Hondo's Bar

Video Game Movies

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God dammit, Tekken was my last bastion of hope and it had a decent cast from the sound of things. They stayed away from vogue celebrities, I think with some better production values and if it didn't look like an episode of Dr. Who it might stand a chance. Still looks better than Legend of Chun-Li though.

Not the original Street Fighter movie though, it has a value of like a million Bison dollars.

Finally saw DOA this past weekend and I must say that it may be the best one of these movies, it completely doesn't take itself seriously at all, they at least try to keep to the fighting styles and it's no crazy extra plot for the movie, it's mostly a fighting tournement(though they do fuck up some characters) but basicly it's a fun watch and you see hot chicks wearing very little, must watch imo.

BTW WTF is up with finding the chick with the smallest chests to play the chicks who are supposed to be the most stacked?

time to get DOA beach vollyball again!

speaking of adaptations no one asked for, Dead Rising is getting a straight-to-video-looking flick

Didn't they make a Dead Rising movie like twice? Once in 1979 and again in 2004. Sorry, I don't want to be that guy, but talking about making Dead Rising into a movie is kind of like hearing they're making a book of Moby Dick.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

tekken-movie-poster-.jpg

Tekken (2010) [DVD]

D+

Terrible. Terrible fucking movie. Cheap effects. Corny dialogue. Horrendous delivery. Laughable costumes. Atrocious sountrack. And that's just five minutes into the movie, folks. Oh, and don't even get me started on the story. I can't knock it completely though. Tamlyn Tomita does an acceptable job in her short-lived depiction of Jun Kazama. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa was a decent Heihachi and Ian Anthony Dale stood out as a some-what badass Kazuya... some-what. Oh yeah, Luke Goss as Steve Fox was ok too... except he's bald and doesn't really box. Everyone else just looked the part (barely in some cases and not at all in others) and not much was contributed to their respective characters. Some of the choreography was decent but overall it's easy to see why it didn't even make it to theaters (except in Japan). While no where near as bad as The Legend of Chun-Li, this movie can at least be viewed for some of the fights and a gratuitous amount of ass shots via Christie Monteiro. But even then, view at your own risk. As a semi Tekken fan, I didn't want to see it, I felt like I had to. It kinda hurt.

30bh2qq.gif

Where the hell were Paul, King and Kuma??

• 3 months later...

Uncharted movie!

...featuring Marky Mark as Drake, DeNiro as Nate's dad (???), and Joe Pesi as his...uncle?

WahlbergDuhHappening.jpga1fe11d3gswd.jpg

00nathandrakeasnathanfillon02.jp.jpg2lwnomp.gif

i mean, i get that Nathan Filion is like box office poison somehow, but uh, i hope one of those dudes is somehow Sullivan and saves this from being Max Payne'd.

edit: while were at it...my crazy vote for sully!

bruce-campbell.jpg

Man, the one video game that has got to be the hardest to fuck up on the big screen is already getting shat all over (bird shat apparently :P) Next thing you know Renee Zel-Wedger will be cast as Elena.... I'm all for Bruce Campbell as Sully though :D

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Shadow of the Colossus!

Right now in Hollywood, a small army is working on video game movies, hoping to to crack the code and make the elusive good adaptation. Seth Lochhead is now among the ranks. According to

The Hollywood Reporter, the writer of Hanna has just signed on to pen a script based on the Sony Playstation 2 game Shadow of the Colossus.

The project was announced in May with Josh Trank (Chronicle) set to direct. he’s overseeing the writing process, which began with a script by Justin Marks (Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li). In the video game you play Wander, a dude riding around on Argo in search of 16 giants called colossi. He has to fight and defeat each colossus in order to save a girl named Mono.

Trank is one of the busiest young directors in the business: In addition to this film, he’s also working on Fox’s Fantastic Four reboot and has also been mentioned in connection with a Venom movie and an adaptation of The Red Star.

Man this is one I really hope they don't fuck up. Really hope they keep the soundtrack.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, I don't know if this was mentioned elsewhere on Hondo's, but evidently, JJ Abrams' Bad Robot has teamed up with Valve to be the production company to adapted their properties in movies (or TV, hypothetically), with Half-Life and Portal being the most speculated about right now. As if Star Trek AND Star Wars wasn't enough.

Edited by Reverend Jax

• 7 months later...