Hondo's Bar

Street Fighter IV

C_U_SPACECOWBOY

Just came back from playing it and I have to say that right in this moment, this is the definite fighter.

Basically, it boils down to this:

It plays pretty much like the 2D games, 'cept that pixels don't seem to be a priority (that's what I hear from pro players); still, there are some details that many of us will be missing from SFIII (my biggest problem with this is that Ken's 'hammer kick' isn't as effective as it used to be - but that's just me).

Still, this game made me officially HATE the 360 controller - I can't use the pad, so I moved on to the stick and I kept on pressing the 360 button by accident. My fingers are too long to use that controller the way I'm used to play.

If you're in need of a good fighter, please get this.

PS: Seth isn't as though as everyone is saying (at least not on Hard).

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ive only gotten to see people pay it so far, looked good.

Skeet: really? there were 6 buttons, with varying levels of speed/strength for punches and kicks. it operated in 2D, and had limited special moves with no fatalities and it took people a long time to pull off good combos. compared to 3D fighters now, SFII comes off way more accessible, why would you say otherwise?

I've played many varied versions of SF2 overthe years, starting with the original on SNES back in 92. For a little while I experienced a modicum of sucess with Dhalsim, and despite understanding the theory of special moves and being able to execute said moves, combos have always eluded me and that's how little bunny got proper fucked/ SF2 makes me feel like the last boy on Earth without a lollypop.

ima be honest; i didnt know there were combos for years. the advanced ones shown in that video i put up in the HD remix thread, ive never seen before. shit's crazy.

then again, you were using fucking Dhalsim, man. that's some advanced shit, i never got good with him.

Once again. Fucking trainer?

Only training mode I can think of is the Challenge mode's "Trial" section, which make you practice the basic move and hit combos in order to pass. There might be another one, though... I'm not really sure. Most of my time has been on a friend's copy.

yeah, im running through challenge mode this week as soon as seth's unlocked. skeet - Space Cowboy & others have assured me, its not the trainer id hoped for, sad the curve is more like a wall that mocks you. as ever, i think practice in versus mode is gonna have to do it.

the curve is more like a wall that mocks you.

It mocks you hard. Often times, it asks that you input the next attack in a sequence before the attack you're trying to chain it to even hits. There was this one combo for Rose that asked me to do a jumping HK, ground HP, and then link the punch into a HCF LP and the HCF into QCFQCF P. I couldn't do it, I just couldn't... they wanted me to input HCF before the ground HP had connected, and they wanted me to input the super before the special connected.

It hurt my thumbs so I stopped.

Only training mode I can think of is the Challenge mode's "Trial" section, which make you practice the basic move and hit combos in order to pass. There might be another one, though... I'm not really sure. Most of my time has been on a friend's copy.

that's what I was looking for. Thanks. Ryu's pretty fucking insistent that down to right twice, then punchx3 is a metsu Hadoken, but the trial mode seems sure it's just a regular old down to right twice, punch once hadoken(I forget what it's called).

I had a problem with Chun-Li's challenge. A stupid fierce kick followed by the buncha crazy fast kicks (or ya ta ta's as I like to call 'em). I just couldn't get it either! I was there for a while and had managed to do it, but it didn't register... I don't know. I quit after a while.

I had a problem with Chun-Li's challenge. A stupid fierce kick followed by the buncha crazy fast kicks (or ya ta ta's as I like to call 'em). I just couldn't get it either! I was there for a while and had managed to do it, but it didn't register... I don't know. I quit after a while.

Yeah, that one took a while to get the rhythym the challenge wanted. CViper has a challenge that wants you to do a HK into a super, and there's a way you can do it by entering the 2xQCF before the kick, and then the punch, that does the hits in the right order - but that's not what they want, they want you to input 2xQCF P in the space of time between when you press the attack button and you hit him.

Props to the people capable of some of this shit.

i saw a ton o demos for this game... cant wait 2 start rapi.. i mean.. defeating challengers from all places ^^; they havent changed da combo system.. so if you know how to 3hit dizzy some1 in sf2 the same type o combos apply (notice for you beginner folk) mmmmhm...

