Hondo's Bar

Indie/Alternative comics

The NZA

• 4 weeks later...

i had no idea.

icbw_blog.gif

Yeah, I'm not sure about the day/week discrepancy either. I do know that Diamond isn't shipping the regular Marvel/DC/Image/Dark Horse/Whatever comics this Wednesday, and those comic creators not affiliated with "The Man" are trying to claim the week as their own. Hence, Indy Comic Week.

If you want to learn more, the movement has its own web page here, but this is the page with all the comics that are coming out this week, and, just as importantly, all the stores that will be selling them. If you want to learn more about some of the titles, Comic Book Resources' Robot 6 has a great series of profiles on some of the comics. And I want to give a shout-out to frequent TR commenter RobP's comic Unstoppable Force, which features a superteam including Abraham Lincoln, Miyamoto Musashi and Joan of Arc (and others) fighting a giant magic statue of Stalin. RobP was the one who alerted me to Indy Comic Week in the first place, so you see Unstoppable Force, you check that shit out.

JZA: nay. maybe one day, but for now, your self-delusion about Invincible, Walking Dead and much of Kirkman's work will be a bitter reminder of what you did wrong.

Good god man, you're such a pop culture whore if you can find a way to excuse what he did to Ultimate Xmen.

O/T: i enjoyed Ultimate Marvel Team-Up somewhere where you didnt (i remember really digging the Punisher/DD/Spidey story, for one). Kirkman was hit-or-miss on UXM but honestly, i was down on that book by the later end of Bendis' run, and i absolutely loved his act 1 shit (blockbuster). Apocalypse was meh, he tried with Mojoworld and did ok by me given how shitty a story that always was. The cable/wolvy thing, i somehow never really formed an opinion on, there's worse in that book now that you've read it whole. on his worst day, he entertains me, and not in loeb's trainwrecky kinda way, so i still assume your odd hatred of him has something to do with his off-the-cuff defense of fellow comic writer/artist Liefeld, which was what it was.

tag's ironic to me cause you randomly fly off the handle on the absolutely most inane shit that you havent yet checked out, but read some angle or got pissy with some element of its fanbase or something similar. then later you check it out and halfway rescind your irrational hate (let's use Kick ass as an example, where you were like 90% emotional response to baytor before even reading it) and later make peace, long after i tell you to just shut up and give it a go without your crazy preconceived notions. i call it The JZA Cycle, myself, and marvel at it as i cautiously recommend quality things to you out of and odd half-fear some linkin park fan at your job overhyped it to you prior or the stars are misaligned or alanah had the gall to ask you to preheat the oven that day or something. my point is, you're a weird bastard with this.

Man, Kirkman is such a wanker. I could give a fuck about the Liefeld thing, I just can't stand the whole 'humble' thing where he fucking self-depricates the shit out of the industry in books like Invincible, markets himself as this nice guy of the industry when infact he's simply a self-glorifying wanker, and aside from the noted exceptions is a shit writer. Ennis wrote Preacher but that doesn't make him worth a tinker's damn on any other book(again with key exceptions). I think the vitriole that keeps this psuedo-Vendetta going is tripe like Marvel Zombies- it's the same kinda bandwagon-jumping or impossibly chic bullshit as this Scott Pilgrim shit. It's the fucking Citizen Kane of the set: noone likes the fucking movie but literary types will namedrop the shit out of it for some credibility, and eat it with heaping handfuls of hypocrsy(sp). Fans of shit like this just make me sad, and wish you could find a more constructive way to try and be unique instead of supporting the egos of cockheads like Kirkman. Fuck, the Indie industry for the most part runs on this principle for the most part. 'Oh, you haven't read Bone? Fuck you: you're not a real comic reader.'

Something tells me I'ma regret all that tomorrow

oh god ima have to move all of this later

this is where i call you a people-magazine (but with wizard?)-reading motherfucker. ive been to kirkman's board and still have no idea where you get these impressions of him personally. the only impressions i know are of artists/writers that were cool or snubbed me at a con. i dont even know how he "self-depricates the industry" on invincible. are you sure you dont mean ellis or ennis on superteam books? his shit feels more like homage with a fun twist, if anything, on that title.

marvel zombies was a fun, throwaway idea that banked. marvel wanted it milked, dude's on a work-for-hire contract and likes to eat well. looking at that series going far longer than it shouldve (baytor's right, last series at least tried new shit under a different writer) as a huge sin is weird and selective to me, but you've already got this image of the dude so i guess i cant argue?

the only point ill stand by is: you blow my mind with your "impossibly chic" Scott Pilgrim as-indie-personified shit. im fairly certain you've read some of the indie supes i have (madman, mage, starman, hellboy etc), as well as indie-almost-emo tales that some work for me, and yeah many are too similar in the so-indie-it-hurts-to-read kind that books like The Comics Journal eat up and mock the shit out of dudes like me for pretending to enjoy whilst somehow reading, say, Spawn once in a while and laugh from a high place. my point is, there's so, so many books in the vein of what you're describing (ask logan!), that Pilgrim, to me, was a lighthearted, fun book o' mostly enjoyable pop culture references flying in the face the stiff kinda shit you're pointing at. i understand your mileage may vary, i just dont get how you get that sentiment from a book i think had fun with itself in spite of the scene it comes from. i have no idea what analogy/impression youd get off a slice-of-life indie book like say Box Office Poison or Strangers in Paradise.

then again, the same Comics Journal crowd (true story: i tried repaying a favor to an editor there for hooking me up with an awesome issue of their 20 page ennis interview, and when i tracked down the issue of Savage Dragon the guy wanted and tried sending it to them, they literally made fun of me for trying to do so/having said book) would straight-up laugh at even Bone cause its so mainstream its not truly indie etc etc. fuck, if youd just align your hate properly, id so back you.

