Hondo's Bar

Battle of the Animated Serieses

Acalis

Which is the best Animated TV Series?  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What's up with all the hate on newer Simpsons seasons? I never stopped watching and have found the writing, stories, voice acting, etc all among television's most consistently brilliant shows. When did it become uncool to like the newer seasons?

I'm not saying its uncool or anything, i just feel the newer series are lacking in what i love about the old ones

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call me crazy, but I thought The Simpsons actually got better with age. I wasn't too crazy about the first 2 seasons of the show, but after that I felt the show was really starting to take off. 18 years is a long time for a TV series, I think it breaks all the records! Just 2 more seasons till the big 2-0.

It breaks the records for animated shows and prime time scripted shows (it doesn't beat shows like 60 Minutes for example).

I agree, the writing has gotten more fast paced, and the circumstances more absurd, and the show reveals in the absurdity (to Homer: "Do you even have a job anymore?"). Is the so as "real" as it used to be? No. Homer doesn't worry about losing his job, he's more of a big kid than ever before. Fights between Homer and Marge that used to seem genuine are now little more than plot devices. Lisa is more jaded and non-salant (sp?) about her unintellectual surroundings, both and home and school. The animated show that used to be more real than all the "real shows" out there, has become a cartoon over the years. But the writing is still brilliant and the show has changed because the need the freedom to do what they want with the stories, and they are unashamed of the variation. Three cheers.

It breaks the records for animated shows and prime time scripted shows (it doesn't beat shows like 60 Minutes for example).

I agree, the writing has gotten more fast paced, and the circumstances more absurd, and the show reveals in the absurdity (to Homer: "Do you even have a job anymore?"). Is the so as "real" as it used to be? No. Homer doesn't worry about losing his job, he's more of a big kid than ever before. Fights between Homer and Marge that used to seem genuine are now little more than plot devices. Lisa is more jaded and non-salant (sp?) about her unintellectual surroundings, both and home and school. The animated show that used to be more real than all the "real shows" out there, has become a cartoon over the years. But the writing is still brilliant and the show has changed because the need the freedom to do what they want with the stories, and they are unashamed of the variation. Three cheers.

do you not feel that that the episodes are'nt as funny as they once were? forget real vs cartoon.

it used to be funnier. there was a time when i would watch simpsons every day of the week and god help you if you got in the way of me seeing the new episode on sunday. after about season 10-11 it got worse, a lot worse.

but there is a silver lining, the last three or four episodes i've seen have been brilliant, and i'm back watching the simpsons again.

can't wait for the movie

still sitting on that seires, gotta watch it soon.

SB's totally cheating, choosing bats in a comedy thread! ive only seen like 1 episode of Dilbert, or American Dad, but as much as ive enjoyed the Simpsons, i see Family Guy taking this, even over South Park, which is hit and miss as it goes on, i think. then again, i havent seen it as much these days.

Everyone sucks. Futurama never gets any love. its consistently better than the simpsons and its vastly underrated. its the best all-round show imo.

And this isnt very relevent but does anyone notice how family guy has started not bleeping the cursing? Well on the dvds anyway. I think a good animated show shouldnt need to have "fucks" and "shits" everywhere to illicit a cheap laugh. If its integral to the situation or scene then sure its fine (like that south park ep where they counted all the shits) but just using the cursing as the humour is stupid.

After much deliberation, I had to go with Futurama. Why? It's consistently brilliant; some may argue otherwise, but I'd say the Simpsons lost its way. Maybe some prefer it, but nothing beats great scripting no matter how many celebs are thrown in. It's a damned close second though.

The humour in things like Family Guy is a little different, more 'real' like classic Simpsons, but with fewer inhibitions.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hRcU_aFpq8s

Oh, God, I love it.

Futurama is GOLD no doubt but The Simpsons is the defining show of our times. The Tick is AMAZING. Family Guy is absolute shit only Stewie and Brian make me laugh, Peter is just fucking ANNOYING, worst Homer rip ever.

I saw this really great YouTube vid that plays all thses classic Simpsons sketeches and then right has all the Family Guy BLATANT rip offs (Marge/Lois gambling addiction) Family Guy steals Simpsons plots and uses them as vehicles for their SOMETIMES funny pop culture references.

Futurama is GOLD no doubt but The Simpsons is the defining show of our times. The Tick is AMAZING. Family is absolute shit only Stewie and Brian make me laugh, Peter is just fucking ANNOYING, worst Homer rip ever.

I saw this really freat YouTube vid that plays all thses classic Simpsons sketeches and then right has all the Family Guy BLATANT rip offs (Marge/Lois gambling addiction) Family Guy steals Simpsons plots and uses them as vehicles for their SOMETIMES funny pop culture references.

But Adam West is sexy. Damn it, you wouldn't understand...

• 2 weeks later...
I saw this really great YouTube vid that plays all thses classic Simpsons sketeches and then right has all the Family Guy BLATANT rip offs (Marge/Lois gambling addiction) Family Guy steals Simpsons plots and uses them as vehicles for their SOMETIMES funny pop culture references.

You mean this:

I voted for the Simpsons, but had He-Man been a choice I think alot would have voted for him.

Well you could've easily voted 'OTHER' too. I couldn't think of all the shows off the top of my head when I first created this thread, hence why I included the 'OTHER' choice, so you could vote for a show I failed to mention.

Archived