Video Game Movies

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH GOD ALEX WANST KIDDING DAMMIT SHIT

sotc_movie.jpg

Sony's brilliant PlayStation 2 game Shadow of the Colossus is becoming grist for the Hollywood blockbuster mill, in what appears to not, unfortunately, be a horrible, horrible joke. Might want to pour a stiff drink.

According to the Hollywood Reporter's Risky Biz Blog, Sony Pictures will be tackling Shadow of the Colossus for a movie adaptation with producer Kevin Misher, responsible for films such as The Scorpion King and The Interpreter, as well as the upcoming fighting movie Fighting. Now here's where it gets... rough. Got that drink yet?

The screenplay for the Shadow of the Colossus feature is reported to be penned by Justin Marks. He's the same man responsible for the not-so-great Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li, if that rings any bells.

The 2005 game, which focuses on the adventures of Wander and his horse Agro, was minimal on dialogue, so a filmed version would be... interesting.

No planned release date for the film, but hopefully we'll all be dead from a nuclear holocaust or black plague by that point.

I saw that movie on the first day, nerd-camping the theatre while listening to my FVIII soundtrack. I swore I'd always celebrate that day, but I always forgot it as the years went by. Still, I enjoyed Spirits Within, because it was a damn fine CG movie that looked good.

I think it worked mostly because it wasn't a Final Fantasy movie, but rather a movie from the Final Fantasy people. which really doesn't make me think of it as a video game movie. Sure, it has the name, but is there questionable male-on-male relationships or people casting firaga?

• 5 weeks later...
I just watched Double Dragon. Everyone who complained about Silent Hill and Max Payne needs to shut the fuck up and watch this movie and know what a true shitty video game adaptation is. I daresay it's on par with Mario Bros.

Probably. But they would've known that to be the case coming in.

Just saying, Max Payne and Silent Hill may dangerously teeter on the edge of mediocrity (I still maintain that they're only terrible if you're dumb enough to believe that the game either are based on was well-written or acted) but movies like Double Dragon make you truly appreciate what you've got.

max payne wasnt to bad, but the unrated version is the one to watch (it shouldnt have been pg13 in the first place) :) and i actually enjoyed doom. but if you dont watch it at all the end first person sequence is definitely worth a look. i still think silent hill is the best game based movie, but im not a fan of the SH games, which may be a factor :pinch:

• 5 weeks later...

WHY?????

Classic fighting game series King of Fighters is set to receive a grand Hollywood adaptation in the glorious tradition of Street Fighter and Dragonball.

The movie uses actors nobody has ever heard of, and in the best tradition of Hollywood dispenses with the game’s highly developed setting and atmosphere in favour of some story centring on mysterious multidimensional alien artefacts.

The extremely stylish 2D character designs are perhaps one of the major selling points of the series, so naturally Hollywood has discarded them. Their loss seems unlikely to be well received by fans, especially considering what they have been replaced with.

They already made 3 of them, they called them Pirates of the Caribbean. It had Edward Scissorhands, and Legolas, and that 12-year-old boy from Pride and Prejudice.

They were nowhere near as good or as funny as the monkey island games.

I refuse to believe either that anyone in that film was as rubbish a pirate as Guybrush!

The lack of murray or any kind of humourous talking skull also goes to contribute to how much these films don't deserve to be called Monkey Island films.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...