Hondo's Bar

Halo 3

MusicManiac

Holy fuck. Bioshock was off the fucking hook! I want these guys to do more shit! You hate it, DoJ?

I don't hate it, i just don't like it given i felt it was too much of system shock and not enough its own game... I never got a proper feel for it to be honest.

(sorry about the horridly late reply to this, first time i've seen it)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Over the weekend, the ONE BILLIONTH game of halo 3 was played. It was of the infection gametype and lasted around 3 minutes and 19 seconds. Lets assume all billion games were that long (They can certainly run longer!):

wow.JPG

Collectively, that just a smidge over 63 centuries spent playing that game. Imagine if we put a fraction of that time into something productive!

• 8 months later...

ok, so...years after the hype/backlash....yeah, i knew going in this really wasnt for me, but damn.

i should preface this by saying 1) i played/saw spiffy beat part 1, skipped on most of 2. 2) i only played the single player, and that's said to be the weakest portion of the game - ive no doubt co-op is a blast (RE5 for instance was a whole different game for me than for most who played it solo), matchmaking is no doubt awesome and again, the Forge is a long overdue idea for console shooters that i hear/read was done quite well.

but damn, that single player needed work.

+:

-Wash's voiceovers.

-Boss fights - the Scarab ones specifically, made me feel like a badass.

-Most of the better weapons from the series are here.

-Enemy AI, as ever, feels dynamic - replaying certain areas showed this, as theyd kinda switch up tactics here & there. felt more set than i recall in part 1 (and years later, Killzone 2 kinda stressed this).

-:

-holy shit, NPC AI is retarded. theyd drive straight into death-beams and right off cliffs (unprovoked) way too often, or just glitch and stay running into a wall. jesus.

-i really dont expect great stories from FPS or layered characters - i still dont get why Gordon Freeman's so loved, but im holing off to finally play part 1 and see if i missed something - but the plot was kinda...eh. again, i skipped 2 so i dont expect to catch every nuance/shout-out to the fans, but considering a few friends've said theyve actually read Halo novels about Master Chief, i had really hoped there was more to the guy than the stereotype, and...there's really not. Again, this isnt me saying nathan hale (resistance) or nameless "i-aint-got-time-to-bleed" dude from killzone were interesting, just that i was led to believe id know more about space marine (x) than his name and how big his balls are. and i dont.

-reminiscent of part 1, the later levels feel like...well:

215142996_22jgm-L-2.jpg

...seriously, when the final stretch is just a giant spamming-fest (...), and that's refreshing, something went kinda wrong. i had to sit there way too often waiting for the little arrow to say where i was supposed to go for a stretch, like i was stuck in a throwaway Alien Syndrome stage.

-are wonky vehicle physics a staple of the series, like bad walking/running was in old-school Resident Evil/Silent Hill games? Am i "not getting it" by critiquing them? cause holy shit, the warthog is not a joy to drive. i kept wanting to just sit on the cannon (way more fun) but then its a crapshot if im riding shotgun with some motherfucker who's tired of life.

again, happy for the fans and all, but looking back, any 10's - especially the ones admitting the single player campaing's issues - were bullshit, unless you're of the school that "10 does not mean perfect", in which case, its still a hard sell.

Archived