Hondo's Bar

The Hobbit

I'm with Silent Bob on that, King Kong featured about one too many scenes involving giant centipedes and bat creatures, but it was a solid film.

so, what, they're co-directors or something?

No, he's a producer, he consults, he gets money, he helps bring in a cast. But ultimately it's Del Toro's call on everything and thus Del Toro's movie.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fuckers. I thought King Kong was great.
I'm with Silent Bob on that, King Kong featured about one too many scenes involving giant centipedes and bat creatures, but it was a solid film.

i agree, i thoroughly enjoyed king kong.

on the hobbit, i don't know del toro's work so i can't comment on him as a director but with jackson producing and co writing i have confidence in the project.

He did Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth. If you haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth, you should rent it and watch it on a big screen in a dark room with no windows.

Thats an idea we can all get behind.

Note there was no such endorsement for Hellboy. :love:

• 2 months later...

King kong was an amazing movie.... i actually cried at the end. what is it with peter jackson and doing these intense close ups of the actors face...... :crunk: the god-damned gorilla didnt have to die... he just wanted to belong!!!

anyway, pans labyrinth, also a great movie, but kind of left the theatre a little dissappointed. i really wanted more of a exploration of that other world , an i was really expecting more from the monster with the eyeball in his hands. other than that pans labyrinth is artistically spectacular, and the story was incredibly compelling and heartwrenching. wouldnt mind a sequel.

Ian MckEllen must be Gandalf! And Viggo must be Strider, he plays a small but significant part in the book. They should try to cast and the original cast for there dual roles in The Hobbit except for Bilbo, he may need to be recast.

As far as Bilbo the current rumors I read at the OneRing.net was James McAvoy (Wanted, Atonement) to play Bilbo, which I think would be great casting! Ian Holm might be a little too old. McAvoy denies it, but don't all stars deny the involvement in movies?

The first movie will be The Hobbit.

From what I read, the second movie is being called in some circles as a "BRIDGE" movie to lead into the events of the Fellowship of the ring, I would imagine it goes more into Army and Man and Elves against Sauran with Isildur and the finding and losing of the rings. All the material is there in the Prologues and the Simirilian, you just have to organize and pick the parts that work on screen. I have full confidence in Jackson, Fran Walsh & Phillipa Boyens, they are masters at translating Tolkien's books. And a visionary director like Guillermo Del Torro, this could be great!

Edited by Dark Kaniggit

Ian MckEllen must be Gandalf! And Viggo must be Strider, he plays a small but significant part in the book. They should try to cast and the original cast for there dual roles in The Hobbit except for Bilbo, he may need to be recast.

Adimittedly it's been years since I've read The Hobbit, but HE DOES? Are you sure? Because if I remember right The Hobbit takes place a good 200 years before The Lord of the Rings, Frodo's an old man before he even sets off on his journey and wasn't it like Bilbo's 111th birthday party they're celebrating at the beginning?

Adimittedly it's been years since I've read The Hobbit, but HE DOES? Are you sure? Because if I remember right The Hobbit takes place a good 200 years before The Lord of the Rings, Frodo's an old man before he even sets off on his journey and wasn't it like Bilbo's 111th birthday party they're celebrating at the beginning?

Aragorn was born several years before the events of The Hobbit, I think.

March 1, 2931

Arnor

Aragorn II, descendant of Aranarth first Chieftain of the Dúnedains, is born. His mother calls him Estel ("hope") and sends him to live with Elrond.

The Shire / Erebor

Thorin Oakenshield and Gandalf visit Bilbo in the Shire. Bilbo joins the Dwarves' quest to retake the treasures of Erebor. Among his many adventures, Bilbo meets Gollum and finds the One Ring.

Bard of Esgaroth slays Smaug the dragon with the aid of Bilbo. The Battle of the Five Armies—Men, Elves, Dwarves, Goblins, and Eagles— is fought over Smaug's treasure. Thorin Oakenshield dies in battle, and Dain of the Iron Hills becomes King under the mountain.

Edited by alive she cried

I am not precisely sure where in the book in the book he is, but he is in it.

