Hondo's Bar

Beowulf

Acalis

I watched this a few weeks ago but haven't posted about it cause I'm lazy. Moving along.

Firstly, I can tell that Gaiman worked on this. There is a detail to Grendel that was prevalent in one of his short stories regarding Shadow and something similar. At first, I couldn't believe that he'd reused it, but on the other hand, it provided a plausible plot device. I didn't get the same sense of otherworldliness that I did from Mirrormask, but it was still an interesting movie.

Secondly, I enjoyed the way they incorporated historical fact and the way the story flowed better. In the poem, if memory serves, the dragon at the end of his life, was not connected to Grendel at all. In many ways, it felt as if that was simply tacked on. As in: Oh yeah, I forgot this one thing that happened... It flowed better in the movie.

I think, ultimately, I prefer Beowulf and Grendel (the live action with Gerard Butler) more. Though, I didn't find this to be a bad film. I enjoyed it.

Well, no. The dragon wasn't connected to Grendel or his mother in the original story. Interesting interpretation, though. Follows the fatal flaw of the hero well, and makes the monsters more interesting (I liked how they kinda Lilithfied Grendel's mother).

Ray Winstone was fucking terrible in that movie. "Oim 'ere ta kill your monsta'!"

that was dead on man, I didnt like him much but the movie wasnt so bad.

...that whole scene was kinda off... one guard on a horse running up to the ship full of quasi-vikings armed to the teeth... 'one' guard with a american gladiator jousting stick (ok so it had an arrow on it) but still, "halt who goes there." "Uhm, wee germans with not so wee weapons who out number you 10 to 1..." If it were me, I wouldnt have even answered that lone ranger wannabe, I woulda beheaded his ass the second he was in range and bowled it to the kings throne with a post it note reading "Oim 'ere a kill yer monsta, and have wonderous unprotected sex with the hot tenticle octipussy bitch from the sea" well ok so the post it notes were more like post it scrolls back then, but you get the picture.

Oh and damn, grendel was one nasty son of a jolie. That is why brad pitt opted for adoption. That warbeling/rippling shit with his ear when they were singing... wanted to make me jab the worlds largest q-tip in it and twist that bad boy til a fire started.

Is ear wax flammable?

drenched in gasoline?

:2T: you know, i went to see in 3-d and the only good thing about it was the 3-d. maybe its just the story. i never read the poem, but god i felt like the story was ....... horid. one thing the movie did introduce was the future of film. within fifty years CG will look so real, hollywood wont need live actors anymore. which is great, im sick of seeing all these gossip magazines over running our magazines stands rather than more improtant titles such as..... wizard for instance :love:

Mnnnnnn.... I'd argue Wizard's relevance and/or standing in our lovely little comic-geek subculture, nut that's rpolly an arguement for a different thread. I guarantee you if actors/actresses are made obselete by CGI the tabloids'll still make a mint because the public(great stupid cashcow that it/we is/are) wants demigods and the like to watch. Greek mythology(or earlier- this is where Ly's smartarsery will come in handy) was as I see it the earliest form of soap opera, and that's how these hollywood scumfucks make their fortune. There was a movie or story I read about a CGI celebrity(simone? did that have Pacino?) who gets corrupted and blah-dee-blah. Point is folks'll make a story out of anything for entertainment, is the nature of the business.

Didn't dig it. At all. I guess they only had poetry to work with, but rendering Grendel as

one of the extras from the hills have eyes

was a real letdown, and for my money

dragons

have never really done anything for me as a monster either. Beowulf was a great big c-word, Digital Jolie was hot though.

Archived