I wish arcade machines would make a comback in da US :'/

cant wait 2 start rapi.. i mean.. defeating challengers from all places ^^; they havent changed da combo system.. so if you know how to 3hit dizzy some1 in sf2 the same type o combos apply (notice for you beginner folk) mmmmhm...

Oh man, are you in for a surprise...

Yeah, that one took a while to get the rhythym the challenge wanted. CViper has a challenge that wants you to do a HK into a super, and there's a way you can do it by entering the 2xQCF before the kick, and then the punch, that does the hits in the right order - but that's not what they want, they want you to input 2xQCF P in the space of time between when you press the attack button and you hit him.

Props to the people capable of some of this shit.

Ryu had one like that too, it made me want to cry, even on a stick. Took me forever.

As for the Rose one you were talking about earlier though, technically the HCF should do the first half of the QCFx2 for you, so it SHOULD go HCF,p,QCF,p in order to get it to do both.

Still trying to beat the 2nd or third hard one with Ryu.

Oh man, are you in for a surprise...

/strongly seconded.

i spent part of today being educated by Los & his insane, tournament-level cousin, and while its not as technical as i understand 3 was, if you're thinking SFII vets (especially from before there were supers & such) can walk right in, check out the practice mode. you dont even need to challenge a hard tier.

was playing online for a bit today, this is what happens to you when you're not ready.

im so getting a stick, and its largely this game's fault.

This SF III fight is legendary. im sure most of you fighting fans have seen it a thousand times, but for those that havent & want to see the greatest comeback, watch to about 2:30.

...parried every hit!!

ps deadpool.

1236341193.jpg

/strongly seconded.

im so getting a stick, and its largely this game's fault.

mr nick.. infinite combos have been in existance in capcom FOREVER.. every capcom game pretty much has'em. nothing new..

example1 (mad old game: xmen cota

example#2 (not so old but still ridiculous):sfa2

as for the combo system: very little has changed since sf3.. my fav character was dudley simply because he was one of the only characters with actual linkerz (and it totally went against the normal system).. stick to fundamentals and youll survive.. moves overiding different types of moves have never changed (ie: dragon punch vs hadoken)

trust me.. go to a tourny and all the fun-juice is sucked rite outta the game... ill play in tournys only if theres 1 happening once i fly home but not worth learning..

pppppppppps why not learn to parry instead of block? (that system changed with every version btw)... that sf3 vid hella good fite

This SF III fight is legendary. im sure most of you fighting fans have seen it a thousand times, but for those that havent & want to see the greatest comeback, watch to about 2:30.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

...parried every hit!!

The thing that makes that comeback so fucking amazing (besides the obvious) that a lot of people don't realize is that you can't parry that attack as a reaction. If you see the super flash and then try to parry, you're already too late and you will die. This means Ken was parrying that super before Chun-Li did it. That's some amazing shit.

yea.. indeed parrying is indeed what a true block should be allowing u to counter.. the only game to get close iz the parrying in the vs series.. but yea once u hit a pt in ur life where all u want to do is "get really good at the newest streetfighter so u can beat da snot outta all ur friends" you will have nothing better to do but to ge tthe timing down.. its easier than it lookz i promise.. in the 1st 2 sf3s however it was hella harder x_X

mr nick.. infinite combos have been in existance in capcom FOREVER.. every capcom game pretty much has'em. nothing new..

example1 (mad old game: xmen cota

example#2 (not so old but still ridiculous):sfa2

as for the combo system: very little has changed since sf3.. my fav character was dudley simply because he was one of the only characters with actual linkerz (and it totally went against the normal system).. stick to fundamentals and youll survive.. moves overiding different types of moves have never changed (ie: dragon punch vs hadoken)

trust me.. go to a tourny and all the fun-juice is sucked rite outta the game... ill play in tournys only if theres 1 happening once i fly home but not worth learning..

yeah, but SF IV, i thought, put more effort into balancing the older characters, Zangief's spinning lariat aside. To see it broken that quick was something, but then again, HD remix added a lot of good balances and that shit got broken in its beta stages.

ive really gotta get sen/los' cousin on here sometime.

haha, and yeah man, i agree about tourney level shit not being as fun for me, but im not gonna sit here & pretend anyway can play on that level. its a skill that takes a ton of effort.

Archived