Hondo's Bar

Street Fighter IV

C_U_SPACECOWBOY

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. Didn't know that. Most games opt for gore on/off, DOA had jiggle On/off.

Well it helps that the guy who designed it is nutty as a shit house rat. Every interview I've seen him in he rambles on about things that make no sense. He compared Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Vollyeball to a sushi bar with girls on rollerskates.

exactly. i understand the tekken vs VF fight, but DOA always struck me as "there's no real fighters out right now, so why not?" series, personally.

but all 3 of those franchises can wait in line with KI, MK and all the others after SF IV. Can anyone here say they felt SFII Turbo/Super/etc got dethroned?

No but they followed it up with a bunch of shitty games, their gameplay hasn't seemed right through the rest of the series I even felt all 15 versions of Street Fighter 3 sucked. To me the big standout fighting games over the years have been Street Fighter 2, Killer Instinct (which abrutly died), Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 (though I might be persuaded to toss in Armageddon as well), the entire Soul Calibur/Blade/Fallafel series (mostly because I suck at fighting games and I can rule the world with Nightmare/Siegfried in that one), Super Smash Bros. (though it's less of a fighting game and more of a button masher), Tekken and subsequent sequels (though 4 was a little bland and it didn't have a satisfying final boss), and the Marvel vs. Capcom series (or any of the Capcom fighting games that involved Marvel characters for that matter.)

I don't like Virtua Fighter, but that's mostly because I suck at fighting games and they require real skill which I just don't got.

I'm still skeptical about Street Fighter 4, I doubt it'll be anything special in comparison to previous titles. But who knows, maybe they'll surprise me and bring back the fun I used to have pumping quarters into an old piece of junk machine while wearing bowling shoes or roller blades as a kid.

Heh, nice rant. Since I'm a huge fighting game enthusiast, I'll throw in my two cents. First of, Baytor, you're breaking my heart. Street Fighter 3: Third Strike is possibly my favorite fighting game of all time (Capcom Vs SNK 2 is a close second). KI (from what I'm hearing) is making a return. MK died for me after UMK3 (though 3 was very hard to swallow). The Soul Series is great because its a game anyone can jump into and play (This is something that most fighting games lack. The ability to pull in players that are complete novices and have fun with a veteran. And I feel this is the reason why games like SF, KoF, Tekken, MvC and to some extent VF cant bring in HUGE crowds). /rant

Back to the subject, Um...I'm almost certain it wont be the hit the Producer of the game is expecting. Thus far, the news I'm getting about this game is that the engine is suppose to be more novice friendly (Easier ways to activate special events and more lee-way to pull off the typical SF move [shoryuken]). The problem is that anyone who has played fighting games for as long as I have WILL find a way to always have the upper hand. So I totally understand your skepticism. Like you, i doubt it will be anything special. But indeed, who knows.

aw, screw youse both, i hope its crazy special!

I just want it to be fun and badass like SF II was, and everybody was on board. if the hype train helps bring this one to that level - even if its not exactly as well executed as some of the titles Los mentioned - i think ill be happy.

id also add that i wrote Smash Bros off as an awesome, party button-masher too, but Los & his crew have shown me otherwise. if there's a barbie playhouse fighting game, somewhere, someone's broken it to pieces and is making it unplayable for novices.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mean to sound like a hater. HELL, I'M MR. STREET FIGHTER. I love the series to death (i bought a limited edition Chun-li figure not too long ago). Thing is I don't think its going to be so big, but I am hoping many come to enjoy it and prove my wrong. I would honestly love that.

