Hondo's Bar

Mass Effect

The NZA

I'm trying, TRYING to get through the first one because everyone tells me how great this series is. I think my biggest problem is I don't like many "high sci fi" universes which seem to ultimately try and make up for their lack of a cohesive story by using the Tolken-esque aid of putting a ton of races in that you have to spend most of your time in the movie/game trying to learn what motivates their people and drives them to be like they are.

I don't know. I'm trying here but it's an uphill battle.

• 2 months later...

fuckin' finally, PS3-only kids can experience one of this year's best games:

Hey Folks,

For those that don't know, I am the Producer responsible for Mass Effect 2 PS3. Some of you may have read over on the German forums some of the details on Mass Effect 2 PS3's contents. I'd like to provide some clarity as I believe that there was some translation errors in the interview that Casey gave.

Firstly I'd like to talk about what's on the BluRay Disc; Of course Mass Effect 2 will be included. On top of that, Lair of the Shadow Broker, Project Overlord, Kasumi: Stolen Memory and the Blood Dragon Armour.

Also included is, as on Xbox 360 and PC, an access code to the Cerberus Network. This will give you instant access to the same great lineup of Downloadable Content such as Zaeed and Firewalker.

We've talked briefly about the Interactive Comic. BioWare Edmonton (the group that made Mass Effect 2) teamed up with the fine folks at Dark Horse Comics to create an interactive backstory. While I can't release all the details about this yet, what I can tell you is that we want to create a stunning visual experience that not only tells the core story elements of Mass Effect 1, but also is fully interactive allowing you to be faced with some of the major choices which will have consequences your Mass Effect universe. This interactive comic's initial release will be exclusive to PS3 owners who would be otherwise unable to realize the full effect of choice in the Mass Effect universe and will be included on the Cerberus Network.

There will also be some DLC Bundles, such as the Aegis Pack as well as exclusive both Free and Paid DLC for all PlayStation 3 owners such as the Recon Operations Pack. More details about this will be released later. ;)

I want also to touch on the '6 hour exclusive mission'. This I believe is a communication error lost in translation. When we talk about 6 hours of content we are talking about what's included exclusively "On Disc" (Kasumi, Shadow Broker, Overlord), The Interactive Back Story and the Cerberus Network Access.

Words can not express how very pleased I am to be able to bring this BioWare title to our PlayStation fans.

Lastly - As we're still a little while away from shipping this game, therefor some of these details are subject to changing.

-Jess

ps The the team is in the final polishing phase now and the game is looking fantastic! I can't wait to talk more about it and show more of it soon!

Summary;

- Mass Effect 2 plus Kasumi, Overlord, Shadow Broker, and Blood Dragon Armor on the disk.

- Cerberus Network access code to download Zaeed and all that.

- Interactive comic confirmed. "Exclusive" to the PS3. Probably timed. Has to be downloaded from the Cerberus Network.

- DLC bundles. "Exclusive" both free and paid DLC for PS3, including the 'Recon Operations Pack'. Apparently just content that was available to PC/Xbox360 owners at some point, but would otherwise be unnavailable to PS3 owners. Think 'Terminus Armor' and other pre-order crap.

- No 'six hour mission'. Translation issue. Was referring to the combined additional content of Shadow Broker, Overlord, Kasumi, and the interactive intro.

ive heard decent things on the DLC, haven't played it myself but more time with the game wouldn't be a bad thing. an interactive comic to catch up with part 1 (and make your decisions to carry over) strikes me as a much better idea than just having the videos on the disc or something, could be a cool idea. anyway, get excited, it's a great title and improves on virtually every flaw part 1 had.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Waaaay late to the party on this one, just started it yesterday. I'm 3 hours in and it's definitely a good game, but holy shit it is a carbon copy of KoTOR so far. The first city with the wards and clubs and whatnot is a xerox of KoTOR's first city. I know Bioware games tend to stick to a formula (see http://rampantgames.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/bwcliches.png for a good rundown) and I don't really mind that, but this is kind of ridiculous. I almost wonder if they didn't have the tech to do all they wanted with KoTOR so they shoved half of the ideas/design into Mass Effect. Otherwise, the writing and voice acting are top notch, and the combat is a welcome departure from standing in front of an enemy and trading shots/whacks until one of you is dead. I've heard from everyone that ME2 is far superior so I'm excited to check that out when I'm done with this one.

What's wrong with Dragon Age? The combat is pretty clunky on consoles, but otherwise it's as well written and acted as their other games and has some serious depth to it. Mass Effect is a way better draw for people who don't normally buy into western RPGs, but Dragon Age is a damned good example of a western sword and sorcery RPG that has real characters and writing (as opposed to Oblivion's "here's an encyclopedia we wrote" storytelling style). Anyone who liked Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights should be all about Dragon Age.

Archived