Hondo's Bar

Heath Ledger Dead

you can't really say it was a suicide until they do an autopsy. shit happens, even to young seemingly healthy and happy people. i read somewhere that he was being treated for pneumonia and was taking prescription sleeping pills so who knows if he took too many on purpose or accidentally. lord knows i've taken more pills than the bottle suggests because whatever i'm taking doesn't appear to be working, and then have that 'oh fuck' moment later when everything starts kicking in. still, accident or not, it's a fucking shame either way.

if it's an elaborate prank, he just ruined his career.

If it's an elaborate prank he would have to remain hidden for atleast seven years or face jail time. I was told this by someone who was awaiting 2Pac's return a few years ago, though I don't know how reputable somebody whose greatest fear in life would be getting caught "ridin' dirty" would know about such law, but I'ma just assume he was right cause I feel like it.

Either way it would be a bad career move.

I was so shocked when I found this out, and just when his career was really getting on a high note too. Makes me wonder if his splitting with Michelle Williams had anything to do with it. I thought he was a great actor too. Rest in peace Heath... :rip:

(Someone remind me to change my Hondos theme next time I'm at my main computer. Feels a little disrespectful now.)

This is very sad. Just two days ago I bought a purple sports coat at a thrift store that I planned to were to the dark Knight premiere. I guess I'll still wear it, but in his honor. Such a shame, he was a great actor. He also missed the cut off to join the 27 Club (Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Alexander the Great)

Silent Bob and Jax, I know how you feel. When I heard he had passed I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. Someone so talented, so young, who had recently become a father, with seemingly his whole life ahead of him. His passing is a great loss for cinema.

I am a bat-fanatic as I am sure you both are. I am still not sure how I will react when the movie opens. It will be one of the more unusual premieres ever. Especially when it appears that his "method acting" might have contributed to his demise.

I like your avatar Silent Bob, I am sure you and Jax got goosebumps, just as I did, when you saw that teaser trailer. I was also blown away with the disturbing portrayal of Heath Ledger's Joker, a character with seemingly no moral compass. Your avatar is a tribute to Heath, and to perhaps the greatest villan in all of comics history. Just as Jax purple jacket, the jacket is really the Joker's not Heath's.

Silent Bob, you can take the avatar down if it makes you feel uncomfortable.

Jax, I think you still wear your purple jacket to premiere if you want to.

I am sure I speak for many of your fellow Hondo's bretheren when I say, we know you are both being sincere.

All of the websites and blogs I frequent say his portrayal of the Joker is going to be epic. Though we will be quite morose staring at him as a celluloid ghost. I hope we can see his role as the Joker as a great tribute to a brilliant actor.

It's not that unusual for an actor to have his/her performance premiere in movie posthumously (The Crow is one example). But Ledger was younger than most, and this appears to be (like I said more) the kind of epic performance that many would wish they could close their careers with, under less tragic circumstances of course.

On a more outrageous note, I have some compassionate conservativism:

So yeah, this guy never fails to bring the douschiest commentary possible.

It's not that unusual for an actor to have his/her performance premiere in movie posthumously (The Crow is one example).

That's one I'm not sure to gage, was his death as tragic as Brandon Lee's? In some ways I see it as the same in some ways it differs, at least Heath will always be remembered as a great actor even if his last role was a psychotic clown. Brandon Lee is remembered as that guy who got shot when he played the Crow. Truly I mourn both actors, who I feel were truly talented and died long before their times but in a way Heath killed himself. In no way am I saying he got what he deserved but his method acting process was reckless and clearly unhealthy, he surely knew it wasn't good for him wheras Brandon was just a case of sheer bad luck in every way shape and form.

In any case, either actor could have gone out on a much worse note. Raul Julia's last film was Street Fighter, Chris Farley's was Almost Heroes, and John Candy died after Wagons East, hell John Ritter's last silver screen performance was in Bad Santa. So while his death was untimely, at lease he will always be remembered as one of the best and for his good roles instead of his bad.

In any case, either actor could have gone out on a much worse note. Raul Julia's last film was Street Fighter, Chris Farley's was Almost Heroes, and John Candy died after Wagons East, hell John Ritter's last silver screen performance was in Bad Santa. So while his death was untimely, at lease he will always be remembered as one of the best and for his good roles instead of his bad.

Phil Hartman in Small Soldiers too.

That's one I'm not sure to gage, was his death as tragic as Brandon Lee's? In some ways I see it as the same in some ways it differs, at least Heath will always be remembered as a great actor even if his last role was a psychotic clown. Brandon Lee is remembered as that guy who got shot when he played the Crow. Truly I mourn both actors, who I feel were truly talented and died long before their times but in a way Heath killed himself. In no way am I saying he got what he deserved but his method acting process was reckless and clearly unhealthy, he surely knew it wasn't good for him wheras Brandon was just a case of sheer bad luck in every way shape and form.

Well, don't go jumping to conclusions about the circumstances. Some reports said he had pneumonia, and though there was 5 different prescription drugs in the apartment, they were almost all full. It looks like it's possible he wasn't using the drugs recreationally, and accidentally mixed them. It's possible it had nothing to do with method acting or substance abuse/addiction. Let's wait til there's a more definitive official account.

Forgot about Hartman, that was perhaps the most tragic death of them all.

Well the way I'd heard it he accidentally took to many sleeping pills, I'm not citing the drugs. I'm citing the fact that he just put himself in harm's way through his training regiment. The end product can't be debated by the methods were very harmful to him. And yes it could've been an accident entirely having nothing to do with staying up all hours of the night writing in character journals to be the best character actor ever, but it can't be denied that that didn't exactly help him either.

But he did all that BEFORE photography for The Dark Knight began. The principle photography is finished. Was he preparing for another role I'm not aware of? The point is, we have no idea what the cause of death was. For all we know his doctor had him on two different prescriptions and hadn't checked on a potential reaction.

But he did all that BEFORE photography for The Dark Knight began. The principle photography is finished. Was he preparing for another role I'm not aware of? The point is, we have no idea what the cause of death was. For all we know his doctor had him on two different prescriptions and hadn't checked on a potential reaction.

He was partway through working on another movie, I believe a Terry Gilliam film.

He was partway through working on another movie, I believe a Terry Gilliam film.

I just saw that on Wikipedia. Evidently, the film is now indefinitely suspended as Ledger's involvement was key to the financing, even though Ledger's Wikipedia page says film was completed on it.

Who is he?

A popular talk show host that has a Radio Show on Fox News Radio and a TV Show on the Fox News TV channel. This clip was from his radio show.

Archived