Hondo's Bar

Reverend Jax

Anyway, I agree w/ your analogy that S2=

Empire. Although I re-watched ESB this weekend, and I think Aang whines less in 3 seasons than I Luke does in his entire 10 minutes on Dagobah.

Aang's not the

whiny Skywalker of the show. Zuko is. Ironic, since Mark Hamill is his father.

• 1 month later...

So IGN did a list of their Top 10 favorite Avatar: The Last Airbender episodes, and since we're all trying to forget the movie, remembering the show is either a good way to do that, or a terrible way to do that. Lists like this are always fun because no one ever agrees with them exactly, and you can have fun making your own and debating with other fans.

I'm not sure how to make a list that counts down rather than up, so I posted this list in reverse. The Storm was IGN's top pick.

1. 112 - The Storm
  2. 120 - The Siege of the North Part 2
  3. 207 - Zuko Alone
  4. 306 - The Avatar and the Firelord
  5. 215 - The Tales of Ba Sing Se
  6. 220 - The Crossroads of Destiny
  7. 313 - The Firebending Masters
  8. 209 - Bitter Work
  9. 113 - The Blue Spirit
  10. 321 - Sozin's Comet Part 4 - Avatar Aang

I'd put Part 3 of Sozin's Comet rather than Part 4. I wouldn't put The Tales of Ba Sing Se or Bitter Work on the list, though I like both, and I wouldn't put The Firebending Masters, as it's one of my least favorite episodes. Whittling down the list of some of the episodes I'd consider replacing those 3 with include The Waterbending Master, The Blind Bandit, Lake Laogai, The Guru, The Awakening, The Day of Black Sun Part 2: The Eclipse, The Ember Island Players and The Southern Raiders.

I love the fact that IGN choose The Storm as their #1 episode. It can get forgotten as the scale of the show gets larger in Books 2 and 3, but I think it's Book 1's best episode and one of the show's most under-appreciated ones. No single episode teaches you more about what has shaped Aang's and Zuko's personalities, not to mention their destinies.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes. Details are unclear, but it seems that Nickelodeon has registered the name Avatar: The Legend of Korra. One website reports that the series will take place 100 years after Avatar: The Last Airbender. If that's true, it's likely Aang will live to be about 100 (biologically, though 200 in reality since he was in the iceberg for 100 years), and Korra will be the Water Tribe Avatar that succeeds him. Korra sounds like a Water Tribe name, because alot of the Water Tribe characters had K's in them: Sokka, Katara, Kanna, Kya, Hakoda, Arnook, Kuruk, Pakku as well as a few others (there are also alot of Z's in Fire Nation names: Zuko, Azula, Ozai, Azulon, Sozin, Zhao, Kuzon). Since some characters in the Avatar world live well over 100 years old (Bumi-112, The Guru-150, Avatar Kyoshi-230, Sozin-102,

Lion Turtle

-Super-duper old), it's possible some characters from ATLA, particularly the younger ones, could appear as old characters in ATLK. And the Spirit World characters and all the Avatar's past lives could also make appearances.

There are also rumblings that apart from this new series, there may be a distinct mini-series. Many are hoping this would be used to address unanswered questions from the show, but that's just speculation. My hopes are for a mini-series on Iroh's life. Lord knows that could be interesting.

And yes, series creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko are heading it up, but who knows how many members of their creative team they will be able to get back.

Needless to say, I'm very optimistic.

There are also rumblings that apart from this new series, there may be a distinct mini-series. Many are hoping this would be used to address unanswered questions from the show, but that's just speculation. My hopes are for a mini-series on Iroh's life. Lord knows that could be interesting.

COOL! I second the notion toward an Iroh mini-series.

I wonder who would be the antagonists in the new show...?

Edited by Senshik

• 6 months later...

So, Dark Horse is publishing some ATLA comics. First, a free comic for Free Comic Book Day on May 7th, which will have two stories, one never-before published.

Then, on July 13th, they've got a 240 page collection called The Lost Adventures. It seems it will be mostly stories previously published in Nickelodeon Magazine, with over 70 pages being new. Most of the previously published Nick were written with input from the show's writers and are canonical (all but one, which was written based on the submissions of a reader contest). The collection will feature 26 short stories. Here's the cover art.

I don't really care for the expression on Aang's face, but the art itself is good.

