Hondo's Bar

console conflick

arc

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

pcs are expensive for other reasons then just gaming for example a pc is used to make a video game also it can be used to edit/compose letters, spreadsheets, photos and if you are so inclined you can even compose a series of documents that illustrate the assembly and components required to create a structure capable of meeting today’s building code

putting all of that aside i still wouldn’t want my entertainment system to do all of that actually i don’t even want it to do any of that instead i would like it to simply run a fun game or two for a moderately low fee

but here’s another point why do we ask for so much from our video game systems but so little of their content why do we want such a power full system when the games it plays are basically the same as the ones previously done in the last system.

Edited by arc

Because we wish to be dazzled by pixels smooth & quick. If you don't find any innovation in gameplay, do me a favour & fork over any console you've aqcuired since the SNES. That baby was the absolute tippy-top of gaming achievement & gameplay/fun/innovation hasn't gotten any better since that. Hell, I remember that thing retailing with Killer Instinct for AU$380 which in 1994 was a lot more money than it is now. And in regards to PCs, gamers don't use any other shit on their PCs anyways. Hell, If I knew my way around the damned thing I'd prolly delete the MSOffice pack to make room for BFME.

Now go play Mario Kart for SNES, then play it on 64. You tell me why we demand power & speed from our consoles.

None, really. I'm just saying that technology can be used for gameplay/fun too. A game like Goldeneye would never have been as much fun on a Doom 1 engine. And while Mario Kart was fun as hell, I thought the 64 version was more fun, and alot of that had to do with the better technology. You need fast processing for a fast moving cartoonish racer. Also, if the processing power of the Wii allowed for really huge online kart games (128 players on on huge track...think about it...), technology will have allowed for something on that 'fun' level that wasn't possible on the 16 bit version.

Speaking of online Kart, any word on whether the DS online Kart is any good? I don't know how racing will be witht eh Wii controller, but with Miyamoto there, it's can't be anything but good.

Yeah but I mean shit... width.

Even Bathurst has maybe 40 drivers tops on it's track & it's pretty damned crowded. Players won't be able to do shit without tripping over someone else, and leaderboards'll be meaningless with such flooding...

I don't mean to bitch of course, just marvelling.

wow 128 online players all racing at the same time on the same track is that anything like playing against 128 computer controlled racers i guess not because they are real people right i mean you can’t really see them but at least you can send each other pictures showing off your racing moves and style you could also talk on the phone while you play whispering things like who’s your mario kart daddy and you’re the man and where would i be without you and what do you mean and i mean its your support that has lifted me into the stratospheres of mario kartdom and i i i just don’t what to think any more and just listen to your heart skeeter my little mosquito and o jack you always know just how to touch me even if we are miles and miles away and why am i so so alone why am i so so so lonely

aside to the people still with me "sounds like fun but its not for me"

128 players online, that boggles the mind!

Well on the upside, you can have real-time NASCAR games with all 43 cars being controlled by real people, that should be interesting.

Or you can have an NFL or an NBA game where each player on each team is controlled by one person online. Talk about teamwork!

There's so many possibilities for all sorts of games that can be played online like that.

talk about boring jeez man we’re cool and everything but could you imagine how long you can go in a football game without even touching the ball of course i’m talking about in a real football game a receiver can go without even getting a chance once all game long yep that sounds like fun look at me running my patterns for 2hrs without even being considered by that pompous quarter back weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

And being one fo the blockers is bound to be as fun as painting grass and watching it dry as it grows. Basketball might be more fun. What abotu 128 player Smash Brothers? Or a historical war game liek Sparticus or Braveheart? Every mooning scotsmanon the feild played by an individual player? Imagine an X-Box 360 Live adaptation of Frank Miller's 300 movie!

the wii seems interesting it truly does but never the less i would like to consolidate my systems into one i would like to play some of my childhood favorites from nintendo on the system that they should have evolved into

cmon, you couldnt have a genesis/SNES/turbo back inna day, you cant have one now. that's capitalism.

aside from that i do worry about the pricing of video game systems it isn’t logical it isn’t even smart the $600.oo price tag that the ps3 has just won’t last and i suspect/hope that they take a heavy hit for attempting to do us the consumer wrong when the president of sony entertainment spews out nonsense like “i want people to work more just to buy our new system” then i think its time that they/he are/is humbled the price has already dropped in japan by $100.oo since its release and all signs point to an even more dramatic fall to come

i agree, but with what's under the hood & how much Sony already loses on it by selling it at $600/unit (bishop's better at this game than i am) i just dont know how/when to expect a drop, but a $100 is way more realistic than thinking its gonna be halved.

in addition the monopoly that would be created by a two system market would only be as strong or as expansive as the consumer allows it to be

You think so? consider this: cartridges had gone up to as high as $80 at one point, for me. CD/DVD games have averaged at wha, $40-50? Lookit the 360 lineup: damn near every game ive seen starts at $60, and i hear complaints here & there but its not hurting sales one bit from what ive seen.

my advise for anyone that would care to listen would be to got out a little while from now after you finish reading my advise and buy $100.oo worth of used games for the ps2 if you’re a wise consumer and you look for the buy two get one free deals as well as the $10.00 bin you should make it out with at least ten solid games these games should be more than enough to wait out the first year’s price drop or you know what take that $100.oo and buy a lot of books i recommend looking into the classics like narnia through the looking glass lord of the rings sir giles of ham or there are the instant classics like the harry potters and the tales of unfortunate events or you can even send me some money as an advanced sale for the book i’m putting together for 2011 and there is always the Bible which is also a great book that will give you days and months worth of entertainment as and if you read carefully maybe you’ll walk away enlightened.

couldnt agree more: ive enough unfinished PS2 titles to tide me over for the next year or so, and theyre quality games at that. Again, im in no hurry to jump on the next-gen bandwagon, tho i do fancy a Wii sometime in '07.

I also second arc on the PC analogy: computers are built for shit entirely different than consoles, and even then, theyre cheaper than ever these days. Plus, im one of the "i want my console to play games, dammit" crowd too. I dont care if it can vulcanize my tires.

wow 128 online players all racing at the same time on the same track is that anything like playing against 128 computer controlled racers i guess not because they are real people right i mean you can’t really see them but at least you can send each other pictures showing off your racing moves and style you could also talk on the phone while you play whispering things like who’s your mario kart daddy and you’re the man and where would i be without you and what do you mean and i mean its your support that has lifted me into the stratospheres of mario kartdom and i i i just don’t what to think any more and just listen to your heart skeeter my little mosquito and o jack you always know just how to touch me even if we are miles and miles away and why am i so so alone why am i so so so lonely

aside to the people still with me "sounds like fun but its not for me"

haha you sound like an old man.

if the prospect of karting with 120+ others honeslty doesnt excite you (2 player co-op along the way, too!) then i dont know what to say, but mocking the sports idea too...man, youve got to be able to see the possibilities here. Just think about some of your favorite multiplayer titles, fighting games/shooting etc and think about having tons of people join in.

This prolly isnt as effective on you cause from what ive seen of your lineup - like myself - most of your games are 1-player, but regardless the option's a cool one. Me, im looking forward to offline multiplayer like Wario Ware's craziness.