Hondo's Bar

Californication

Finished watching the first season. Great stuff.

The characters are anchored but non-static. I felt they changed throughout the season in very believable but significant ways.

The ending was almost completely inevitable, and yet, by the time in came around, I didn't see it coming at all and it totally left me curious by tying up a chapter in Hank's story in a way that would have been perfect if the show had been canceled but left plenty to tell if it didn't.

Highly recommended. Thanks, Skeeter and Boogie.

• 2 years later...

So uh... How bout those next 3 seasons? :yup:

Posting because I just finished the season 4 finale and am very much reminded of the season 1 close. The show itself has lost a lot of it's vitriole and has more or less let all the characters become parodies of themselves, with a rotating cast of harder fucking & boozing men by which we compare Hank favourably. Still, lotta love for them all so I forgive the formulaic nature of the story.

Biggest gripe I have with this series is the logical closure points on which they end a series being ignored to then cash in on another season. Seasons 3 was the only one to end with a cliffhanger & inherent desire to see more, whereas seasons 1,2 & 4 end on a bittersweet note effective enough to completely sate any desire for more.

Archived