Hondo's Bar

Kick-Ass

Maldron

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In hindsight, I'm a little surprised that I didn't figure something was fishy with Red Mist in the first place. The dude has got a lot of money behind him. Mist Mobiles don't come cheap.

I really can't see McLovin' doing this part now. I think a point needs to be made that Red Mist needs to be cooler than Kick-Ass, more grown up a little stubbly ect.

And Big Daddy pumping bullets into Hit Girls chest was my favorite scene.

• 4 months later...
Given recent developments Nicholas Cage is now perfect for Big Daddy. I'm not sure how I feel about where this is going, whether it's interesting or just another bullshit ultraviolent Millar ending. Suppose I'll wait till I read #8.

this. its Millar, so it fucking hinges on if he pulls off the ending or not.

really, really gotta get a "DC++ intro" thread going for you guys. you shouldnt be waiting on torrent sites, much less ratio-keeping ones, for comics.

Baytor--Nic Cage is in this film? Interesting. Maybe that's why he dropped outta Green Hornet as the villain?

#7 was on Demonoid if you check the minutemen/0Day packs. (If it ever fucking comes back up.)

And Cage was never any more than "in talks" for Green Hornet so he didn't really drop so much as just pissed off.

• 3 months later...
Yes, calling half of one book shoddily written equals hatred in this house.

how do you differentiate halves of Wanted as being poorly written? Seriously, looking at everything Millar has done to date, I'd say Wanted was his most unique contribution with possible exception given to OML, which was effectively the same story with reversed perspective. Anything else could easily have been done by someone else, or possibly has, and therefore if you hate Wanted, you hate Millar.

I'm compltely dumbfounded as to how Baytor has the balls to rate Kick Ass over Wanted. If there's a thread for this peesashit comic over in comics I'll take this rant over there, but I'm struggling after issue four to continue. What started out as a different idea has become warmed-over knights Punisher, the Holy & Elite easily interchangeable with Hit Girl and Big Daddy. Are you fellas really that fucking wowed by the shock value of a ten year old girl saying cunt? Fuck me, go read early Batgirl if you like lethal girls, and if you really want shock value, go read the newest issue of Powers.

Will probably make an interesting enough movie, but fuck it's a chore of a comic.

if you're reading it for hit-girl, you're doing it wrong.

its a fun book, messing about with an interesting concept, not unlike wanted. why one has to be liked and the other loathed/rated poorly in its shadow is beyond me, though.

Wasn't comparing the two, but they drew comparison for content and characterisation. Also, thanks for moving this here.

Hated the first 4 issues, actually kinda dug the last three which didn't suck in sharp contrast to how it started out. Interested to see how the movie shapes up/ the book ends- whichever comes first.

book better end first.

so wait, you took to the last issues better?

did the reveal about big daddy guy and more violence with hit girl work for you, or red mist's betrayal, or wha was missing prior that you enjoyed more?

you were quite hateful earlier today.

how do you differentiate halves of Wanted as being poorly written?

Okay, there's the half of the book where Millar writes a unique and interesting story that hooked me into reading the cunting thing in the first place. At this point I can get past the fact that the protagonist is a doucheier Slim Shady because it's interesting. Then we reach the rising action and from there it's a fucking insane orgy of over-the-top blood and f words that serves no purpose other than to give people who like that kinda shit their money shots. Then the book comes out with a bullshit plot twist at the end and then slowly fizzles out the way all Millar books do. (He needs to learn to end the book once the story is finished, not continue it.)

So, in summary: Everything up until pseudo-Lex Luthor (don't remember his name) asks Fuckwit to drive him home = Good.

Everything after that = Retarded juvenile bullshit that barely even counts as story.

If the book had kept going where it was going and not where it went, I would have liked the whole thing. But instead he decided to rewrite The Pro with supervillains to finish out his little saga so I didn't.

Kick-Ass on the other hand, was more like the Wanted movie which was so goddamn stupid it was charming even when it started bringing in magic looms and plots that had nothing to do with source material.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, issue 8 came out this week and I just finished it. Pretty good stuff. I'm guessing this will be how the film ends--unless of course they don't

kill off Big Daddy like in issue #7 cuz Cage wants to do a sequel.

Despite all the violence and gore

they even put in a chunk of his "tunk" flying off. So SICK!

I think what made my stomach churn the most was when our hero

is back to being the normal loser and the girl he likes sends him a pic of her sucking another guy's dick, and then Kick-Ass admits to fap'n to the pic while he cries himself to sleep at night.

So hilariously wrong.

• 2 months later...

Decided to read this before i watched the movie, I was expecting the series to be longer for reason. I liked it, and i haven't read any comics for quite some time due to the fact i rarely find any that are worth hunting for.

And yeah, Mr. H, wrong, but so right!!!

i really didn't feel anything when

Big Daddy died. It was a major let down to have so much background between Hit Girl and Big Daddy shoved into a montage of sorts.

i guess that's what you get with shorter series tho.

Yeah, Millar definitely had much more disdain for the protagonist in KICK-ASS than the film version. I actually thought the way they handled

Big Daddy's death in the film was an improvement on the book. Ditto for his origin story not being a sham like in the comic.

I'm not sure which Big Daddy version I liked more, though I admit movie version seemed less bullshit than comic version. (Admittedly both require a large suspension of disbelief)

On the one hand they treated the main character better in the movie, but on the other hand he never actually got to beat anyone up in the movie which disappointed me.

Archived