Hondo's Bar

"Wait, how have you NOT seen this movie!?"

Classic/well known flicks on Hondo's  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i'd rather be raped by a wombat and speak australian than watch star wars all the live long day.

Drink enough and it may happen....

But yeah, the austin powers films should be up there... Brilliant films, and they had an impact, it helped kickstart the, now annoying, retro thing, where mini's were cool...

Not to mention being great films

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright, I'll just admit it, I don't like Taxi Driver. There, I said it.
Yaaay, I have someone else so I can stand up without fear of crucifixion as well.
But when you think you'll be roasted on a spit for admitting you think a movie is nowhere near as good as everyone claims it to be and they seem rabidly defensive of it, you tend to be wary.

To sum it up, you may perturb the bear but you don't kick it in the face and call its mother a whore.

i assume that's aimed at me, when have i ever attacked somebody for what they did or did'nt like?

yes i fiercely defended it, but no moreso than anybody else here who is passionate about something.

i agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Also if you're doing a classics one I reccomend:

Chinatown

Casablanca

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Bonnie and Clyde

On the Waterfront

Rear Window

Psycho (Honestly I'm tempted to just make a list of Hitchcock films)

Sabrina

The Great Escape

of that list, i've only seen psycho

• 2 weeks later...
of that list, i've only seen psycho

i love Casablanca & Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, Great Escape's a lotta fun, i still gotta see Rear Windown

saw pulp fiction the other night... hated it...

wha..? you just being contrary, or why? perhaps you missed Bruce Willis.

casablanca's been built up so much i just can't see it living up to the hype

I used to think that too before I saw it. But Casablanca usually lives up to the hype by not being the kind of movie you expect it to be. It's not like Citizen Kane or Gone With the Wind or Lawrence of Arabia or any of the other "greatest movies of all time". It's just a simple movie that turned out about as perfect as a film can get.

you also say taxi driver is the be all and end all of movies, who are you to be trusted

let's not get into that all over again.

but i will say this, i'm not the only person that thinks taxi driver is a great movie, it's rated very highly by almost all respected critics. you don't like taxi driver or the godfather so i probably should'nt have been surprised you did'nt like pulp fiction either.

epic movie is out now maybe that'd be more up your alley :eh:

I used to think that too before I saw it. But Casablanca usually lives up to the hype by not being the kind of movie you expect it to be. It's not like Citizen Kane or Gone With the Wind or Lawrence of Arabia or any of the other "greatest movies of all time". It's just a simple movie that turned out about as perfect as a film can get.

fine so, i'll check it out.

but so help me god, if you're wrong then i'll most likely tell you i did'nt like it in this thread sometime in the future

let's not get into that all over again.

but i will say this, i'm not the only person that thinks taxi driver is a great movie, it's rated very highly by almost all respected critics. you don't like taxi driver or the godfather so i probably should'nt have been surprised you did'nt like pulp fiction either.

epic movie is out now maybe that'd be more up your alley :eh:

Or maybe, i'm not hugely keen on american mafia/gang films

• 1 year later...
I realised recently that "the professional" is actually "Leon"

That accounts for me having voted for not seeing it given i didn't know what it was...

I've seen both versions, so that makes me doubly awesome! :blink:

Anyway, that list was no challenge for a film geek like me. The only film on that list I'm not a fan of is Boondock Saints. Blech. This is a good idea, someone should do a "redux' version of this poll.

I realised recently that "the professional" is actually "Leon"

That accounts for me having voted for not seeing it given i didn't know what it was...

looking back, i shouldve mentioned it to be the same film - actually, Leon's more complete.

Hakujin & co: mind you, yeah i put iconic shit down here. Back to the Future, Titanic and other easy ones arent here, and i encourage a secondary poll by any inclined to do so.

not sure i mentioned this prior, but some - like Trainspotting, Crow etc - im not saying they're mainstream; im saying, theyre very popular niche, like Army of Darkness and such. From me living in cutler ridge, id not seen them. when i got to an international college? there were a lotta films like those listed that everybody'd seen but me. and in the time since DD was founded and became Hondo's, many of those had lines and such that became memes: for instance, if youve not seen Firefly, and then Serenity, i pity your presence here a few years back when half the avatars, member titles etc reflected it. not many of you were here years back, but Trainspotting once did that, too. as did Fight Club, clearly.

i picked "iconic" in the sense that i find it interesting that there was once a point the board operated as if youd seen such films. finding out years later that, say, LL was anit-star wars or mal was anti-FC (with no real good reason on either count), it struck me as a poll-worthy oddity, nothing more.

ps boondock saints was lacking but still magnificent, fuck the haters!

looking back, i shouldve mentioned it to be the same film - actually, Leon's more complete.

Hakujin & co: mind you, yeah i put iconic shit down here. Back to the Future, Titanic and other easy ones arent here, and i encourage a secondary poll by any inclined to do so. . .

I'm bored enough to maybe just do another poll.

i picked "iconic" in the sense that i find it interesting that there was once a point the board operated as if youd seen such films. finding out years later that, say, LL was anit-star wars or mal was anti-FC (with no real good reason on either count), it struck me as a poll-worthy oddity, nothing more.

I think the list is pretty thorough, it's got like 75% of the films I'd expect any girl I'm dating to have seen if she intends to keep on dating me. ;)

ps boondock saints was lacking but still magnificent, fuck the haters!

more like it was lacking in magnificence.

I fare a little better in this poll than v2. I havent seen Taxi Driver, Boondock Saints, The Professional (havent even heard of that), American Beauty and the Evil Dead saga. All the rest I have. The Godfather movies did absolutely nothing for me. I just glaze over when anyone says the word "Mafia". Peter can say it better than I ever could:

Archived