Hondo's Bar

Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me

OK, so some people here (like Lindsay) enjoy the show Pushing Daisies (thread here), so I thought I'm make a thread about the other shows by that show's creator, Bryan Fuller. After watching a few episodes of Pushing Daisies, I checked it out on Wikipedia and found out the creator was also behind Wonderfalls and Dead Like Me. I had heard good things about both, so I downloaded them and here's what I got to say on each.

Wonderfalls.jpg

Here's a show that was raped so badly by Fox, it was jealous of Firefly (though Clerks Animated is still jealous of it). 13 episodes were produced, it was moved from it's original time slot with promotion after it's first week and was canceled after 4 episodes aired. There was a big hub-bub by those who were lucky enough to catch it, and it found life about a year later in DVD release.

The show centers around an apathetic 23 year-old Brown graduate (with a philosophy degree) who is currently working in a Niagra Falls gift shop named Jaye Tyler. One day while working, a gift shop item begins to talk to her, specifically, it orders her to do things. She quickly finds that she regrets not doing what she's told. The strength of the show is the quirkiness and the characters. I ended up watching all 13 hour-long episodes on one day off. Highly recommended.

DLM_logo.JPG

Dead Like Me was aired on Showtime, which is cool because you get the occasionally 'fuck' in the dialogue. This series had a much luckier fate in that it lasted 2 season (and a direct-to-DVD movie is in the works). I'm only 6 episodes in, so here's what I got so far.

It centers around George Lass. She is a unmotivated, apathetic 19 year-old who, when her mother forces her to go out a look for a job, is killed by a toilet seat that falls from the Mir Space Station. Before she died, her soul was removed from her body by a grim reaper. Grim reapers are given times, locations and names of people who are going to die, and it's their job to remove the person's soul. Some souls go straight into the afterlife, so have to stay behind and be reapers for an indeterminant amount of time before they can move on. George has to be a reaper. On top of having to reap souls, she still has to eat, and reaping don't pay, so she has to get a day-job at an office as well and squat in the apartments of the recently deceased. The show's cast includes other reapers, George's day-job coworkers, and the family she left behind (though she';s told not to contact them, and she appears different to the living anyway).

The show is good, but not as good as Wonderfalls (about on par with Pushing Daisies). Watch Wonderfalls first, then this.

Anyone else seen these shows?

I've been a big fan of Dead Like Me for years. I've been wanting to pick up Wonderfalls for a while but I keep hesitating. I honestly think that after Clerks TAS, Dead Like Me, Firefly, Deadwood, and Veronica Mars, I'm just not ready yet to add more heartache to my brilliant-but-canceled TV collection.

I've been a big fan of Dead Like Me for years. I've been wanting to pick up Wonderfalls for a while but I keep hesitating. I honestly think that after Clerks TAS, Dead Like Me, Firefly, Deadwood, and Veronica Mars, I'm just not ready yet to add more heartache to my brilliant-but-canceled TV collection.

Haha, well, after I recommended Firefly to the board, you said

Y'know what, I've been hearing good things about this for years, I've been reading great reviews, I've been hearing fantastic stuff about it from friends, and I've loved every trailer for Serenity I've seen, an' now you've all this stuff to say about it so...fuck it, I'mma go out and buy it right now.

I know the heartache is there, but do you really wish you'd never seen Firefly?

OK, so I seem to be preaching to the choir about Dead Like Me, and invoking only mild interest in Wonderfalls, which is the series I'd rather people see, so I'm posting the first episode.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

Part 4:

Part 5:

Ok, I just found out there some new Dead Like Me coming out! Straight to video though. Someone on the IMDB boards said that if it does well, they will make a 3rd season... which would be awesome if that's true.

PS I'm not ignoring Wonderfalls, but this is wonderful news! I'mma watch that first episode one of these days.

Ok, I just found out there some new Dead Like Me coming out! Straight to video though. Someone on the IMDB boards said that if it does well, they will make a 3rd season... which would be awesome if that's true.

PS I'm not ignoring Wonderfalls, but this is wonderful news! I'mma watch that first episode one of these days.

Oh? A possible third season? Each and everyone you'd better step up, and do your part to encourage more of this series being made. *cracks knuckles ominously* Otherwise, we may have some... problems.

Archived