Then, in early 2012, Dark Horse will start publishing new stories in "digest-style original graphic novels—conveniently sized paperback collections," picking up after the end of the show's finale. At this point the new show, The Legend of Korra will already have premiered and we'll have some idea about how the world of Avatar took shape after the end of the war, but this story will follow the Aang Gaang in rebuilding the war torn world.

Also, seems Australia got a complete series box set. The front looks potentially awesome.

4399523.jpg

I would not re-buy the show on DVD for a cool box slip case, but I hope they one day remaster the show for 1080p Bluray and include new features...

Edited by Reverend Jax

• 6 months later...

Then, in early 2012, Dark Horse will start publishing new stories in "digest-style original graphic novels—conveniently sized paperback collections," picking up after the end of the show's finale. At this point the new show, The Legend of Korra will already have premiered and we'll have some idea about how the world of Avatar took shape after the end of the war, but this story will follow the Aang Gaang in rebuilding the war torn world.

Looks like this has been announced here. Part 1 of 3 will drop January 25th, 2012.

18604-1.jpg

This three part series will bridge Avatar: The Last Airbender with The Legend of Korra, and it will be canon with input from the series creators Mike Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. The story "weaves a tale of a world learning the ways of peace after a century of war. It is a difficult lesson, one that will threaten to tear the friendship of Avatar Aang and Fire Lord Zuko apart, and plunge the world back into war." Everybody knows that conflict is the essence of drama, so it's good to know it's not all peace and tranquility in an age of rebuilding for this 70 year period.

It will be written by multiple Eisner Award winner Gene Luen Yang. Interestingly, he is very familiar with the show, and was outspoken against the casting decisions made by Shyamalan/Paramount (whomever was ultimately responsible) on his blog. He even made a webcomic about his feelings on it:

Airbender-Comic2.gif

Mike Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko have been silent about the movie since very early on in the film's preproduction. There has been some evidence that they disagreed with the casting and other early decisions and did not like the final product. It would be fair to venture that they are contractually obligated to refrain from speaking ill of the film. It would be very safe to guess that even if they weren't contractually obligated, they have chosen to not upset Paramount, whom own Nickelodeon and all the intellectual property rights to all things Airbender and are the gate-keepers to further exploring that world, with or without them.

I don't know if Mike Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko hand-picked Gene Luen Yang for this project, or if that was Dark Horse's doing, but whoever hired him knew about his public proclamations and they clearly are not bothered by it or they completely agree with him.

Edited by Reverend Jax

Huh, I never really thought of Aang as looking "Asian" in the series. Interesting take on the film though. Good for that guy for boycotting the film right from the get-go w/ casting. He spared himself the torture of watching that series be so royally shat on in terms of plot and characterization.

The new comic looks interesting. The fact it's a sett hree part arc bodes well in my book. January seems so far off though . . .

:sad:

Huh, I never really thought of Aang as looking "Asian" in the series.

Yeah, a lot of people (especially non-Asians) have said that, saying that if he were supposed to be white, he's have slanty eyes and yellowy skin. Someone photoshopped Aang to show what he would have look like it the creators intended for him to be white.

Aang as he is.

aang.jpg

Aang if he were white.

3711527905_a65a6cf9d2_o.jpg

Aang if he were an Asian caricature.

3711527845_d03fd229be_o.jpg

So yeah, he could be a character named Aang dressed like a Tibetan Buddhist and also be white.

The_World_of_Tibetan_Buddhism.jpgAang_044.jpg

And maybe the characters that live in Tokyo named Kaneda is white too and could be played by Leonardo DiCaprio.

leo-dicaprio-akira-kaneda.jpg

:bored:

Edited by Reverend Jax

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

When you say the very last episode, do you mean the entire 4-part finale, or do you mean you've already seen Sozin's Comet parts 1 through 3?

Anyway, I want to hear some of your thoughts. Who were you favorite characters, favorite villains, favorite episodes, favorite scenes? Where you surprised by Zuko in the Book 2 finale? What did you think of the world-building, and how do you think the mythology holds up to other modern mythologies (is it worthy of comparison to fantasy franchises like Star Wars, LotR, Harry Potter, etc)?

Anyway, the show is really great, isn't it? The sequel series is a real set up in production value, so I highly recommend the Bluray or a good 1080p rip.

Edited by Reverend Jax