Hondo's Bar

Kick-Ass

Maldron

(although knowing Baytor he probably loves it alongside the rest've you fuckin' retards).

Haven't read it. John Romita Jr. doesn't phase me in the least, doesn't upset me but I'm not like "John Romita Jr. FUCK YES!", Millar is hit or miss with me. The premise here just sounds like Flaming Carrot only serious and I prefer my Flaming Carrot not to be flying dead dog-less. I'll check this out eventually but now is not that time.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I just read the first two issues and I'ma be honest, Skeet, I didn't hate it. I'll admit I've had this ghost of an idea for some time but I was never really sure how to put it into action. It's not great but I am interested and I am very interested to see where it's going. Give it time, I mean Christ it's the second issue, I mean if this was Marvel Comics Gunbattle Slapfight Ultra Crossover 08 yeah I'd be behind you but it's an original idea with potential.

• 4 weeks later...

Just read # 3 - what the fuck happened at the end there?! that shit was insane. I'm loving this book.

also, the myspace/youtube shit is fun, but what really hit home for me was the scene with him on the rooftops, thinking about how he's gonna get around the city. That scene...cmon, we've all thought it, no?

• 2 months later...

you still havent read the first issue, have you? christ.

I get it: we all know Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. sucked, and I havent dug JRJR since uh, Man Without Fear and some spidey covers. but again, its such a fun book...its like every fan boy's dream, but gone south...i mean, its Millar at the helm. the guy's done more that youve loved than many, bru-hater.

I still stand on the BaytorHayt soapbox on this one.

Dammit, nobody's on that box unless I'm on there with them. Don't make me release the hounds!

God a series has never progressed so slow, I'm not sure if I love this series yet but it is interesting and it's at least holding my gnat-like attention span.

A fucking movie? 3 issues in? Fucking hell I hate to say it but I may need to go back to #1 with this one. I'm so :pirate: ing it though. Fuck Millar & Romita, they don't deserve my dollars.

Let's be honest. When "Wanted" is considered movie-worthy the sky is the limit.

Oh but--- Ahh, you weren't a fan of the book. Yeah that shit still makes me sad, and inspite of the fanboy soapbox I've been standing on & waving my preaching cock at everyone for the last year or so, Alana still hassles me on a daily basis asking when I'm gonna take her to see it. What makes me sad about Wanted the movie though is like the Punisher, the studio should look at the source material that realistically, they know can't see a cinema for the harsh rating it'd no doubt get, and decide, instead of some watered-down piece of shit adaption, why not just make a movie like it, at worst cite it as an influence, and every motherfucker'd eat it up instead of splitting fanboys down the middle and just having outsiders shrug and say meh.

I had a point but I forgot. I think the moral we need to take from here though is this: It's better to let the source material influence your work without openly adapting it, especially if you can't stay true to it, than to slap the recognised brandname on and rely on that to float the boat.

Oh but--- Ahh, you weren't a fan of the book. Yeah that shit still makes me sad, and inspite of the fanboy soapbox I've been standing on & waving my preaching cock at everyone for the last year or so, Alana still hassles me on a daily basis asking when I'm gonna take her to see it. What makes me sad about Wanted the movie though is like the Punisher, the studio should look at the source material that realistically, they know can't see a cinema for the harsh rating it'd no doubt get, and decide, instead of some watered-down piece of shit adaption, why not just make a movie like it, at worst cite it as an influence, and every motherfucker'd eat it up instead of splitting fanboys down the middle and just having outsiders shrug and say meh.

I had a point but I forgot. I think the moral we need to take from here though is this: It's better to let the source material influence your work without openly adapting it, especially if you can't stay true to it, than to slap the recognised brandname on and rely on that to float the boat.

It had a character made out of shit and we were meant to take this seriously. Even Garth Ennis isn't that fucked in the head.

a lotta good points from both - skeet's right, Constantine'd been fun if it wasnt named that.

and yeah, Millarworld was founded with pitching movies in mind; the artist goes for actors for a reason. i never saw it coincidental the label came up after Niles made like a mil when 30 Days of Night got bought...cant really blame any writer for wanting in on that.

• 1 month later...

Issue #4 has cemented this book into my elite pantheon of entertainment.

As far as the movie goes, I'm very skeptical that there's a 10 year old kid out there that could play a convincing Hit-girl.

She handled those knives like a fucking surgeon!

I really hope Millar doesn't try to tie this book in with any of his other Marvel work. Specifically the 1985 thing. It could very easily turn into one of those books that starts strong and ends up silly and predictable.

So far, so good though. My fingers are crossed.

• 2 weeks later...

So the Kick-Ass film has gotten the comic book movie kiss of death: Nicolas Cage.

And as Big Daddy no less.

Color me disappointed.

I think the last thing I saw Nic Cage in that I actually liked was Adaptation, and that was what, 5 or 6 years ago? What has he done for me lately?

Looks like McLovin' got dumped for some pretty-boy I've never heard of.

Geezus I wish people would just appreciate the things only comix can do and stop using them as a stepping stone into Hollywood.

I guess we'll find out how badly this turns out next summer.

I would love to be wrong.

• 5 months later...
Looks like McLovin' got dumped for some pretty-boy I've never heard of.

This is old news to anyone who viewed the Kick-Ass movie thread (where I guess this belongs... :blink:), but McLovin (who I found out is about to be 20...wtf....) is still in the film, only as The Red Mist.

Anyone still reading this? I dug the last issue. I heard the TPB is coming out this June, so I'm assuming Millar is gonna kick it into high gear and pop at least 3 or 4 more issues out before then. I'm all for giving art all the time it needs to ripen, but I would really appreciate some deadlines being met now and again. We know it's not JRJR's fault, that dude's a hack-and-a-half. I bet he shits out an issue in a long afternoon, with enough time for some Fantastic Four and Hulk in the evening.

• 1 month later...

Why are there no torrents for new Issues?!?!1

Also, Nicholas Cage isn't the kiss of death per se, he still has small glimpses of what he was back in the 90s. I mean The Weather Man (I warn you, you will have to watch it no less than 3 times to like it) and Lord of War were both good Cage performances and Ghost Rider may've been a bit much but was still a far cry from shit like Wicker Man. Besides, Hit Girl and Big Daddy are just cheap Millar knock-offs of Smiley Face and Panda from Body Bags anyway.

we need to talk about issue # 6. shit wasnt right!

haha which part? big daddy usin his little girl for target practice or red mist bein a douchebag..... well super douchey this time :ohface:

Archived