Hondo's Bar

X-men Origins: Wolverine

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well let's see I've read all the old 80s comics he appeared in, I read the solo series he had where he was trying to protect Mystique for reasons I can't recall, I've seen the movie, I've seen X-Men Unlimited's take on him, I've seen Ultimate X-Men's take on him, the 90s sereies' take on him. Admittedly I'm not a big reader of X-Men but I read several of the old ones as well as all this alternate universe Age of Apocalypse stuff (which I don't even think he was in, but that's beside the point) I've seen him reinvented time and time again and it's always the same things "Look at me I'm a bigger weaker Wolverine whose fighting skills include lunging at my enemy blindly whilst shout 'graaaaaagh!'" and I'm left wondering "I wonder what the Juggernaut's doing right now?"

Heh. It's true. But even Ultimate 'Tooth? He has everyone tell him to his face that's he's a poor substitute at best, acknowledges that and from there goes out of his way to be more... just plain crazier than Wolvie, right up to the 4 claws, adamantium teeth and all. Wolverine's scary but he does his level best to keep it in check. Sabretooth is like Carnage but trade the symbiote for adamantium.

Oh, and by the sounds of it, you're reading all the redemption or under duress crap, like Sabretooth's inhibitor collar Xfactor days(they were kinda a fun dynamic though)

Heh. It's true. But even Ultimate 'Tooth? He has everyone tell him to his face that's he's a poor substitute at best, acknowledges that and from there goes out of his way to be more... just plain crazier than Wolvie, right up to the 4 claws, adamantium teeth and all. Wolverine's scary but he does his level best to keep it in check. Sabretooth is like Carnage but trade the symbiote for adamantium.

Oh, and by the sounds of it, you're reading all the redemption or under duress crap, like Sabretooth's inhibitor collar Xfactor days(they were kinda a fun dynamic though)

Wait I take that back, there is one Sabretooth I've liked, and this seems odd coming out of my mouth big Liefeld hater as I am but this was probably the only good characterization the miserable fucker ever did. There was a story I believe in the early 90s where Creed got more or less lobotomized by Wolverine and got all the wind taken out of his sails for a while he was more or less just a big dumb animal (not that much of a stretch really) he was a member of X-Force for a while and I liked that portion of the story (perhaps that's what you're talking about with the inhibitor collar, I don't know)

And Ultimate Sabretooth suffered from the same problem it always does when they start to actually give him a little character and then promptly killed him off. It's like they bring out the cake in front of the fat kid long enough for him to begin drooling and then just eat the whole fucking thing right in front of him.

The last I saw of Ultimate Sabretooth was him and Wolvie going over a cliff in... Was it the Savage Land? I don't buy that was the last of him. Sure Ultimate Wolvie takes no prisoners but there would've been some kinda Deus Ex Machina.

ANd in regards to Xfactor- I dunno who the writer was but the art most certainly wasn't liefeld. This was late 90's when Xfactor(you sure you're not thinking of Xforce?) was a team of mutant criminals(Mystique & Forge sharing a bed & leadership) and though Sabretooth wore an inhibitor collar similar to a dog's anti-bark one where if his bloodpressure rose or whatever he got zapped, in spite of all that they still kept him under lock and key & Wildchild was the only one allowed near him. I'm pretty sure Aurora(northstar's twin?) was also on that team.

Yeah it was X-Force then, I just remembered Wolverine popping his claws through the side of his head, Cable taking him in, and Boomer bringing him a bowl of milk. And then he was a pretty regular member of X-Force.

And I stand corrected Sabretooth was in Age of Apocalypse with the little kid Sabretooth Wild Child, he was better than usual in there but still not really interesting.

Again, you're looking at the 'redemption' sabretooth. AoA ST was a fucking goodguy from what I saw, which they obviously did as a twist on the remorseless psycho from regular continuity. Nick's all down with the digital comic shit, he should make some recommendations to point you in a direction.

Again, you're looking at the 'redemption' Sabretooth. AoA ST was a fucking goodguy from what I saw, which they obviously did as a twist on the remorseless psycho from regular continuity. Nick's all down with the digital comic shit, he should make some recommendations to point you in a direction.

That was where they made him interesting, he was always just evil for evil's sake. And to quote Ben Croshaw "A villain who's dedicated to nothing more than being a bastard isn't interesting." At least when he was all redeemed he was actually had thoughts other then "Let's tear some shit up." Maybe there's a happy medium in there somewhere but I have yet to see it.

Nope. Less than being a bastard for the sake of it though, doesn't the middle child syndrome interest you at all? You mentioned that Ultimate Sabretooth did in fact rate on the Baytorscale before he met his supposedly untimely demise.

Yeah he did, he was really going somewhere and then gone. He wasn't just dedicated to being a bastard, he was into proving he was better and I actually started liking him about 10 pages before he died. And maybe they'll pull it out in this new one, but in an hour and a half movie they won't even begin to scratch the surface and it'll probably be slightly better than his appearance in X1 (he'll probably have a few more lines)

Yeah, Lief Schrieber's more of an actor than mere presence or stagefill(like X1). I'm imagining an opening that'll be a few choice scenes from Origin, maybe even from Sabretooth's perspective, and really that's all they'd need to set up the dynamic juuust right. Christ knows everyone's gotta have the low expectancy you do for sabretooth characterisation.

