Hondo's Bar

The Hobbit

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Funny that there's been no activity in this thread in the month approaching the premiere.

Anyway, saw the movie at midnight. The 48 FPS is indeed jarring, but you do get used to it for large parts of the movie, then a large sweeping motion will occur on screen and you will notice it again. The 3D was well done, so if you're the type of person that likes to go to 3D when the technology is well integrated, it would probably worth the added price for you.

Stretching the Hobbit into three movies, each almost 3 hours (I'm going to assume the next two will be about as long) is a tad indulgent, but it works well if you like being in Middle Earth. While the book has a distinctly younger feel than the LOTR books that would follow it, this feels like it's being told for the same audience as the LOTR movies.

It basically boils down to, if you liked the LOTR movies, there's more of what you liked in these movies, and if you didn't, you probably won't like this movie.

I find it odd that while all the LOTR movies got in the 90's on Rotten Tomatoes, this one has a 69% as of now.

Edited by Reverend Jax

from what I understand, the Movies are being broken down like this (spoilers for the two of you who hate books and have never read the Hobbit or LotR):

Movie 1: Beginning up to the Eagles

Movie 2: Beorn to the Battle of Five Armies...maybe the end of the Hobbit itself

Movie 3: The time in between The Hobbit and Fellowship

If done that way, this could actually work.

I just find it amazing that it's been 11 years since Fellowship released...

Well, the next movie is called The Desolation of Smaug, and it comes out December 2013, and the last one is called There and Back Again, and it comes out July 2014, the first of the Peter Jackson Middle Earth movie not released in December.

I too think that if the second movie ends with the Dwarves reclaiming their home and treasure, the third movie has a quite a task ahead of itself to be worthwhile.

Not really. you have alot of things that go on during that time, most of which are only talked about in the appendixes and in passing.

Do you really want to watch 3 hours of "Bunch'a shit happened..."? I mean, Return of the King is known for having a ridiculously over-long ending. If they make the epilogue to The Hobbit into a 3 hour movie that is not just ballsy, it is full on crazy.

I genuinely and sincerely hope they release a The Hobbit: The Version Without All the Bullshit edition whenever this is over with. If nothing else there will be a fan-made one.

So is the 48 fps only in the 3D version or in the 2D version also?

Apparently it's only a select few theaters

"I’d advise skipping the 48 fps version if you can; it’s only being shown in around 450 theaters nationwide, but theaters may not be advertising whether they’re showing the 48 fps version or the regular 24. Whether you love or hate motion-smoothing on your TV, or just can’t tell the difference, it’d be smart to check your local listings or call your local theater and find out which version you’re getting, so you know what to expect."

Which is good because I'd rather not pay way too much money to watch something that looks like a 60s-era videotape (yes I know that's an oxymoron, bad history proves a point!)

I downloaded several 24 vs 48 fps comparison videos (proper ones, filmed in 48 fps. And you can't watch them on Youtube, it doesn't support it), and I really like it. It's a bit jarring at first, I think because our brains are very used to only receiving half as much information when watching things, but the difference in quick motion and camera movement is substantial. I think we all take for granted the blurring and tracing that comes when shit is moving quickly. I'm really looking forward to seeing a film with crisp movement.

It's actually one of the only reasons I want to see this in the theaters.

I downloaded several 24 vs 48 fps comparison videos (proper ones, filmed in 48 fps. And you can't watch them on Youtube, it doesn't support it), and I really like it. It's a bit jarring at first, I think because our brains are very used to only receiving half as much information when watching things, but the difference in quick motion and camera movement is substantial. I think we all take for granted the blurring and tracing that comes when shit is moving quickly. I'm really looking forward to seeing a film with crisp movement.

It's actually one of the only reasons I want to see this in the theaters.

To answer earlier questions, from what I've read, the 48 FPS is only on 3D screenings, and not all of them. There is no additional charge for the HFR, other than the additional charge already on there for the 3D. For my theater, Fandango listed the fact that it was in HFR, so maybe Fandango has comprehensive listings, but maybe they don't.

Anyway, yeah, it's definitely jarring, and I definitely think it's just that we're used to the effects of 24 FPS on film (motion blurs, etc), not the fact that it's inherently strange. If this becomes the standard in TV broadcasting and in film, people will bitch, but eventually everyone will get used to it.