Hondo's Bar

Campaign to Limit Signatures

archangel

Should we post a limit on Signatures?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm late to the referendum, but I want to get in my share of petty bickering and ad hominem attacks too, so here goes.

There are certain foundational truths here at Hondo's, two in particular that are relevant. Principle number one...

Jax is an asshole.

He's probably the most delighted about having a thread, a hit poll and a controversy over his stupid sig.

The fact that Archangel decided to play to his attention whore ways brings us to the second relevant principle: Archangel doesn't know how to deal with people.

Since we're neck deep in the shit already, however...

---------------------

My default position, is naturally, FREEDOM for whatever you want.

Archangel saying this is not about Freedom of speech AT ALL, is bullcrap if you accept that Hondo's want its members have said freedom (which the admin has said that he does).

Dr. Girlfriend made the most convincing case, however. Like her, I have struggled to load sigs. I've accepted it as the price of doing business, but now that I realise that extra large sigs are affecting the functionality of the place, not just being an annoyance, I'll say some kind of limit is necessary (ONLY so long as some of us are limited by load speed)

-----------------

Finally, kudos to Stillbored for coming up with a technological solution.

couldn't resist, could you?

The fact is, Jumbie, this isn't a case of Freedom of Speech. The POST is freedom of speech. The SIG is a customization for flavor. If that is interfering with other's 'right' to speech, then it must be curtailed for the purposes of actual Speech, not some illusory 'I wanna be a dick' factor.

And, again, this had nothing to do with 'not knowing how to deal with jax'. this was necessary to gauge exactly where the public stood on this issue, what was thought, and how to proceed.

It achieved that goal (snarky, condescending comments aside)

Won't they still be loading just the same as always, regardless of whether you have an additional frame for them? Don't get me wrong, I think the sig-frame-thign is a great idea. Just not sure that it'll help with the load times.

which sucks.

sure, you cut your load time down significantly, but then you can't read their post.

the best solution is for people to agree on a reasonable size. The second best is an option which you can block out people's sigs. the third, the overflow.

Yeah, but then you can easily click on the "view post" link

which loads their sigs

or reply to thier post, which'll only load the post text.

and you'd have to do this every time they post. So, if they're in the middle of a discussion you walked in on, you have to do that to read it, go back and finish reading, then reply

and you'd have to do it each post they had

DoJ:

then the auto resize function.

dont images in sigs get autosized like most others? well, come to think of it, im not sure the new additions to jax are getting autosized.

arch:

don't know how much it'll change next week when I move.

i dont know what you have back home, but again (pretty sure i told you): @#$% camco-shit has a monopoly here, so no comcast. my recommendation is the highest speed bellsouth offers, its not too much.

Archived