Hondo's Bar

Achievements

Da Cap'n

i dont think john or anyone here can pull off Little Rocket Man in Half-Life 2. id be willing to put $5 to see it done legit.

You know, I'd been meaning to go back and get that bitch.The die is cast....it's on. I'm already spending that five bucks Nick!

Space has quite a bit in Family Fun Time Shit

170. I have 170 points in Family Fun Time Nick. It represents a whopping 0.76% of my gamerscore and falling I might add. And it's not boosting, I legitimatly bought that game because my friend Richard wouldn't stop bitching about how it was fun and he didn't have anyone to play with. I subsequently whooped his ass in a little battleship!

And what's up with this PC achievements going on your Xbox live profile bullshit!? I saw Bishop Cruz playing Dawn of War II the other day. I call foul! I say we institute a moratorium of Bishop's DoW II achievements until such time that the game is released on 360!!!

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I'd been meaning to go back and get that bitch.The die is cast....it's on. I'm already spending that five bucks Nick!

hah, so bold! we'll see when its public, sir. ive got nearly a full list of some skilled kotakuites that dont have that one. and again, once you're caught up to where im headed, achievement-wise, i think we should start challenging each other on these specific ones. you saw how trueachievements does it, its cool to try different systems like that, but for real bragging rights, i think we should go for crazy ones.

170. I have 170 points in Family Fun Time Nick. It represents a whopping 0.76% of my gamerscore and falling I might add. And it's not boosting, I legitimatly bought that game because my friend Richard wouldn't stop bitching about how it was fun and he didn't have anyone to play with. I subsequently whooped his ass in a little battleship!

ah, the delicious sound of rationalizing

no doubt! did i mention my little cousin had wanted to play avatar? if you'll refer to my memoirs, youll see its all very across the board.

And what's up with this PC achievements going on your Xbox live profile bullshit!? I saw Bishop Cruz playing Dawn of War II the other day. I call foul! I say we institute a moratorium of Bishop's DoW II achievements until such time that the game is released on 360!!!

wait, i gots no PC ones. bish however is all up ons his PC these days, and since they incorporated games for windows...im not sure how we'd even do such a moratorium! so, when he goes and gets more in another copy of Mass Effect, you wanna start a protest?

Lead's going down, ah well, been playing a bunch more PC games, and not many have achievements. Then again, if I'd played Avatar, College Hoops, and TMNT I'd have 3,000 more points, so I don't really feel that bad.

Dawn of War II is hella fun BTW, like a real time tactics, and no, don't think its coming to 360. Also it's like the only exclusive PC game with achievements I think, so it shouldn't be that much of an issue.

Not to mention, I won't be getting shit for achievements this year with Dragon Age, while you 360 kids will, fine trade off for the modability IMO, bit still.

Edited by bishopcruz

haha, competition bringing out the best in people, no doubt.

Bish: WAAAAAAH he's had an xbox since launch, so he can put as many achievement-whoring games on me as he likes (TMNT was fun, dammit), its not my fault i have to borrow & beat all his games for him these days.

also, football and racing games are ok, but not basketball? RACISM!

Space beats me at TrueAchievements, now that i know the system there, i realize if you play the most popular games and get the rarest achievements from them, you skyrocket...its weird that ive got harder-earned ones but the Rock Band ones seem to top my list, but then, lotta people play that one. that's alright john, you know im just having a sip of water before outrunning you again, point to all the outside sites you gotta to feel better, buddy!

no avatar, true enough, but i was meaning to ask: between all those Scene-it, Family fun night etc casual ones youve got on there, shouldnt you log out when you little brother plays?

so many salty tears. i thought you guys'd be happy i came back down to your level on Live, i mean, would you rather we do this with trophies?

oh shit, im beating you there too

great, so our mostly-friendly-kind've-butthurt competition now means that the # 2-4 contenders, for their best efforts so far, can add their scores together and come out a few thousand above metallogans.

i tell you, this is the saddest news since i retired skeeter.

Space beats me at TrueAchievements, now that i know the system there, i realize if you play the most popular games and get the rarest achievements from them, you skyrocket...its weird that ive got harder-earned ones but the Rock Band ones seem to top my list, but then, lotta people play that one.
Yeah, my theory on the relatively simple rock band ones holding so much weight is that it's a party game. The majority of people who play it are at some one else's house (a la most of us at Nick's) and don't actually own it themselves. Because of that, MOST people are playing local multiplayer instead of grinding out those 'cheevos.

i thought you guys'd be happy i came back down to your level on Live, i mean, would you rather we do this with trophies?
It is good to have you slumming it on live again! Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

Yeah, my theory on the relatively simple rock band ones holding so much weight is that it's a party game. The majority of people who play it are at some one else's house (a la most of us at Nick's) and don't actually own it themselves. Because of that, MOST people are playing local multiplayer instead of grinding out those 'cheevos.

