Hondo's Bar

Iron Man

No! It didn't happen! Stop mentioning that movie!

Oh shush, it was closer to the comics than you realilze and much closer to Darwyn Cooke's version than anybody wants to admit. If he hadn't decided to make it The Crow 5 as well as The Spirit it would've been almost right.

• Downvote 1

You're right. Unfortunately, it was Frank Miller comics, not Will Eisner comics.

I don't know, a lot of the stupider plot points were actually all Eisner's doing, though the henchmen, the T&A, and everythign involving Sam Jackson were straight-up Miller.

• 2 years later...

Oh shush, it was closer to the comics than you realilze

niAAM.gif

I missed this thread before.

There is absolutely no universe where this is correct. How much Spirit have you read? The best (and the vast majority) of Spirit stories have very little to do with the actual character. They're usually small slice of life stories where someone's fate tragically intertwines with some criminal activity. Dolan, Ellen and Ebony (no way he was making it to the movie...) were pretty much the only recurring characters.

They completely missed the point with that movie. It was as ham fisted as it gets and it was like a child wrote it based on a vague description of the character. The only thing they got right were a couple of moments where Denny sort of clumsily and accidentally does something cool.

I grew up on The Spirit. I will confidently challenge you one this.

The issues that were about the Spirit: if you remove the weird color scheme, every weird thing that Samuel L. Jackson does, and all the TNA were really pretty close. I have no problem imagining Will Eisner's The Spirit saying "I'm gonna kill you all kinds of dead!" It's skewed with weird Frank Miller shit but there's still a lot of Eisner in there, it's just hidden under stupid.