Hondo's Bar

The Star Trek Discussion Thread

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a vague memory of an old episode with that character fencing, actually.

You're talking about the Star Trek: Original Series episode "The Naked Time", in which the crew gets infected by some kind of virus that makes them all drunk and lose their inhibitions. This is the episode where Sulu is seen waving a sword.

320x240.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
i would love to see takei appear in the film as his father. maybe even a little fencing between the two would be great, only this time shirts on please!!!!

I think all of the surviving Original-series cast members should be in this movie, even if for a quick cameo scene at the end of the movie or something.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
That is cool! What game is that from? Makes me wanna put in Soul Calibur III and see if I can make Star Trek characters on there.

Really? The part with Captain Picard holding a microphone, Dr Crusher on bass, Counselor Troi on guitar and Lt Commander Worf on drums, Commander La Forge on guitar, and No 1 on bass, didn't leave alot of ambiguity. It's from Rock Band.

• 4 weeks later...

Source

I, Lieutenant Worf, Endorse Barack Obama For President in Your Year 2008

LtWorf_15.jpg By LtWorf - May 10, 2008, 7:42PM

With Barack Obama's recent victory in North Carolina, and his virtual tie in Indiana's primary, it is time for me to get off the fence. Having traveled back in time to the era in which the Star Trek television set of series aired, which is a remarkably frequent occurrence given the impracticality of time travel, I, Lieutenant Worf, from television's Star Trek-The Next Generation and Star Trek-Deep Space Nine, am now ready to declare who I support in the 2008 Presidential Campaign. I announce today my endorsement for Senator Barack Obama (D.-Ill.) and urge you to vote for him in the fall.

You may ask what about Senator Obama speaks to me, and causes me to endorse at this time. Is it biography? Surely, I am moved by the story of his humble origins, his absent Kenyan father, his mother working to make ends meet, and growing up without his father in an environment where his racial identity was unclear. After all, I, Lieutenant Worf, am a Klingon by birth, but raised by Caucasian humans, the Rozhenkos, on the farm world of Gault. So I know a little bit about absent fathers, and being a dark-skinned man, looked upon as an alien in a white world.

It was clear when Obama became the first African-American President of the Harvard Law Review that he might be someone special. This is much as it was for me. While undergoing the Rite of MajQua in the lava caves of No'Mat, the vision of the original Klingon warrior Kahless appeared to me, prophesying that I would do what no other Klingon had done. Obama's time at Harvard showed his potential for leadership and bridge building, not unlike mine at Starfleet Academy. People trash the graduates of such "elite" programs, but my time at Starfleet has served me well, and taught me about other species and their cultures. I believe that a President Obama would capably lead an increasingly diverse America, though you will not have need for his innate ability to connect with alien species, since your world will not know warpdrive until the late 21st Century.

Speaking of diversity, you may have noticed that in Starfleet, Caucasian humans are still in charge of most spaceships, for no evident reason. Yet just as twenty-fourth century humans began to move beyond that narrowness by placing Captain Benjamin Sisko in charge of Deep Space Nine, and Captain Elizabeth Janeway in command of Voyager, so are you finally learning in your primitive century that women and nonCaucasians can rule your societies. Good for you.

People have attacked the depth of Obama's grasp of economics, and also his religiosity as a Christian. I've heard that tune before. People said I didn't understand the Ferengi rules of acquisition, but I proved time and again that I do. And while my friends have thought me secular, well, I have a healthy respect for Bajoran beliefs concerning their prophets. Given our deep personal connections, I think the critiques of him hold no more water.

But there is more that I see in him. Just as the transcendental challenge of your time is Moslem extremism, so in my future it was the Borg. The Borg are as alien to us as bin Laden is to you. And if I, a Klingon by birth raised by Russian farmers, can command the Defiant in Admiral Hayes' fleet against the Second Borg invasion and fight off the Borg's would-be temporal sabotage, then I think Obama, with whom I have so much in common, can lead the fight against Islamofascism to a successful conclusion.

In conclusion, I urge you to vote for Senator Barack Obama. And since I'm from the future, and know the outcome, I'll be putting fifty thousand of your dollars on his winning, and taking "the over" at Vegas on the proposition that he will this year attain 51% of the popular vote in the American election. So please remember, g'hay'cha ("Damn it"!), vote for President Obama. I mean, Senator Obama, forgot the Stardate, sorry.

• 7 months later...

R.I.P. :cheerleader:

Majel Barrett-Roddenberry dead at 76.

LOS ANGELES, Calif. --

Majel Barrett-Roddenberry, the wife of “Star Trek” creator Gene Roddenberry, has passed away, Access Hollywood has learned. She was 76.

The actress died of leukemia at 12:27 AM on Thursday in her Bel-Air home with her son, Rod, by her side, a rep for the star confirmed to Access in a statement. She was diagnosed with the disease six months ago.

Majel, whose acting credits included “Bonanza,” “Leave It To Beaver” and “The Lucy Show,” had been a part of “Star Trek” in all of its forms since it first premiered on September 8, 1966.

In addition to playing Number One and Nurse Christine Chapel in the original series, she played Deanna Troi’s mother Lwaxana Troi on “Star Trek: The Next Generation.”

And Majel also voiced the computer of the various starships used throughout all of the TV shows and movies from the sci-fi franchise — she just completed her voiceover work as the voice of the Enterprise in director J.J. Abrams’ reboot of “Star Trek,” due in theaters on May 8, 2009.

A public memorial is planned for sometime after Christmas or in early 2009. Her family has asked that donations are made to the CARE Organization or Precious Paws in lieu of flowers.

Copyright 2008 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved.

This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• 9 months later...

OK, so, I am not really a Trekkie. I saw a few dozen Next Generation episodes back in the day because my dad watched, and saw each of Star Trek movies through First Contact, but only once each, with the exception of The Voyage Home, which I've seen a few times. It's from the original cast's movies that I knew most of what I knew about the original cast, as I had only seen The Trouble With Tribbles from the Original Series. A few weeks ago, I saw that YouTube had started to host whole seasons of several old TV shows, in the style of Hulu with a few commercial breaks. Among them were all three seasons of the original Star Trek with about half a dozen episodes not included (I don't know why, maybe legal reasons?). So I decided to start watching it. I'm up to episode 10 of season 3 right now, Plato's Stepchildren. So here are some of my impressions from almost having finished the series.

Firstly, not since Mother Goose I have ever seem such unabashedly unveiled allegory. It's like every episode is a Greek myth in the veil of Prometheus or Icarus or Phaëton. There's no reading between the lines here, and even when it's so straightforward, they might as well just spell it out for you, half the time Kirk will end the episode by literally spelling it out for you. I guess television audiences were different in the sixties, because there's not appreciation for subtly here.

Secondly, Kirk is a pimp. Seriously, the Ancient Humanoids may have seeded the whole galaxy, but Kirk works pretty hard to keep up with them.

Thirdly, Shatner's inflections actually begin sounding very natural after not too long. You catch it every now and then and think "how have I been able to get immersed in this character while he talks like this?" But you can.

Glad they recognized what Bones added to Kirk and Spock's dynamic early on and elevated his status in the story telling. I guess I have some thoughts on individual episodes, but overall I've dug the series so far.