Hondo's Bar

Should iframes be used to contain large signatures?

Should iframes be used to contain large signatures?  

26 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chief, we don't WANT to turn off ALL sigs because of ONE or TWO people. We shouldn't be forced to because, as was stated, the specific reason given for the long sig is specifically to annoy everyone.
This isn't an arguement or a debate. Believe me I'm not trying to have a conversation with you. My mind was already made up, this is obscenely retarded.

You fuckin' leave Hulk Hands out of this.
Eat me. Edited by BigChiefSlapaho
This isn't an arguement or a debate. Believe me I'm not trying to have a conversation with you. My mind was already made up, this is obscenely retarded.

Silly me. I forget myself. I forgot, it was CHIEF who spoke, therefore all of our opinions on the subject, the opinions of 14 people, mean nothing. How silly of me.

prick

Thank you, I love compliments.

You're so vain you thought that sentence was about you!

Don't get it twisted , I'm not one of those anime guys you like to act tough around. I know EXACTLY the kind of bitch you are, we proved that on Saturday. Be mindful of your words.

Right. False offenses taken from a joke gone wrong is one thing, and I apologized for that.

You acting like a prick is quite another. Believe what you will, it's your right, but don't offhandedly and condescendly dismiss the opinions and concerns of 16 other board members like that.

Again: this is NOT about me, so stop making it about me.

and if you act like a prick, I'm going to call you one, much like you've done in the past to me. so fair is fair.

I know I don't post here often, but I do read the board almost daily. I quietly agree with the signature length issue, I think there are a number of people whose signatures could stand to be cut down or masked somehow. And as such, I think the iFrame idea is great. I don't think there's a way to build it into the board itself, and to try would be silliness since not everyone agrees with it. But, I feel like there are at least SOME reasonable people here who either will cut down the size of their sig or at least try the iFrame option in order to sate the masses. So, props to you, Stillbored.

-Takes a rice krispie treat and retreats back to her corner-

eh, this just goes to show that JAX was never looking for compramise (sp).

"oh I was gonna til you said something, now Im not"

ok, so a sensible solution was made to let you keep your very same sigs and please all the little people too...

"oh well I will just maximize the iFrame to get my point across b/c you all dont like it"

ok, so you are a stubborn kid, and thats fine. I like JAX and not gonna let a sig issue derail a forum based friendship, but I turned sigs off b/c its just silly to see other people being silly. The deal is, your points have been made, both arch and JAX, anything further is just a dead horse beating/ circle jerking/ non progressive hissy fit argument. If you were in fact going to reduce the sigs like you said you were, then go ahead and do so. If you want to put it in an original sized iFrame like Stilly demonstrated, then do that too. If you dont want to be mature about it, then just say you dont want to be mature about it and then hopefully the mature people will agree that its a moot point and just move on with their lives. Either way, lets just do what it is you are going to do, but be man enough to stand by it and let us know instead of standing by and waiting for JAX dickery to unfold even more. I'm a dick at times too, so dont take it as a scold, just do what it is you are gonna do and let us know so we can be done with this sillyness. Thanks and remember to fill up your brake fluid and power steering fluid.

oh, and sweep your front porch , cuz damn!

*cuts through the awkwardness like a liquid sword*

here's the thing: no, to my knowledge, iframes cant be written into the board. theyre a great solution, however, and we could figure if a sig's more than, i dunno (ballpark) one page scroll, we agree to toss em in there or something.

the reason jax isnt playing ball is cause he (and others, including panch and part of the anti crowd) feel this is something more about egos than solution, that this is arch extending his will onto the board. he can say what he likes, but again, both he and jax are polarizing figures, and i know there's a crowd on both sides - SB & co on one saying they just want to not have to wade through sigs, ly & co on the other saying they dont want what they define as free speech hampered - but in its current state, even with a solid measure like this one, its gonna stay at a stalemate until both parties reach a point where jax doesnt feel mob rule with arch spearheading it forced him to compromise, and arch doesnt feel its jax singlehandedly holding this motion back.

note that im not condoning all this, im letting everyone know where it is right now, as i see it. if youre looking to me for answers on how to placate both egos simultaneously, hey, ive got about 5MB of digital land left to sell you for a great price.

except it'll never work, Nick, and this shows why.

yes, I am polarizing. But I started this in good faith, only to have Panch and Jax and Co throw it in my face and ignore everyone else there. Christ, there are close to 30 votes on this and everyone is focusing on me.

