Hondo's Bar

Metal Gear Solid 2

The NZA

So far, its surpassed the hype.  Plot twists, innovation, attention to detail, amazing soundtrack score, voice acting - infuckingcredible.  Ive got two new gamecube games - Super Smash Bros & Pikmin, expect to hear more on em later - and i'm kinda torn.  This game is superb, thus far.  As usual, ill put up a review when i'm done...a few folks have told me the endin is more complicated than Evangelion, but i really went for Eva and its endin, so we'll see.

Thus far: If you have a PS2 without this game, you might as well sell it and go buy a hello kitty lunchbox or some shit instead, 'cause your wastin the system (lookin at Timbo here).  If you dont have a PS2, this, and possibly FF X might be enough reason to get one.

From what I've seen of watching nick play endlessly...I think MGS2 is worth it's hype.  I never thought I say it...but not all military games are bad.  It's interesting enough for sure and I'm sure I'll hear more about it soon enough.  I'm kind of glad that I distracted Nick with two new games...but then again I distracted him away from me too.  So hmm..."stupid, stupid, stupid."  I bet noone knows where that came from.  Maybe nick if he can remember.

Guest Heartlessbitch

hm, well yahve i told you the fung shui is off in here.

i attempted to register, but when i did, i now have permission to do SHIT, i tried posing, it said i didn't have permission, i tried to start a new topic, it said i didn't have permission, so now i have to log on as a guest if i want to voice my opinions on this message board.

this is irrelevant to the topic, and even if you Floridians don't know WHAT the hell i'm ranting and raving about half the time, i really want to tell you about a little band out of nor-cal called Cake.

Last night my friends and i went to see then @ UC Davis at Freeborne hall, and i must say they are one of the BEST live bands i have ever seen.  plus we were right up front.. i mean RIGHT up front, we were right in front of the body guards on the rails.

i have been to some concerts (ahem third eye blind and eve 6) which really suck because they sound shitty in person.  but CAKE is definitely a good band to see live, you will not be dissapointed.

and after the show we met the drummer and took a pic..if i can ever figure out how to post pics on this message board, i'll post it (even though nobody really cares, but it was cool metting him, really nice guy.)

so even thoughi know Miami is a seispool with mostly Rap and R&B and a lack of a rock/alternative/ska music scene per se, i encourage you to go out and purchase on of CAKE'S cd's.  i am a cake enthusiast, and i want to share the happy feeling you get after listening to a cake cd.

there 4 cd's are

1.) Motorcade of Generosity

2.)Fashion Nugget

3.)Prolong the Magic

4.) (and their new one) Comfort Eagle.

please support this little band from nor-cal.. i am sending this out into the great void in hopes that people will take my suggestion.

see yahve, i posted.  

and now the hearltessbitch has spoken,  goodnight.

Goddamn was that off-topic.  Yeah, hopefully Yahven nails that "permission" problem soon.

As for miam's cesspool, our R&B aint bad most times, but our rap is shit a majority of it.  I seriously think Ja Rule & DMX are overrated, but i dig Jay-Z.  Despite Bacchus' rants, there is good rap out there, we just dont play it much here.

Our alternative is decent, tho Zeta is always playin "Jeremy" (ugh) when i turn it on, which is rarely since im usualy with Big 106 Classic Rock.  But we arent without our Cake, least in my room.  Congrats on the show and meetin the band, glad to hear which groups are good live vs the many who arent.  Youre a lucky one...did you notice there's two versions of there last video, "Short skirt, long jacket"? Theyre both fuckin hilarious.

Uh...back to MGS...this seris kicks the shit outta most games out there, glad to see someone else is onto it.  A warnin tho Danny, i hear even the instruction manual spoils some of the great plot twists.  In all honesty, i could write an essay on all the cool innovative shit in part 1 and what ive played of 2 so far; cant wait to see this funky endin i keep hearin bout.

Timbo, GT3 aside, your PS2 is a dvd player/paperweight without this game.

There's an instruction manual?... Eh well, beat it a couple of days ago, Goddamn that was awesome.  I was kind of getting dissapointed with the story when BAM they just hit you upside the head with everything they got.  Now I guess it's time to go and beat it faster or something.