Heh, nice rant. Since I'm a huge fighting game enthusiast, I'll throw in my two cents. First of, Baytor, you're breaking my heart. Street Fighter 3: Third Strike is possibly my favorite fighting game of all time (Capcom Vs SNK 2 is a close second). KI (from what I'm hearing) is making a return. MK died to me after UMK3 (though 3 was very hard to swallow for me). The Soul Series is great because its a game anyone can jump into and play (This is something that most fighting games lack. The ability to pull in players that are complete novices and have fun with a veteran. And I feel this is the reason why games like SF, KoF, Tekken, MvC and to some extent VF cant bring in HUGE crowds). /rant

Back to the subject, Um...I'm almost certain it wont be the hit the Producer of the game is expecting. Thus far, the news I'm getting about this game is that the engine is suppose to be more novice friendly (Easier ways to activate special events and more lee-way to pull off the typical SF move [shoryuken]). The problem is that anyone who has played fighting games for as long as I have WILL find a way to always have the upper hand. So I totally understand your skepticism. Like you, i doubt it will be anything special. But indeed, who knows.

To each their own a lot of people were crazy about it but I found the play style harder and just less fun and Street Fighter was always my go back title. I could suck up all over the place in Virtua Fighter but in Street Fighter they put in Dhalsim for poor saps like me that suck at fighting games. Plus none of the charcters from 3rd strike really caught on. I think Akuma, Sakura, and Dan (and Dan is literally a joke, so I hardly count him)

aw, screw youse both, i hope its crazy special!

I just want it to be fun and badass like SF II was, and everybody was on board. if the hype train helps bring this one to that level - even if its not exactly as well executed as some of the titles Los mentioned - i think ill be happy.

id also add that i wrote Smash Bros off as an awesome, party button-masher too, but Los & his crew have shown me otherwise. if there's a barbie playhouse fighting game, somewhere, someone's broken it to pieces and is making it unplayable for novices.

The fact is Street Fighter 2 is one of those games like Mortal Kombat that just can't be done again. They were simplicity and near perfection and then they added in a fuckton more characters and 10 years later we've got Zombie Liu Kang and some guy dressed as a skeleton, it's hard to come back from that.

Plus Capcom hasn't been on the hit parade as of late, they axed their innovative team (apparently taking LucasArts' strategy of "let's get rid of all the people that make new and interesting games and run our popular series' into the ground) I mean I loved Resident Evil 4 but they're already looking to run that one into the ground with Resident Evil 5 and have you seen the state of the Megaman series lately? This is not the same company that made fun and innovative titles like Strider and Captain Commando. This is the company that's remade Resident Evil 1 twice!

I don't think it will be a disaster. It will be fun, but they're trying to emulate the success of Street Fighter 2, and in the history of Capcom when they try to make lightning strike twice it causes nothing but shattered spirits and broken dreams.

And it's the same with Soul Calibur. There's always somebody who manages to decipher how the fuck to make Voldo do the same move twice in a row by pushing the same buttons and once they master Voldo they just beat you like a naughty puppy.

• 3 months later...

Man, no chance a new fighting game gets arcade release first these days, so I don't know why I was surprised to here the preorder thing at the end. Nowadays, if a fighting game gets announced as being released to arcade first, it gets laughed outta the room. Don't know why I'm nostalgic bout this now, back in the day, I hated that I got games months, if not over a year, after arcade release, with worse graphics to boot.

It IS getting an arcade release first. The home version will have more characters, which is cool I'm kinda disappointed in the roster. Where the FUCK is Cammy? Seriously, I thought they said they needed more women and this wouldn't be as male dominated as it used to be. Ah well, at least we have the KoF-alike crimson viper.

Of course trying to find an arcade with a fighting game nowadays is an exercise in futility, before Drifter's wedding a bunch of us hit a dave and busters, and there was nothing but driving and gun games. That's it, not even SFII for the classicists. Oh and 1 machine of DDR.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like Sf I V actually has a storyline that seems decent. Hell it looks better than any of the anime for the series that have ever been presented. But it has something far, far more important.

SAKURA and DAN!!!!!!!!

Kinda pissed that Sakura looks the same when she should be well out of high school, but whatever. Not to mention it looks like they are keeping all the original music for the characters. Ryu's theme sounds BADASS in the trailer, and Sakura's theme from her intro trailer is also amazing.

I am really getting psyched for this game!!

