Hondo's Bar

Fantastic Four

archangel

• 3 months later...

Fantastic Four And The Future Foundation In November

Marvel are counting down to some kind of Fantastic Four announcement for November.

It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to realise this is the transformation of FF back into Fantastic Four in time for the six hundrdth issue in November.

But I’m also told that the Future Foundation will continue as its own book, too, both to be written by Jonathan Hickman.

It’s a good trick Marvel have done before to split a successful book into two, without the problems of starting a new title with less brand recognition.

But it’s also having your cake, eating it, then X-raying your stomach and framing the results.

FOUR_TEASER-600x900.jpg

FOUR_TEASER2-600x900.jpg

FOUR_TEASER4of5-600x900.jpg

Edited by archangel

Ok, so the Future Foundation stuff has been pretty cool so far, and some big shake ups have been going on in that series

Like the return of Black Bolt and the split of the Inhumans from the Kree Empire

Next month, though, is Fantastic Four #600, and there's no way marvel is going to skip something like THAT. But for that stuff...I started a new thread.

I just love seeing the words posted image where spoilerific images should be. I've been loving the shit out of Future Foundation and despite Sue's relentless assault of feelings it's been great having Reed take the goddamned wheel for a change and do as he was always meant to do. Having Johnny gone brought up the FF's collective IQ about 50 points. Spider-continuity be damned!

I GOT YER BACK BRAH!

Fantastic Four And The Future Foundation In November

Marvel are counting down to some kind of Fantastic Four announcement for November.

It doesn’t take a brain surgeon to realise this is the transformation of FF back into Fantastic Four in time for the six hundrdth issue in November.

But I’m also told that the Future Foundation will continue as its own book, too, both to be written by Jonathan Hickman.

It’s a good trick Marvel have done before to split a successful book into two, without the problems of starting a new title with less brand recognition.

But it’s also having your cake, eating it, then X-raying your stomach and framing the results.

nl74lk.jpg

2zsd6bs.jpg

34470g2.jpg

Ew... Romita Jr. Now I wish they'd remained as scripting errors.

The thing is, Marvel U is chock full of team books and solo books featuring womanising idiots fucking up what could be beautiful science. Admittedly I snoozed a little on the Inhuman stuff, but the Future Foundation for the most part reads a lot like Tom Strong & the Strongmen of America. ANd it's not like Spidey doesn't bring the comic relief to the book, it's just Franklin's taken the role of idiotic and powerful man-child(or in the case where he's age-appropriate) child-child.

Two books though... Best case means Future Foundation will be Reed and his class fucking up the multiverse with rayguns while the FF proper continue the boring juxtaposition of family and women and whatever the fuck else they did for 500-something issues that I mostly wasn't fucked reading.

The way that Torch is colored/textured reminds me of the 1940s android Torch from the Invaders. His 'corpse' showed up in Captain America recently, so maybe Marvel's decided to bring him back.

And this could also be because Romita's a hack.

• 4 months later...

Ambiguous thread title is ambiguous. I only remembered it because Arch linked it in the Fantastic Four No More thread. Maybe I'll add the letters "FF" to the end?

Anyway, someone told me this was good. I think it was JZA, but I'm not so sure. I ran out of things to read today, so I picked the last arc.

It's not bad, but it ended on a goddamn chill and I had to share. Serious #604 spoilers, but well worth it.

BRh3y.jpg

6B3Lxh.jpg

For a Marvel dork, does it even get much more epic than that?

Edited by Thelogan

• 7 months later...

Yuss!

So do y'all think the editorial and writing staff at MARVEL had the idea for the F4 return planned all along and were just waiting for the movie rights to come back to Disney before they put it into motion or is this something they likely came up with after the movie rights were bought back by Disney?

If you don't think the F4 disappearing from the comics had

anything everything to do with the film/TV rights then I have some inexpensive ocean front property in AZ I'm interested in selling you. Hit me up in them PMs, yo

yeah, this had ike perlmutter's greasy handprints  all over it - we lost reed, sue & the kids when 616 collapsed, and the recent 2-in-1 book has clearly been paving the way.  

slott finishing out amazing spidey with back-to-broke-ass-parker selling the baxter building, other books have shown certain cosmic threats right up there alley resurfacing.  it's pretty obvious this was the plan & editorial has been waiting for the greenlight. 

Honestly, the mechanics behind the business end of the F4 going into comic book hiatus interest me almost more than the upcoming plot/storyline for the return of the team.

I don't even attempt to keep up with Marvel or DC monthly any more, so this is the first thing in years that's got me interested enough to buy a Marvel issue off the stands. I just re-read Secret Wars #9 (2016), so let me ask the current regular Marvel readers a few questions:

1. Have Ben & Johnny been around in the 616 since the end of SW2016?

2. Have the Surfer, Doom, Galactus, etc. been absent from the 616 since 2016, too?

3. Why do you think Hickman's not writing the team's return? My guess is SW#9 was his last F4 issue. It read like a farewell to those characters for him. However, as someone who is still (slowly) getting through Hickman's run on F4, I would've liked to have seen him helm their return to the 616. 

1) yeah, there's a current book Marvel 2-in-1 that is just about them

2) yeah, Galactus was a big part of the last volume of Ultimates, Slott just finished a fan-favorite Surfer book

3) Hickman sadly left marvel after finishing Secret War. there's rumors floating that he may return to finish his historical S.H.I.E.L.D. book and god I hope it pans out because nobody did universe building like he did, my opinion 

• 2 months later...

so in the years of their absence, i decided to read much of the best runs of this book - lee/kirby, byrne, waid/weringo, and hickman - and have become such a bigger fan of the team than i was

so you can imagine my excitement at the upcoming return!

• Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 6:42 PM, The NZA said:

so in the years of their absence, i decided to read much of the best runs of this book - lee/kirby, byrne, waid/weringo, and hickman - and have become such a bigger fan of the team than i was

so you can imagine my excitement at the upcoming return!

yaay.gif

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...