So, basically, when it comes down to things there's really only two options left to me: have someone else start the thread and quietly vote and never mention what I think lest people thing i'm trying to 'force my will' on the boards, nevermind the throng of people that agree with me and nevermind that I made it a point on consensus.

and, unfortunately, Jax IS singlehandedly holding this motion back mostly because he is the biggest perp behind this.

And this is the fucked up part: for people like Panch (and I love you buddy, but this is true) and others it's more about taking sides than anything else. This became a popularity contest (at least on that side) and that's what I was trying desperately to avoid.

I really want the opinions of everyone else to be heard on this, so I'm begging you guys on the other side to read their concerns and forget me. I know I'm an asshole, fine, hate me, whatever. But again, and I can't stress this enough, this isn't about me.

I have to agree with arch on this one. Hes being reasonable, Jax is not. Sigs are long yes but what can ya do about it without people kickin up shit and going on about "How I thought this was an anti censorship joint". Democracys' a bitch aint it?

• 2 years later...

Good times, Hondo's. Good times.

Anyway, I'm all for frames coming back. Personally I have sigs turned off. Takes too long to load when I'm using my iPhone. However, I love the sig banner ASC made me, but I think it's a bit large. Hopefully the frames would allow it's magnificence to carry on w/out hampering anyone's enjoyment of scrolling through threads--unless you're on a mobile device that is, in which case you should disable the sigs option anyway. :D

Or not, I've loved being able to actually see sigs again. They only show once per page anyway so loading isn't that bad.

Only once per page? I thought when I was at your place and browsing here as a guest that I saw the same sigs repeatedly on one page?

Only once per page? I thought when I was at your place and browsing here as a guest that I saw the same sigs repeatedly on one page?

Nope, if you'd sigs turned on you'd see that your sig only displayed for your first post on this page, not this one.

again, iframe borders are coming back as soon as we can get them sorted for this update, rest assured. scrolling past obnoxious sigs even once a page is more than enough.

again, iframe borders are coming back as soon as we can get them sorted for this update, rest assured. scrolling past obnoxious sigs even once a page is more than enough.

Fine but can they be a reasonable resolution this time?

they're gonna stay at the previously-agreed upon parameters.

if you wanna ask "why can't we have nice things", look at benny's current sig, for one. this is what happens when you ask people to be respectful of others (work, viewing from mobile, etc) - they kinda shit on things. this way, you guys can put as much junk as you want in them, and no one's gotta see it if they don't want to.

they're gonna stay at the previously-agreed upon parameters.

if you wanna ask "why can't we have nice things", look at benny's current sig, for one. this is what happens when you ask people to be respectful of others (work, viewing from mobile, etc) - they kinda shit on things. this way, you guys can put as much junk as you want in them, and no one's gotta see it if they don't want to.

They're even smaller now, what's the point of allowing us to have signatures when there's almost no room to display anything? I'm not asking for huge iframes, just maybe 750 x 400, or something along those lines.

They're even smaller now, what's the point of allowing us to have signatures

hmm...now there's an idea... :hmm:

working on parameters, but people with small/reasonable sigs right now can be seen just fine. i might expand to 300px tops if i can get the borders to work and not have excess space for people with smaller/ideal sigs, but honestly, there's no way in hell we're going for the size you're talking about. as it is, people can totally see benny's huge sig if they want to, and skip it if they don't...it's a good compromise. if you need a dozen pics in your sig for some reason...put your favorite up top!

All I want is the ability to see one normal sized pic, not Benny's current sig or Jax's old one. One picture is what I'm asking for, for example the banner's I'm making (with my own two hands) for the Hondies cannot be viewed as it stands. Don't you think that's a tad drastic? Would it really kill anybody to see one picture per sig?