Hondo's Bar

Mike's Mixed Martial Arts Madness Thread!

Da Cap'n

• 5 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Mike looked great out there, but he seemed to be at his best once he started grappling with his opponent. At the beginning of the fight when they were staying up-top exchanging punches, the fight looked almost even, perhaps his opponent may have been a little ahead at that point. Once Mike dropped down though and did that crazy spin move that led into shooting for the guys leg, he just took over.

That spin move on the ground was really slick, it seemed to really take his opponent by surprise. The other guy didn't even have time to sprawl out or try to cross-face Mike. I haven't watched much MMA footage so I'm not sure if sprawling and cross-facing are typical tactics though.

Anyways, you might get more play with this video if you rename it to something like, "Watch Panch's Brother's MMA Fight!" Most people may just think that Mike Rio is some WWE wrestler when they see the title, rather than your brother. Just a thought.

You're totally right... Mike feels at home when grappling. He's a wrestler after all. The problem with that is that when opponents find this out they usually got his number. These guys know that wrestlers LOVE to take shots. So they wait for 'em... and when they come, they throw the knee in your face (the kid had a kickboxing background to boot)! Mike's taken enough knees to the face to know he has to stand up and duke it out sometimes. That guy caught him with one GREAT right and Mike nearly was out for the count. Luckily, his wrestling skills took over and the match was done before it started. The kid was outclassed, plain-and-simple. His only chance to win was that one punch.

Oh and plenty of people on Hondos know Mike.

Can we change the title altogether? What about 'Mike's Mixed Martial Arts Madness'? Think people'll come then?

Anyone can change the title of a thread they started. Go to your first post, and do a Full Edit. Besides the body of that post, you'll also be about to edit the Title.

...dumbass.

While Mike is healing up, he might want to consider taking some additional classes so that he can add some unorthodox moves to his game. If he can, he should at least take a look at training a bit with Sifu Chin who has trained a few different nationally recognized kickboxing champions. Here is a link to his website: http://www.winglungkungfu.com/miami/

yeah, from what i know of mike, most of his striking comes from boxing. he's got solid form, and its not like they had to teach him footwork/balancing shit with that ridiculous wrestling background. i know the MMA place across from FIU where he teaches, im pretty sure they do kickboxing as well, no idea how much of it he's done - looking to stop off by his place & check up later this week, ill post more then.

The palce is called FFA (Freestyle Fighting Academy) and Mike's the head Wrestling instructor there. He obviously is also a student. He takes all the advanced striking and ju jitsu classes. He's pretty much is into everything there.

I'm familiar with them and I noticed that was the organization he was with since they were advertising on the video. There are some interesting techniques in kung-fu that are missing in jiu-jitsu and other styles of fighting that are commonly used by MMA fighters that he might really be able to take advantage of. I've known a few different guys who were really quick that could use some of the different sweep techniques in kung-fu and knock a sparring partner on their back before they knew what was going on.

Even if he wasn't interested in that sort of thing, Chin could really help him improve his kickboxing skills in a fairly short amount of time. He wouldn't ask Mike to switch affiliations or anything. Chin's in his late 50's and isn't trying to make a name for himself or his school anymore, which is fairly common for most of the young schools.

One of my teachers during the 90's was the state middle-weight champion of Florida in kickboxing when he was 18 (he competed in the 18-35 year old age group). A few years later when he got corporate sponsorship to fight on the national level, he sought out Chin since he was recommended to him by a few different people. It really helped him step up his skills.

At the very least Mike should consider talking to him.

Yeah Mike wasn't going to last too long going blow for blow...he got caught a couple good times. Mike's bread and butter is grappling and he should really just go in with that. No one would touch him. He wants to be a smasher, but for right now if he fights someone really skilled in boxing, he's going to get knocked out. Good match tho, I'd like to finally see him fight here and Miami...well against anyone not named Panch!

Edited by Electric Duadoman

that's the disadvantage of your age difference there. that was jaimey's MO for years growing up, but now he's damn near 40 with a bad back.

i swear, one day we're gonna be having dinner or opening gifts or something and im just gonna regress and tag him outta nowhere. brothers who wrestle are d-bags.

So supposedly, Mike's last opponent got really upset about a mass e-mail that went out from his fight gym discribing the fight. I guess he said that it was nicely written, but not accurate. He claims that Mike 'got lucky'.

A few days before though, the guy's girlfriend asked to be Mike's friend on myspace. Mike, not thinking nothing of it, added her. After the guy's response to the e-mail, the girlfriend posted before and after pics of Mike's nose. With the after picture saying, 'Mike after ONE PUNCH'. Pissed, Mike asked that I write the girl an e-mail of my own, so I did... and here it is...

Shitty, oh I mean, SHORTY!

Look mama, I TOTALLY understand if you're frustrated that your boyfriend's a loser. I mean, he fought well, but let's face it... after that ONE PUNCH, Mike (my little brother) just got super 'lucky'. So lucky, in fact, that your man didn't land another punch the rest of the fight. But, you know what, I'm getting ahead of myself. I congratulate your man on, what was probably, the best fight that I had ever seen. Well, the most one-sided, at least. I can understand if you and your man were so confused about the content of the fight, because it was SO FAST! Two minutes or something if I'm not mistaken..., but you're probably used to that from him (another reason, I'm sure, for all your anger in general... lack of sexual satisfaction). You're still young (18, right?) and you'll have plenty of time to find the right guy. One with a brighter future in something other than MMA fighting. Cause let's face it..., 'Nate Dogg' ain't off to a great start. Well, gotta go sweetheart.

Panch

P.S.

Hey, if ya boy ain't handlin' it in the bedroom, holla at me! I can knock you out for real!