Hondo's Bar

Misuse of Mod Power to view IPs

Reverend Jax

well, shit.

you of all people should know by now running a forum is like herding cats, and the best i can regulate trolls is 1) no voting and 2) the inevitable venting ones, i can suggest what theyre there for but its just a matter of time till someone doesnt get it or bypasses it to take a shot, and then its sharks on blood.

i still think anon's function of saying what you cant say, about your own life, is something that i and others dont see the need for but its fair that someone might.

ok, since weve got one vote of trust and one not so much (still hoping for more here when people are about), let's also ask this: hypothetically, what if it was joel that posted that topic, would that've been a fair use of anon? let's say the guy wanted to know how people felt without directly asking, cause that's not everyone's way, etc. It doesnt negate jax peering in, but is that something anon should be there for?

Ha ha, do I ever. I know the venting will come and I think it's one person that's diong all of it but I shall keep silent on the matter as I have no basis for said belief it's just my natural skepticism. What I'm saying is that thread was one of its actual "good" uses so it was kind of discouraging using it for the "right" reasons.

And yes I firmly believe that's the point. Maybe Joel's done this very thing in the past which is the reasonable purpose of why anonymous would be perfect for this reason. So nobody can say "OMG WHUT AN ATTENTION WHORE!", I was under the impression that ASC made the thread seeing as he mentioned something to that tune not long before this happened. I just think that's the point of the account and that's what it SHOULD be used for rather thans "Joel should leave, he's more trouble than he's worth" and other such nonsense. Like I said, can't regulate the bullshit but at least a better job could be done enouraging the opposite.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok, since weve got one vote of trust and one not so much (still hoping for more here when people are about), let's also ask this: hypothetically, what if it was joel that posted that topic, would that've been a fair use of anon? let's say the guy wanted to know how people felt without directly asking, cause that's not everyone's way, etc. It doesnt negate jax peering in, but is that something anon should be there for?

Considering that most every other thread that has Arch's name attached as "started by" has turned into a pissy dick-measuring, semantics argument, yeah I'd say that's one of the best uses for anonymous. It (theoretically) should have kept the discussion about the subject, not about the poster.

Hypothetically, would I trust Jax not to do it again? Sure, I guess, in most cases. Admittedly, if I was using anonymous to start a Jax-centric thread, I'd definitely be thinking twice about it.

Jax's ego gets off on people thinking he's an asshole, but not on people thinking he's a dishonourable asshole.

I don't think that he's going to use the IP check on anon/ madman/ trolls in this way again, because so many have told him it was dishonourable.

Plus, if the admin gave him guidelines, I think he'd follow them.

My problem with you is 2 things

A. You ran a IP check on a harmless post by anon. If the guy was being a dick or causing problems then you would have had the right to do what you did.

B. I feel the only reason you outed Joel was for the simple fact of feeding you own ego and to prove that YOU were right.

That said, how I feel isn't very relevant. The issue is whether this was an unethical use of my supermod power.

Your a buddy and I like you but even I feel what you did was wrong.

I'm going to write a book, just so that quote can go on the back.

Title:The road to smoothie stardom?

aw, well played, jax: you even let down newt.

this is like when batman wrote protocols about how to take the JLA down individually and it got out to Ra's al Ghul, and batman spent a while trying to get back into the JLA's good graces for betraying their trust.

yes. just like that.

It couldn't have been posted from anywhere. The whole point of my "outing" was that it was posted from the same IP as 500 other Archangel posts. So, that means from Joel's work computer or home computer.

I assumed that since he was his coworker, they were all at work before going out for beers. The only other explanation is that Joel had a bunch of friends/co-workers over at this house, and while HOSTING a get-together, was posting on Hondo's and ignoring his guests, then went to the bathroom before they all went out for beer at 12:30am, on a Thursday night.

Or y'know you would realize that Joel DOES check Hondo's at the most inappropriate times, including getogethers at both my house and Nick's, and that the story is pretty damn plausible. Now I'm not entirely sure who this guy is, chances are I know him, but whatever...

The whole checking of IP's thing is an issue because there should be a general board policy as to what the mods can use IP checking for, and that should usually be for tracking hackers or genuine illegal shit. You may disagree with the whole Anon thing, who cares?

What differentiates this from checking up one someone who Anon decided to call you a Pretentious sperm swilling cock-juggling piece of amphibian shit? Nothing.

But the fact that you 'outed' him, is pretty damn twatly, and the fact that you imagine that what you did is ethical amazes me.

