Hondo's Bar

Indie/Alternative comics

The NZA

Jim Woodring starts a kickstarter-ish campaign to produce a new book, "Fran"

Jim Woodring is one of my favorites. Frank in the River sparked my interest when I was a kid. It was next to TMNT, and it probably shouldn't have been, but it was this crazy looking beaver thing and this bright airbrushed cover. So I got it.

Later that evening, I found myself really disturbed by Manhog.

xkdG9.jpg?1

The Frank books are pretty much silent. They require some study of each panel, since you don't have the option of just reading some words and moving on if you want a story. And studying each picture really pays off. He's such a good fucking artist. They're surreal, but they make sense and follow a pretty standard story structure.

And he's clearly insane. I love it.

Some random art examples.

rguJZ.jpg

T5D7Z.jpg

E17m7.jpg

XTdiS.jpg

bz6SE.jpg

Anyway, there's a few collected Frank books that are definitely worth checking out.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

relevant to some of youse interests!

GRENDEL OMNIBUS VOLUME 1: HUNTER ROSE TPB

Matt Wagner's masterpiece celebrates its thirtieth anniversary with the first-ever comprehensive collection of the complete Grendelsaga! The first of four volumes presenting the entire series and following the chronology of the stories, this edition introduces millionaire Hunter Rose and his alter ego, the criminal mastermind Grendel!

Volume 1 reprints Grendel: Devil by the Deed; the short story collections Grendel: Black, White, & Red and Grendel: Red, White, & Black, featuring a host of legendary guest artists; and the epic Grendel: Behold the Devil.

* The complete series, collected for the first time!

* 600 pages!

"Grendel is a brave and possibly even reckless experiment that has succeeded admirably." --Alan Moore (Watchmen)

$13.43 on Amazon

• 2 months later...

I went and saw Charles Burns and Chris Ware tonight, two guys that I greatly admire. They talked for a couple of hours, had a slide show and took questions, then just sort of hung out. There were only about 50 of us there, it was really, really cool.

Charles Burns is definitely a little crazy, in a great way, and Chris Ware is just brilliant. He had this bit on the way that time flows in the reader's head when reading a comic, and moving out and in on the Z-axis (which is hard for me to explain, because I am not brilliant) that pretty much blew my mind.

It was a good night.

• Upvote 2

nice man, that sounds pretty awesome - they came out to Austin or did you have to drive a bit?

god, a certain group of the indie crowd can't shout ware's name loud enough whenever there's a talk bout indie greats. i think jimmy corrigan might be my next miracle man (after kabuki anyway) in that "i meant to read this shit like a decade or so ago"

I went and saw Charles Burns and Chris Ware tonight, two guys that I greatly admire. They talked for a couple of hours, had a slide show and took questions, then just sort of hung out. There were only about 50 of us there, it was really, really cool.

Charles Burns is definitely a little crazy, in a great way, and Chris Ware is just brilliant. He had this bit on the way that time flows in the reader's head when reading a comic, and moving out and in on the Z-axis (which is hard for me to explain, because I am not brilliant) that pretty much blew my mind.

It was a good night.

Hi Thrizzle.

Did the question of a movie adaptation of Black Hole arise? I read that Fincher was attached and it seemed a pretty good fit but maybe it's in limbo now?

Cheers

• 2 months later...

Merged. There's another problem we never have to worry about again.

If ya'll have a question about what goes here, just ask yourself WWJH?*

*What Would JZA Hate?

If the answer is "this thing", then that thing probably goes here.

I was rereading Ed the Happy Clown recently, so here's a small excerpt, presented with zero context.

MOPs5.jpg?1

lP1EX.jpg?1

8ubQu.jpg?1

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

You've read it :love:

I did, and it's pretty great.

All credit goes to 'Baytor for Beasts of Burden. It's about a group of dogs, and a cat, who protect their town from supernatural forces. Written by Evan "Milk & Cheese" Dorkin and drawn like a storybook. Don't go in expecting anything like the tone M&C has. He's definitely trying something different here.

It's fun stuff.

ochUczU.jpg

yDpwUMj.jpg

Alas, I no longer own it. I had pretty much decided before I purchased it that this one was going to my kid. I read it, approved of it heartily, and passed it on.