Well, since we're on the subject of story, I actually can't wait to see how they're going to explain so many loopholes. Since they announced the bosses, I thought that there would only be three of them. Bison is supposed to be dead after ST (Super street fighter II Turbo). The fact that this game takes place after II and before III also brings into light another question. What the hell is Gouken going there? He died sometime after SF I and before the Alpha series. So I'm think, "What gives?"

And then there's Sakura.... As Bish pointed out, she is still in her teens in the game. This is also said to be true according to Capcom. Somehow she is still in High School:

sakura2eu0.jpg

But in the SFIV timeline, she's suppose to be a gym teacher in a high school:

sakuraganban01sa0.jpg

After drawing countless iterations of Sakura in her mid-twenties (me and a ton of other people at the capcom-unity forum), we saw no change. However, I'd like to think that alot of us at the Capcom forum were a big reason why she made a return. So for that I'm happy. But I can't wait to see how they explain it all. If they don't, may it be a decent story regardless of loopholes. :\

Man, Liu Kang died in like Mortal Kombat 3 but appeared alive and well in Mortal Kombat Deception. There are fighters currently in the Tekken tournament that should be in their mid-60s but are still as young as other characters. Fighting games have, at best, a loose sense of continuity.

Man, Liu Kang died in like Mortal Kombat 3 but appeared alive and well in Mortal Kombat Deception. There are fighters currently in the Tekken tournament that should be in their mid-60s but are still as young as other characters. Fighting games have, at best, a loose sense of continuity.

True. Liu Kang did die. But it was explained why he's back. If I remember correctly, Raiden had to self destruct to kill that boss in Deadly Alliance but then later reformed himself. However his reformation didn't go too well and was a bit on the corrupt side. And one of the things he did is bring back Zombie Liu and made him kill all his monk homies. See...not the greatest explanation, but at least there is one.

As for Tekken, at least they age numerically on their stat sheet. Buy hey, Japan like to keeps their characters young for the camera...or game. I guess they're shallow like that. Anyway, some characters like Anna and Nina Williams should be in their 50's, but they look like hot 20 somethings. NAMCO's answer: suspended animation. Yes, they were cryogenically frozen preserving their hotness. You can even see that in the opening movie clip in Tekken 3 where Nina comes out of her cryo chamber.

Anyway, I'm just on a rant because I'm stupid about Street Fighter. That's all. Heh, luckily you mentioned games I kinda knew some backstory to. But yeah, most fighting games have terrible continuity...just wished SF wasn't one of them. Oh wells. :\

KOF has had pretty decent continuity too. On the bright side, in the game at least Sakura looks to be in her 20s, maybe she's in her Schoolgirl outfit for the same reasons that no one else's outfit has changed. Iconic nostalgia.

What manga is that 2nd one btw?

King of Fighters does have decent continuity indeed. Love that series too. I wish they made a whole show telling the story. KoF: Another Day wasn't really all that great though. As for the costumes, I can totally respect the iconic nostalgia. But in major timeshifts like the Alpha series, Chun-li costume, Ryu's bandanna, Ken's long hair changed. And in this outing, Sakura is the only character that has to have that kind of change. But hey, if they say that she likes fighting in her old school uniform, it would be a reason. A dumb one, but a reason none-the-less.

Oh and as for the manga, both pages are taken from the Sakura Gambaru! manga. If any of you is a die-hard Street Fighter fan, I suggest you read it. It basically tells the story of Sakura and her passion to become a great fighter like Ryu. Its a pretty good read. I got both volumes at buy.com for $15.

Let me throw out a little trivia: There is a character created in this manga that was never in a street fighter game. She became so popular that Capcom eventually put her in their next Street Fighter game at the time. She is the only character not created by a Capcom employee and she is:

[large][AnimePaper]scans_Street-Fighter_8943d6(0.66)__THISRES__155010.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

i see everyone else is quietly practicing some of those HD combos. fair enough.

legit-looking screenshot of SF IV's character selection, possibly revealing the full lineup (unless any are hidden?). Im sad about the lack of Guy, and some might miss T.Hawk (...) and Dee Jay, but speculation has it that's Rose in the bottom corner.

sf4rose.jpg

Archived