Allright allready im sold! ill play the darned game. hehe  

Ive beated both thej original metal gear and metal gear solid, well my lil bro beat the latter but i got him near the end, he just took over one day and beat it for me.  from what nick has shown me it is quite an impressive game, locker room pictures and all. thumbs up on konami to keep up the high quality throughout hte times.

Hideo Kojima is a fuckin perfectionist with a sadomasticistic crew of programmers, and it shows in the meticulous attention to detail.  Glad youre on bored, i can barely get Timbo to play....nah, im sure he's waitin on me to beat it.

Congrats on beatin the old NES Metal Gear, that shit wasnt easy at all.  Ever play part II? Thats where the real interestin shit started, Snake figurin out who FOXHOUND really is an all, tho not as much fun as the original.  

Hope Yahven gives it a fair shot, even the legendary Zelda 64 couldnt lure him back to consoles in the past... ???

Man!!! I soo wish I had a PS2. All I have is N64 Dreamcast and Playstation I cant wait until we get it because MGS2 sounds sooo kool. Tho I have already beaten MGS VR missions MGS1 stumped me at the end I was having troble finding out how to use the stinger missels. If anyone can help plz respond.    ;)

Well, i forget much of MGS 1, lemme know what part youre at.  If youre still stuck by next spring, remind me to bring my guide up with me, its great.  If i recall, the stingers were just first-person shootin, right?

Anyway, congrats on VR Missions, i didnt finish it - did ya open up the ninja? I played a bit with him, hes cool.

I'd be with ya on that one but sadly i never played Policenauts, so i missed out.  My friend went ape shit over that one tho.

As for part 2's girly posters...have you done that weird trick yet?  Try lookin at the first poster, the one in the ship's locker room, in first person view.  Zoom in on her...better qualities,and call Otacon.  Fuckin hilarious.

• 4 years later...

from Joystiq

The obsessed fans over at MetalGearSolid.org have posted an English translation of the design document for Metal Gear Solid 2. The document was previously only available to Japanese fans who purchased a documentary about the making of the game.

Among the revelations in the document:

* MGS2 was originally going to be called "Metal Gear Solid III," for extra confusion and symbolism.

* Raiden was designed partially as "a character in which women can more easily empathize."

* A consumer package containing both MGS and MGS2 was considered.

The full document also includes insights into the symbolism of the game's confusing story, and some thoughts on the nature of sequels in general. Definitely worth a read for anyone with an interest in this seminal game.

Read it, it is pretty interesting to see some of the ideas they had for the game before it became what we know it now. Looks like Kojima and Co, were rushed as a few bosses got cut and there were some interesting storyline changes. Apparently Solidus was originally supposed to STILL be president in MGS2, weird.

Also, Olga wasn't the Ninja, and you were never actually supposed to see Rosemary, so you were to be left wondering whether or not she was real.

That's kinda the tip of the iceburg.

Edited by bishopcruz

shit, post a direct link to it, ill read it for sure. I read everything i could bout MGS2 but never got to see the "document of", i hear it mentioned how Kojima wanted to have a big scene of the water rushing the tanker at the end of Snake's prologue mission to the game but the hardware just wasnt right for it...

and those twists you cited, that wouldve chnaged a lot of shit. I cant see the Solidus thing working, but then again the only thing iw as left convused about in 2 was how/why they did the liquid's-arm-on-ocelot thing.

ps nice sig george, you just had to be the most obscure kid on the block

shit, post a direct link to it, ill read it for sure. I read everything i could bout MGS2 but never got to see the "document of", i hear it mentioned how Kojima wanted to have a big scene of the water rushing the tanker at the end of Snake's prologue mission to the game but the hardware just wasnt right for it...

and those twists you cited, that wouldve chnaged a lot of shit. I cant see the Solidus thing working, but then again the only thing iw as left convused about in 2 was how/why they did the liquid's-arm-on-ocelot thing.

ps nice sig george, you just had to be the most obscure kid on the block

Whoops, forgot to post the link: Here it is.

Hehe. Glad you liked the sig.