Hondo's Bar

Sweeney Todd

TulipO

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Moulin Rouge (one of my top 20 films of all time), Singing In The Rain, The Wizard of Oz, The King and I, The Sound of Music, Rocky Horror Picture Show, West Side Story, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, Jesus Christ Superstar, The Blues Brothers, Little Shop of Horrors....

I didn't care for it, but alot of people seem to think grease is one of the greatest films ever made.

My Fair Lady should be on that list, Lyso is Phantom of the Opera (the original, not this god awful parody that was put forth recently), Les Miserables, and Rent.

Nope. Team America, which is as close as I'm getting. Come to that, Did Judd Winnick write that though? He just fucking loves to give every character he writes aids.

Also some pretty decent choices (some more so than others).

• 5 weeks later...

Just caught this last night. For the first twenty to thirty minutes i wanted to leave and go get a ticket for Cloverfield but once my bias against musicals was worn down i actually quite liked it. I know you've been saying that you judge it as a movie that just happens to be a musical but im sorry i just seriously dont like musicals. So for me to say i liked this is a big deal.

Had a good bit of gore to keep the guy in me entertained and some of the songs had a dark edge to them which i found interesting. So i beseech the non-musical people like me out there to just give this a chance. You wont regret it.

PS Johnny Depp may be hot and all that shit but the guy couldnt hit a note with a baseball bat. You could tell they pro tools'd him up in the voice department.

• 5 months later...

My love of musicals has spanned to pretty much Blues Brothers, Little Shop of Horrors, and Reefer Madness but this looks

like a musical even people who hate musicals will like. (Technically it's a "rock opera" but that's just a term that was invented by insecure men to justify their love of Jesus Christ Superstar to their friends)

Behold REPO! The Genetic Opera: Starring Paul Sorvino, Bill Moseley, Anthony Stewart Head, Alexa Vega, Sarah Brightman, and Paris Hilton

Sad.

By their name I can only assume their fantasy/black metal or an outlet program for stray dogs. I'll look them up some time but a lot of metal doesn't appeal to me. (And thanks to your YTMDing any chance I ever had to get into Rammstein is gone as now anytime I hear them I'll just shout out "LUNCHTIME!" and giggle like a bitch... seriously I could go on like that for years)

I never did post in this thread which is a shame since I enjoyed Sweeney Todd so much. Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter are both delicious eye candy and wonderful actors. They did a decent job capturing the darkness of Sweeney Todd, as did Tim Burton. That being said, they failed the capture the humor that George Hearn and Patti LuPone brought to the stage. Not to mention the fact, they can't sing for beans. And just to clarify, I'm speaking of the later performances done by LuPone and Hearn, both as older singers. They're voices have matured and they both have a better grasp of their roles.

the music got repititive and I found it annoying. I loved the costumes and the charecters and everything, I mean I really really really wanted to like this movie (i love musicals!) but the song where the kid (can't even remember his name haha) and girlfriend charecter (can't remember hers either) started singing about how much they cared for each other over...and over... and over... I had to switch it off before i threw the t.v. out of the window.

oh yeah, and Depp has a horrid voice. HORRID I SAY!

the music got repititive and I found it annoying. I loved the costumes and the charecters and everything, I mean I really really really wanted to like this movie (i love musicals!) but the song where the kid (can't even remember his name haha) and girlfriend charecter (can't remember hers either) started singing about how much they cared for each other over...and over... and over... I had to switch it off before i threw the t.v. out of the window.

But...but that isn't even what they were really singing about! :(

I actually preferred Depp and Carter to the stage voices that I've seen and heard. It's one thing to perform it on stage, but to bring that kind of power and energy and trained talent to the singing in closeup on a big screen makes it too much. They kept it grittier, less polished, more real. I think it helped keep the characters more believable even though they were singing everything. It's just a personal preference, but to me it's the difference between watching a movie in which the characters sing and watching a movie in which singers are playing characters.

I could maybe see keeping things grittier...but, I dunno, I don't think Carter or Depp had that 'gritty' feel. Their voices were just sort of mediocre. I didn't get the same anguish and sense of emotion from the movie. Gritty to me would have been cracked, warbling voices. That being said, I want to reiterate that I did not hate the movie. I enjoyed it, but for vastly different reasons than I enjoyed the stage version.

Archived