The whole trust issue is a different sotry. Dunno, I don't post Anon, but I think part of the issue is that Jax doesn't think what he did was wrong, so I dunno how much I could trust that he wouldn't surreptitionsly check. Then again there is no way to be sure, so I guess the question is kinda moot. Assuming Anon posting stays, and Jax has the ability to check IPs then the doubt is always going to be there. Again, this is based on his attitudes in this thread.

Specifically:

Secondly, if I had thought it was a real ethical transgression, you should consider that I am now telling everyone here that I wouldn't have done it. If I did think I was doing something unethical, why would I have admitted to it?

That said, how I feel isn't very relevant. The issue is whether this was an unethical use of my supermod power. I feel strongly that actions should be ethical, so I'd like to hear the thoughts of anyone willing to post here. If at some point, we come to the conclusion that my use of IP spying was unethical, I will certainly pledge to never do it again.

So unless Jax comes to the conclusion that what he did was unethical, to expect him to not do it again is a bit naive in my opinion.

For fear of sounding repetitive...

It really rubbed me the wrong way when Jax admitted to running the IP. When I saw Anon was a new user and we were able to use him, I thought, "All the more power to whoever feels they need to use it," and I felt comforted that it could remain a blanket to hide behind because Nick has said on numerous occasions that he has the ability to run IP's but that he doesn't. At the same time, I also thought that he DOES HAVE the ability--would I ever want to post there and know that I will be 100% anonymous?

Now, I didn't know that MH & Jax also had the ability to run IP's. I trust MH would never run it for mal-intentions and I used to think the same of Jax. Unfortunately, his admittance of running it for something other than to properly moderate our forum--to use it just to prove a point...killed me. I don't know what to say. I was more disappointed than anything.

Jax: Hell, you've got the Hondo's world at your fingertips, use the self-destruct button--just don't let the masses know. You get what I mean? No one is perfect. Given the ability to do something, most people will do it. We can't keep an eye on people 24/7 and I don't expect everyone to be saintly and/or squeaky clean...but for the Lord's sake--don't advertise it! Run as many IP's you need to make you bust a nut, just don't let me know--let me keep being naive and thinking that you, Nick & MH and virginally pure and have only good intentions in everything you do.

The question is that even if the masses on Hondo's thinks that what you did was unethical yet you do not see it that way, how are we to believe that you will stop using it?

It's like Superman using X-ray vision to see if Wonder Woman is wearing panties.

Eh, I'm with Aarty on this one... Use your X-ray vision to look at all the punani you want. Just don't tell nobody or it'll cause a scandal.

The only time you should use the "I checked the IP" as proof of evidence is if it's being seriously mis-used like some ijit (idiot in hick-ease) uses it and spams the shit out of Hondo's or something to that effect.

Other than that, check all you want for all I care. If I wanted something to truly be anonymous, I'd make a troll *cough*canesfan*cough* and post from another location either a library or a 'net cafe or something.

But yeah... I can see the point of Anonymous posting... Someone wanting to test the waters beofre coming out of the closet about being gay or wanting to change genders, or political stuff, or ask a question they'd not want associated with their name, etc.

To be honest though, I don't think I'd ever use Anon, I'd just talk about the thing with my wifey and close friends before making a decision or anything.

The question is that even if the masses on Hondo's thinks that what you did was unethical yet you do not see it that way, how are we to believe that you will stop using it?

I think that given anon was being used for ill rather than its intended purposes a few times, he was semi justified, but as nick rightly said, it was used as an oust to arch, kinda throws me a little, still though, i trust jax, every good leader has a blemish or two on their record, even minor misforgivings, and i think that he wouldn't i.p. check anon if it were being used for its proper purpose, instead of thinly veiling questions.

I did read what you posted, DoJ. But I disagree. He didn't run the IP check when Anon started posting with the wrong intentions; he did it beforehand because he JUST KNEW that it had to be Archangel who had started a thread about himself. If he had run it to catch whoever was posting like a dousche and found it to be Archangel, then he was justified in the admittance because he was doing his moderators duties. But he didn't and he wasn't.

I tried, those two tits up there decided to try be pedantic over something rather unimportant and probably didn't read my thoughts, but fuck it, nothing new there

merely a bit of light hearted banter, something we could do a bit more of here.

but i did already state my feelings on the matter.

i think jax was wrong to check the ip, that should only be done if the person is being abusive or spamming

but i trust that if it's a set rule that he can only check ips in the above circumstances, regardless if it's by someone he does'nt like/agree with

Archived