Hondo's Bar

Misuse of Mod Power to view IPs

Reverend Jax

Talked to jax about this today; he'll be around to say he was wrong here soon enough, i imagine.

He did, however, want to have sort of an ethical discussion to lay the groundwork on this sorta thing, as far as when its ok to check IPs and when it's not, since i really didnt outline that prior, and that's worth getting into.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that the circumstances in which Annon's IP was checked made it unethical. Do I trust Jax to not do it again if it is an actual rule? I don't know. He himself has said that he wouldn't have brought it up if he thought it were unethical, which may have just been a poor choice of words, but sounds rather ominous to me. That said, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this.

Just to let you know (I think I've mentioned this before, I'm pretty sure I've told MH), I can see IP numbers of posters (in their posts) in the Anime forum. It seems needless to say, but just in case, I will not check them (its not been listed as my job, and I haven't seen any times where it would be called for in there, even if it were my job).

I think some sort of set rules as to what anon should be used for is in order too.

They should be made by the person that made Annon, but we don't exactly know who that was, do we? I do not suggest checking, by the way :FHD:

"[ice Hockey] originated around 1800, in Windsor, where the boys of Canada's first college, King's College School, established in 1788, adapted the exciting field game of Hurley to the ice of their favorite skating ponds and originated a new winter game, Ice Hurley. Over a period of decades, Ice Hurley gradually developed into Ice Hockey."

i figured anon should be for one's own personal woes, to vent about things in their life they might not be comfortable doing otherwise. if its just there to take potshots, then yes, its madman 2.0 and not needed. im sure that could be more specific, though.

as for jax's likelihood to again violate anon's anonymousness, that's his to say. I (again) personally believe now that its in the open and people're saying it was the wrong thing to do (swear to god, bishop and newt spit on him before saying hello last weekend), he's got the point and wont do it again.

OK, so I wanted a good ole fashioned ethics debate, so I postponed by actual public apology in hopes of getting a good yarn a-spinning. But now I think this thread has run it's course, the best course I could hope for anyhow.

That said, here I stand in cold light of your collective judgment. I come before you a humbled man. Never 'gain shall I wander off the path that lay before me, the high and narrow road of the Hondo's moderator. It is a mighty power I wield, and I will forever be weary of the heavy burden it weighs on my fragile mortal shoulders. Never again will I unleash the awesome force I am entrusted to bear without the full awareness of my actions. Know that I will carry the consequences and costs of my actions to my grave, and that I will now rededicate my life to the responsibility of upholding the ideals I swore to defend with my life, and my mouse click.

I am at your mercy, oh wise and angry mob.

Archived