As far as him being too young to be in the Hobbit, He is a member of Dúnadan, the last of a great in a great line of men from the north who are blessed with a very long life. They have been known to live for a many hundreds of years. So he was definitely around for The Hobbit.

Edited by Dark Kaniggit

Your right I apologize, in one the many appendicies to the books A tall figure is mentioned guarding the Shire at the urging of Gandalf he is called "Strider". Not in the book. The books start blending in my head! I sincerely I apologize.

I do think he would be a play a bigger part in second film where he actually meets Gandalf and Guards the Shire.

This is from theonering.net

Aragorn met Gandalf the Grey in 2956, and they became close friends. At Gandalf's advice he and his followers began to guard a small land known as the Shire, inhabited by the diminutive and agrarian Hobbits, and he became known among the peoples just outside the Shire's borders as Strider.

Thats takes place after, again sorry for confusion.

• 3 months later...

Full article can be found here: http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00019081.html

Guillermo Del Toro on 'The Hobbit' Casting

October 15, 2008 07:13:37 GMT

The Academy Award-nominated director discusses the rumors flying around the casting for the J.R.R. Tolkien's adaptation project from Hugo Weaving and Ian McKellen to Doug Jones and Viggo Mortensen.

After opening up about his vision on the creatures of "The Hobbit", dragon Smaug and Wargs, director Guillermo Del Toro speaks out about what he knows of the casting. Talking to MTV, the 44-year-old fesses up that no one has definitely come on board the project though he and his crew have in mind some of the potential actors.

Asked whether Hugo Weaving will be cast as Elrond once again, Del Toro reveals that he has the intention to approach the star as well as other "Lord of the Rings" actors, like Andy Serkis and Ian McKellen. "Oh yeah. We have to approach him - of course," he says. "Hugo Weaving, Andy Serkis, Ian McKellen - they all must be approached to do the movie."

Moving on to the speculation of Doug Jones as the potential candidate for the Elvin King, the man behind "Pan's Labyrinth" hints that Jones may get another part but the King. "I would love to find a part for Doug. It's not necessarily the Elvin King. I think there is a part that will suit him, but it's not the Elvin King," so he claimed.

Additionally, he also addresses the issue of Viggo Mortensen's casting. On the occasion, Del Toro insists that he has not spoken to the Aragon's depicter. Exposing his reason, he further states, "I think that if you create the situation in which the actor has felt invited, that you cannot or do not find him fit for the part, he will feel slighted. Damaging to our relationship and damaging to the project. We are really cautious about not saying any names, because until the pages tell us what to do, we shouldn't."

To be produced by Academy Award-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson who has directed Tolkien's other novel adaptation "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, "Hobbit" will be a two-part movie centering on Bilbo Baggins. The first part, "The Hobbit", tells the story when the character embarks on a journey to reclaim the stolen treasure by the dragon Smaug and eventually comes into possession of the One Ring, while the second "The Hobbit 2" will serve as a bridge between "Hobbit" and "LOTR". "Hobbit" is scheduled for December 1, 2011 release and "Hobbit 2" is set to be released exactly a year later on December 1, 2012.

So, the possibility of Ian Holm as Bilbo Baggins wasn't even mentioned. I know he's old, but there's make-up and CGI and all that.

It just wouldn't work. They picked Holme likely because they would be able to gradually show his real age to make Bilbo look ancient. And while making an old actor look young if he's going to spend the majority of his screen time looking old, Holme is just not going to work for Bilbo in any way shape and form. And you saw how shitty that anti-aging makeup/CG looked in X-Men 3. It looked like airbrushing a botoxed face.

Peter Jackson shot himself in the foot casting an actor that was far too old to play Bilbo in the first place. It's time to just cut losses and accept that we need a new one.

As much as I would love to bring back as much of the LOTR cast as possible, I can't see how doing it with Ian Holm as Bilbo would be possible. Even with makeup/CGI, it would just look bad, and it won't work. Best thing to do would be to find an actor who talks/resembles Holm as best as possible, but younger.

• 1 year later...