision/idea for them based on the painting of a ominous, red-helmeted executioner in the civil war museum...i was trying to sort that out, as he sees him first in the apartment complex, before you encounter said painting, but then i recalled: he's been to silent hill before.

still, the confrontational, rape-happy red helmeted pyramid head, i think that stays with James.

Alex (part V), on the other hand, doesnt interact much with him/them. If i recall correctly, he eerily passes by on your visit to the Grand Hotel (which you'll recall from part 2's ending with James), and manages to scare the shit out of you at a point you're already wanting to get the fuck out of said hotel, but has nothing to do with you at this point.

Much later, an individual close to Alex, who's betrayed The Order, is left and quickly sacrificed in front of Alex, by the same, black-helmeted pyramid head (the game's design takes more than a few pages from the film). Alex pursues, but just advances further down the spiral, never finding him. This interested me, as the game sort've has you thinking Alex - consciously or not - might've wanted this individual sacrificed. To that end, pyramid head is either doing the deeds of The Order, or - more likely in my head - still playing a role in those who come to Silent Hill.

Either way, though, he's a boogeyman in this chapter; you dont fight him at any time. One of the more interesting endings - the one you get from making the "evil", or simply selfish, decision in the 3 moral choices towards the game's end - shows 2 of them turning Alex into one of them, presumably after passing the test. Bishop was talking about how he's not as fond of The Order as the big bad guys as I am sometimes, and how he loved that they had nothing to do with part 2 at all. On that, im really thinking Pyramid Head has nothing to do with them, either.

Mind you, i dont know that gamefaqs yet has a plot summary up (theyre usually not bad) so this is just what i surmised.

• 2 years later...

kept meaning to revisit this thread - HD collection should reinforce it, but yeah, i replayed this a while back on 360 as well. i never ran into any game-breaking bugs, but overall, i think i rated it too high - possibly because it was being underrated/ignored elsewhere at the time? i dunno. it wasn't bad, but it obviously wasnt Team Silent, and i think i only really didn't like the final act because it went more Saw/Hostel and that's very much not SH.

one thing i forgot about that does really shine is some of the music. Yamaoka delivered like usual.

looking back - it doesn't touch 2 or 3, and 1 (as bish says) ages horribly but was fantastic for its time, i wanna say i liked this better than the execution (but not the concept, at least) for 4. still haven't finished/can't rate Origins or SM though.

i don't think you or gun know how to check mentions on twitter; hondo's has replied to both of youse

yeah, i just think it largely fell apart for me by the final act - the moral choices were interesting (and though i dont think the series calls for them, they were certainly done better than they could've been), but the last act particularly opens with some bullshit Saw/Hostel stuff and drops off more as it goes.

still, id likely grab it for cheap as well, but nah, best i think i saw was a $20 sale on GG or impulse a while back? realistically, the game should be well under $10 by now, but as i said, that's not even on my top 10 list of Konami's sins this gen. i guess i should be grateful they know DD exists, compared to a lot've other japanese devs?

Archived