Yeah, Lief Schrieber's more of an actor than mere presence or stagefill(like X1). I'm imagining an opening that'll be a few choice scenes from Origin, maybe even from Sabretooth's perspective, and really that's all they'd need to set up the dynamic juuust right. Christ knows everyone's gotta have the low expectancy you do for sabretooth characterisation.

To be fair my/our expectations are justified. And no disrespect to Shrieber, but even his good acting couldn't save the portion of The Omen he was in so I'm still on the fence over whether even he could fix one of the worst characters ever written (admittedly, he's no Toad)

Creed's the obvious "negative of the hero" but i thought it worked cause theyre clearly related, and he's like what :wolvy: would be if he just let go of his sense of morality. Creed just takes whatever he wants, raping about and what not. but yeah, most writers make him something to make logan look tougher. Larsen or someone once said they wanted to do a story where all the lame sabretooths (read: he got beat once by fucking Power Pack), were just clones/experiments of Mr Sinister, and the real one was the one killing logan's women from the shadows.

his best moments for me are when he's, say, gutting Psylocke. he needs to be a force to be reckoned with, like when he was with the Marauders - he should be reserved, and bodies should drop when he's around.

hands-down, best fight with those 2 was wolverine # 90, the moments before Age of Apocalypse.

thank you, jax.

and yeah, but honestly skeet, Larsen was on Wolverine vol 1 for a short stint that, along with his Wizard interview, was damn interesting. he was tasked with bringing back the adamantium, and had ideas like a :wolvy: sinister six, making new villains, and an arch-nemesis beyond creed. I know its easy to say, but i like to think he'dve tried, if the editors then hadnt forced so much shit down this throat ("ok, write what you want, but this month? he's the angel of death. Next, he's back, but you need Nightcrawler in the story somehow. have fun!"). The book was at its height of shit, and he did fun stuff like bone claw Wolverine vs Galactus. I really wish he'dve stayed on longer, cause i dug it more than any of his Savage shit ive read.

Honestly, having read the entirety of vol 1, after Frank "the talent" Tieri was quoted as saying Wolvy's like marvels WWF book as far as writing goes, anyone who simply tried shit had my attention.

Heh. It's Tieri you hate right? I can see why now. I think I read the same Larsen interview- was where he mentioned he had no issue with Wolvie being in space or in bed with electra at the same moment in different titles. Did you dig that Angel of Death thing? I fucking adored the shit outta that Astonishing Xmen 3-piece where he killed his skrull imposter, and the way he brought back the adamantium was great. In regards to Sabretooth, I'm thinking definitive characterisation comes in the form of 100 Bullets' Lono. Baytor-Read the Counterfifth detective for a good Lono story.

:wolvy: since were here anyway...

Tieri'd start out strong, like uh, Mr X was ok at first, and that mob one was great in its first issue, but the finishers were just awful. he once killed :wolvy: via a satellite, weapon x and leech (dont ask) and no one even recalls (but me) cause it was so fucking pointless. i was literally buying them for the esad ribic covers at that point.

yeah, the angel of death shit was fun, but the rest of "The Chosen" or whatever was hit or miss, as with any event. I actually wanted wolvy to stay Death longer, but that's cause ive always liked this old Cleremont bit (fancy that?) where he said he'd love to do a story with an out-of-control logan who goes too far, takes out one of his own and you find out just how many x-men it takes to put him down. I shoulda known he'd not stay death more than a few issues, but i really thought Millar had the stones to do that in "Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." hence my dislike for that giant copout of a story. so much potential.

As for your Lono analogy, it saddens me cause you're spot-on. That's the kinda nigh-badass with a heart of fucking venom and bile that Creed could and should be with writing on that level, but it just wont happen.

glad you saw the light.

i dunno, there was much better going on in marvel at the time so i never even finished the arc. it left me wondering how the fuck Cyc was left dead for a while, but then i remembered he's an x-man, that shit doenst really count.

unless, ironically, youre actually X-Man.

More characters join the Wolvy movie (From Marvel.com):

Lost Star Joins Cast of X-Men Origins: Wolverine Movie

You can never have too much of a good thing and when it comes to info for 2009's "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" movie, the hits just keep on coming.

Following up on the recent casting announcement that Sabretooth, Deadpool and four other characters have been locked up for the Wolvie solo flick, it's now been confirmed that Agent Zero and a character named Barnell also make the list.

Barnell, played by "Lost" and "Lord of the Rings" star Dominic Monaghan, could be the avian mutant Beak, though a recent "Variety" article describes the character as having electricity and energy manipulation powers, so he could be a new mutant with the same name.

Agent Zero, on the other hand, has a long and storied history. International actor Daniel Henney steps into the shoes of the Agent Zero, formerly the hero Maverick. It will be interesting to see how Zero's deep ties to Wolverine and Sabretooth will be handled.

Fucking BEAK?!?!?! How the fuck does Beak rate a mention and/or appearance here?! I'm honestly starting to think this is gonna be an underground black comedy as opposed to drama-charged insight to Marvel's favourite mutant(after quicksilver of course).

Archived