It is good to have you slumming it on live again!

even then...why are "big in..." achievements higher on your list than say, the endless setlist one? how many people can you imagine actually did that one? i just find things like that weird, even given the system they use.

good to be back on live, but we need to schedule L4D and such to justify it...ive been gold for a month now, havent used it once!

ps you get a temporary reprieve from this competition cause gamefly sent me afro samurai scratched to all hell, freezes on the 2nd level mini-boss! use your time wisely, sir.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

you know, a few gaming communities im part of kinda shit on achievements as e-peen and pointless, some argue they fuck up the experience (i think notifications can be turned off?), and normally, i think that's overly-elitist: they add replay value for many, and the social functions of said e-peen are kinda cool: for instance, looking at Space Cowboy's score and seeing that he beat Mass Effect 2 on Insane mode on his first playthrough is impressive, and cool to see. i cant imagine dodging lighting 100x in FF X or my ass beating MGS4 on Big Boss Emblem without posting a screenshot.

but...a few gamers (even here) seem actively discouraged from playing games without them, and ive realized this leaves them out of some of this generation's absolute finest games. Is this a fault of the system, or more the loss of OCD gamers needing constant reinforcement? I cant really blame the system itself, as its largely optional, but it has changed things: its clearly had its effect on multiplayer-capable titles, commonly putting a number of ridiculous goals into online play in hopes to not see their game traded in used and potentially lose money on new sales. it's been said games like the last Prince of Persia actually have achievements as soon as you press start just to ensure said gamers arent inclined to trade their game in quickly, as some cannot stand having 10/1000 or such #'s on their gamercard. again, i cant blame these developers for exploiting any silly/obsessive openings they see, but is this having a negative affect on the way some of us play?

Achievements are the return of the classic point system. That was our instant gratification for us old 80s gamers. My score beat your score, I'm better than you. Who cares if we both beat the game. 15 years later, points are back, just in time to compare digital shlongs along the restroom stall backdrop of "Friend Circles"

Grand Pearl Pooh-Bah in Hexic HD is my claim to fame. ( on my old acct, I swear! :pumppump: )

Bah, piss and vinegar. I intend to get to a lot of games in my backlog, and some of those games don't have trophies. As much as I was waiting for Valkyria Chronicles to get them, I was also playing all the new stuff that I still had. I need to get to Folklore, just the same.

But as far as the rest of it goes, I haven't seen many Wii games I want, but that hasn't stopped me from picking up PSP and DS titles when the mood hits me properly. But if we're going to be honest... no new PS3 game, and no Xbox 360 game, is going to lack for achievements. I know of some people who are obsessive with their accounts, who won't play games they don't think they can 100% on their main account but will still play them. There are ways to make allowances for madness.

:pumppump: <---This will now precede any post I make while drunk.

I like games. I have at least a dozen Dreamcast VMU's because they filled up so quick and I didn't want to delete anything. I collected game saves on the hard drive of my original Xbox like badges of honor, achievements just put a number on it.

Achievements add more to the games for me, they're like optional quests. Most of the time I'll just play through a game, more or less ignoring the achievements. Usually about halfway through I'll give 'em a browse then I'll start doing a "mop up" where I snag the low hanging fruit and make a plan to get the harder ones that I deem doable. It's fun.

I've got a lot of shitty games on my card, but the thing is most of those were from like '06-'08. There was a point around the beginning of '07 where I had just gotten a job that gave me unlimited access to free games and I had literally played every 360 game worth playing, if I wanted something new I was snagging shit like Pimp My Ride and Bee Movie. At least achievements let me eke out a little fun from it.

Thankfully, those dark days are over.

The last couple of years so many good games have come out that I'm perpetually behind.

They haven't made me not want to play achievementless games, I dig the PC and DS, but if given an option of the same game either with or without them I'd much rather have them.

:lush: <---This will now precede any post I make while drunk.

...junkerseed?

I like games. I have at least a dozen Dreamcast VMU's because they filled up so quick and I didn't want to delete anything. I collected game saves on the hard drive of my original Xbox like badges of honor, achievements just put a number on it.

oh my god, im so like this. i love having my gold game saves/record of my quests, its weird. i still have a directory on my PC of all my PSX saves from the Dex Drive days; shame the "new" one i bought off spiffytee's not working so i cant yet access them again :pumppump: but yeah, i do love this. its like, when i figured out this gen i could click on a friend's gamercard and see what they've played/how far they've gotten, i thought that was so awesome.

They haven't made me not want to play achievementless games, I dig the PC and DS, but if given an option of the same game either with or without them I'd much rather have them.

i get this point, the notion of playing with em when its an option...but yeah, the bolded part was my main concern. i know we're talking about people's tastes/subjective values here, but if at least that much holds, i can respect a dude as a gamer. if you actively pass on achievement-less experiences...i guess you're meta-gaming or something, but i think it's pretty close-minded/shitty, personally.

Even though I love me my achievements I think I might be on the down slope of the obsessive phase. I have a Wii now and I'm finding myself wanting to play games again cause I wanna play 'em... not cause of what achievements I can get. It's weird what Xbox has done and I think Yahve hit it on the head. It's about high scores again and not whether you beat the game or not. Beating the game now is just the bonus. Maybe everyone will go through the phase I've been through...