SCUD: The Disposable Assassin

Scod01.jpg

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac

johnny-homicidal-maniac-wierd.jpg

The greatest indie-comic Hero: THE MAXX

maxx.jpg

The%20Maxx.jpgThe%20Maxx.jpg

The greatest indie-comic Villain: GRENDEL

hero%20comics%20cover.jpg

He even took on Batman.

grendelvbatman.jpg

Grendel: Devil by the Deed (Hunter Rose)

2153-1.jpg

Grendel: Devil's Legacy (Christine Spar)

GrendelDL.jpg

Grendel: The Devil Inside (Brian Li Sung)

11003.jpg

Grendel: God and the Devil (Eppy Thatcher)

GrendelGD.jpg

Grendel: Devil's Reign (Orion Assante, Grendel Khan I)

GrendelDR.jpg

Grendel: War Child (Grendel Prime)

GrendelWC.jpg

Edited by Genroh

Wagner made a new Hunter Rose story called "Behold the Devil" in '08. Very good and well worth the read. He's also mentioned working on a new Grendel Prime story.

As for recommended reading:

Hunter Rose

Devil by the Deed (a collection of all of the Grendel shorts from Wagners Mage! comic and gives a sum up of the Hunter Rose story)

Black, White & Red (Collection of stories and redone chapters by various artists)

Red, White & Black (sequel to the above featuring Hunter's epic death scene)

Batman vs. Grendel (Hunter challenges Bruce to a battle of wits and skill with lives on the line and a rising body count)

Devil Child (the aftermath of Hunter's poor ward: Stacy Palumbo)

Behold the Devil (new)

Christine Spar

Devil's Legacy (excellent read)

Brian Li Sung

The Devil Inside (the art isn't anything to write home about though I for one like it, but the writing is tops)

Eppy Thatcher

God and the Devil (arguably the coolest Grendel story since Devil's Legacy and my personal favorite incarnation of Grendel)

Orion I

Devil's Regin (direct sequel to GatD. 2 stories going on here. One is a biography style of Orion's rise to power as the first Grendel Kahn and the other about Pellon Cross and the expansion of the vampires and their war with humanity)

^this one is slow compared to the rest but essential as it sets the stage for...

Grendel Prime

War Child (Part 3 in a sense. The Paladin known as Grendel Prime protects Orion's son and battles through the apocalyptic world created by Grendel)

Past Prime (a novel (not graphic novel) focusing on Susan Veraghen from War Child and her life and events with Prime)

Devil's Quest (set 104 years after War Child & Past Prime and explains Prime's time travel in the second Batman Grendel cross over and offers more glimpses into the future that Grendel has created)

Batman Grendel 2 (Hunter was a challenge, but Prime is death incarnate and the Bat is in the way of his "quest")

Grendel Tales

Various stories about other would be carriers of the mantle of Grendel.

Four Devils, One Hell

Devil May Care

Devils and Deaths

Homecoming

Devil in Our Midst

Edited by Genroh

• 6 months later...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I don't know who this husky gentleman is or why he had a TV show. He seems out of his element.

It's still a cool little interview.

Edited by Thelogan
spelling

I had a chance to read the first volume of Chew at a friend's house this last weekend. Cool little book. Paraphrased description:

Tony Chu is a cibopath, which means he can psychically read the history of anything he eats. If he eats an apple, he can see the orchard and tell what pesticides were used. If he eats a burger he has visions of slaughterhouse death, dirt and shit. He doesn't eat much. The only thing that doesn't give him a psychic impression are beets. He eats a lot of beets.

Tony Chu is also a detective who employs his talents to solve crimes. The book involves a lot of cannibalism, much of it is even morally acceptable.

It ended on something of a cliffhanger and I'm itching to see how it resolves, I may just have to snag some monthlies. Kind of reminds me of Scud for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on.

sdk8qr.jpg

1z22lb7.jpg

man, comics community im on loves this shit to death, and was all happy it's getting a TV series or something...ive read 2-3 issues and just couldn't get into it, myself.

willing to finish the first arc on your say-so, logans.

Fuck, I don't wanna stake my reputation on this

All I read was 1-5, it still seems like it's just getting rolling. It looks like the 2nd trade is out so I won't be resorting to the infernal pamphlet format just yet.

I'm totally a sucker for a concept that I think is cool. I'm more apt to stick around and give something a chance when I think there's potential for something awesome. But I've been burned before. I liked the first book enough to want to read more.

I hadn't heard of the TV show. That's awesome.

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

GOD BLESS YOU, DARK HORSE!

1310214256.jpg

Milk & Cheese complete coming out later this year.

- The book will feature over 80 pages of comics that have not been collected before.

- There will be a 24-pg color section featuring all the color M&C strips, a cover gallery, pin-ups, merchandise art, trading cards, etc.

- There will also be a 24-pg B&W supplemental section featuring pin-ups, t-shirt designs, and other art, etc.

- The book will include the rare 1997 M&C Special Edition 16-pg mini-comic featuring the expanded “Darth Vader Overdrive” strip and extras.

- The only M&C-related comic that will not be in the collection is the M&C/Pirate Corp$! strip from Munden’s Bar Annual #2.

- Some very swell folks gave us some very nice back cover quotes.

- The book should be hefty enough to hurt anyone hit over the head with it.

- The book should be pretty freaking awesome.

240 pages. EVERY Milk & Cheese strip from 1989-2010. Hardcover. $20! (?!?)

I have a trade that has like four issues in it, but this...THIS...HOLEY MOLEY!

Well, my christmas shopping is done.

• 7 months later...