Hondo's Bar

Campaign to Limit Signatures

archangel

Should we post a limit on Signatures?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That being said, vote's currrently 12-8. I don't know how much longer to give it, but I think a week is fair. I guess play it by ear?

4+7=11

From my talks with Nick, we pretty much thought a week would be good. If more time is needed, we'll adjust accordingly. But with our numbers in the 30's, I doubt it'll be needed.

you act like you're on dial-up. DoJ's animated gifs take longer to load.

it's not a literal interpretation...

it has more to do with trying to read something while it keeps propping down and down as you try and read because someone's insanely large sig isn't done loading yet... so as you try and read it just keep hopping down and down, sometimes it'll sit there for a second just enough for you to read it and then suddenly it jumps down like 1/4 or 1/5 of the screen

36 votes? im impressed. let's go for an even 40!

really though, once we get past the battle of the egos, there's still a few questions regarding iframes:

1) if were all cool with it, what size can a sig be before its iframed?

2) is poor stilly gonna have to host everybody's who needs an iframe, or can we work something else out?

3) hows it implemented? we could easily have a new member come on with a long-ass sig, iframe it & message him to let him know, but if its been outsourced and he/she wants to change or modify it, isnt that option now gone, unless its worked out with stillb - every time that person wants to edit their sig? you see where im going here.

you can create an overflow for the signatures

I went here and asked and they responded with this:

It'd be better to stick an overflow value on it I think...

Try, open CSS advanced, and add at the bottom:

.signature { height: 150px; overflow: auto; }

Change the "150px" to the maximum height you want to allow for them.

cool, ill try this later this week when i got time. again, though, fairly sure he's talking about within each skin's menu, and weve got a lot of that (its why i didnt spoiler tag everyone of em in the day) so its not a unified answer and could take a lot of time/work on my end to implement; dont expect it to run overnight. i might beta it in town square first if anything. good effort either way though, man.

again, this wouldn't really 'limit' them.

the way it would work is just like Maldron's iFrames, except it would be built into the signature panel and automatically, after 'x' size is reached, a scroll bar appears next to it so you can scroll down (on the sig) to see the rest of it.

the best example is if you press fast reply: If you type more, insert more than the space that's there, a scroll bar automatically appears on the right so you can scroll up/down to see the rest. Same principle, only it isn't voluntary.

well for me, i honestly don't see the point of having a sig longer than the cutoff point where the scroll kicks in.

who's really gonna scroll down just for a sig?

that's the point.

if people don't WANT to see it, but want to see others, this allows them to do it. For those that DO want to see it, there's a way for that, too, and it doesn't screw over the boards.

what size were you thinking?

this size?

* playing roughly

Archived