Hondo's Bar

Best Heavy Metal Band

Best Heavy Metal Band  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Really? No love for Iron Maiden at all and a sigh in the poll? I'd prefer a band that's goofy and over the top about barbarians than a band that's goofy and over the top about suicide (pantera) And you listen to the riff in 22 acacia ave. and tell me it's not the most rockin thing in the universe. Not that I don't like Pantera, but I'm not looking to any of these bands for life lessons. I mean, I like Dave Mustaine's hard hitting political reporting as much as the next guy, but I suppose "Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?" is not as much a substitute for Chomsky, as it is a collection of badass riffs.

My pick will have to be Black Sabbath, because "Supernaut" makes my head explode.

And good metal isn't impossible to come by nowadays. Wolves in the Throne Room falls into the category of "Black metal that actually sounds like something" and are pretty excellent. Genghis Tron is manages to put keyboards into hardcore without being goofy and sound great. The Converge is still putting out really good stuff and they're not THAT old, their best album was out in 2001. Anyways, yeah, this shit will never be popular again, but there's good metal to be had.

yeah Converge's Jane Doe is fantastic, i'm seeing them live next month. i just love how focused it is. botch are good too. i gave death metal/grindcore a try way back, still love napalm death haha.

pelican and ISIS, as well as cult of luna are good "post-metal" bands

i guess, in a way, metal's such a degenerate genre, because it connotes so heavily to that "metalhead" mentality

i can't listen to sabbath's "sabotage" at all now, used to dig that album years ago. used to think tony iommi was great, but hell, it just sounds like jazz watered down. i can't listen to the same 2 power chords being played over and over in 4/4

dilinger escape plan are pretty awesome, love their time signatures. not exactly a band i can listen to a lot of though

Edited by Lorelei

Well if you're going to associate any genre of music with it's fans it looks like you're going to have to stop listening to music, because people are morons.

And well, Sabbath has never really been about wowing anyone with technical prowess. Speaking of people who do that, I'd like to point out that prog metal exists. Go Dream Theater. And more recently, to mention more good stuff of the past 5 years, go Mastodon.

Really? No love for Iron Maiden at all and a sigh in the poll? I'd prefer a band that's goofy and over the top about barbarians than a band that's goofy and over the top about suicide (pantera) And you listen to the riff in 22 acacia ave. and tell me it's not the most rockin thing in the universe. Not that I don't like Pantera, but I'm not looking to any of these bands for life lessons. I mean, I like Dave Mustaine's hard hitting political reporting as much as the next guy, but I suppose "Peace Sells... but Who's Buying?" is not as much a substitute for Chomsky, as it is a collection of badass riffs.

no sorry, no love for iron maiden they're the line that bands should never cross.

and i totally agree with you on the lyrics or lack thereof, they're complete tripe.

but really who listens to the lyrics? they mean fuck all in metal or most classic rock, the voice is just another instrument.

My pick will have to be Black Sabbath, because "Supernaut" makes my head explode.

and i agree (what's going on here? :misty:)with you here again sabbath fucking rock.

i can't listen to sabbath's "sabotage" at all now, used to dig that album years ago. used to think tony iommi was great, but hell, it just sounds like jazz watered down. i can't listen to the same 2 power chords being played over and over in 4/4

aw man, i love that fucking album. i'm listening to it right now actually.

symptom of the universe is the metal song for me.

god i love the same two cords in 4/4

oh and junker i agree once again that metal today is still good, down, black label, ozzy, orange goblin, electric wizard, corrosion of conformity

Well if you're going to associate any genre of music with it's fans it looks like you're going to have to stop listening to music, because people are morons.

one final agreement here, now i gotta go over to noise and slag it off or something :2T:

And well, Sabbath has never really been about wowing anyone with technical prowess. Speaking of people who do that, I'd like to point out that prog metal exists. Go Dream Theater. And more recently, to mention more good stuff of the past 5 years, go Mastodon.

dream theater are one of my most hated bands lmao. i just like the old prog not this neo-prog shit. such pointless music

• 6 months later...
You're a fan of def leppard aren't you?

Nah, couple okay songs but overall they basically suck. Okay, maybe they don't suck as much as Down, but they still basically suck.

So, wanna try again?

Oh and BTW, how in the blue hell did you come up with Def Leppard?!? The thread is about metal, not glam...

Nah, couple okay songs but overall they basically suck. Okay, maybe they don't suck as much as Down, but they still basically suck.

Do you even know who Down are? Have you ever heard any of their songs?

Down - Eyes Of The South

Down - Jail

Down - Learn From This Mistake

So, wanna try again?

Try what again?

Oh and BTW, how in the blue hell did you come up with Def Leppard?!? The thread is about metal, not glam...

You were surprised we were slagging off a crap band, so i assumed you liked crap

p.s. ^_^

Edited by alive she cried

"Do you even know who Down are? Have you ever heard any of their songs?"

Yes, I have. If I hadn't, I wouldn't have said they suck. FYI, if it's metal, there's a very good chance I've heard it. My collection spans nearly 2000 CDs right now, including traditional, power, prog, thrash, black, death, doom, and any other metal subgenre you can name, I helped run an online metal radio show for 2 years, I've devoted a great deal of time to learning about the history of genre in it's many forms, and I don't criticize bands I haven't heard. So yes, I've heard Down, I mean hell, it's not like they're some ultra obscure band who would have never crossed my path if not for this board.

"Try what again?"

Guessing my tastes.

"You were surprised we were slagging off a crap band, so i assumed you liked crap"

Crap band? Maiden have LOST more talent than Down will ever have to begin with, so...

Okay you took off AC/DC and Deep Purple
ac/dc and deep purple are not metal, they're hard/classic rock

Didn't Deep Purple used to be a choice in here?

We've discussed this before

Crap band? Maiden have LOST more talent than Down will ever have to begin with, so...

What can one say? There's always one

• 2 years later...

Shit son that's obviously thrash right there, NOT metal. Pft, where's the real shit on there like Slaploop and Terrordon. Real hard METALCORE type shit bros. Grunty's Sin would've taken my vote, but whatever. yall obviously dont know anything. That shit will make your mind bleeeed.